"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:26:03 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Future of Stealing  (Read 14290 times)

Re: Future of Stealing
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:55 am »

@rejfyl
read my idea from the bottom of the page

@brad smalls
been there done that, it ended in exploting back then. Also I as a thief never steal for money. I do it because a) it's the most interesting thing this game provides b) I love when people like Pluto rage, makes me moist

@everyone else
deal with it kids

No,you deal with it.Enjoy your shitty skill while I laugh off how terrible your trolling is.
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 11:04:23 am »

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

A 16-year-old calls everyone around kids ;) Funny. Reminds me of someone...

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:37 pm »

Either you come back to the topic or another one gets junklocked.

avv

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2010, 08:21:56 pm »

Alright let's try to come up with something here. We can all agree that succesful thievery cannot be most dependent on steal%. This will just lead to frustration of victims and endless cycle of nerf'n'buff.

We need more factors to be taken into account and be utilized by players. These would be (I took them from previous suggestions, don't be offended)

Darkness
Target's line of sight (better chances from behind)
Ammount of people at the crimescene
Tagging thieves or somehow paying more attention on certain people

But even then the little something is missing. It's about the final moment when you either feel someone lifting your pockets or don't. It can't be skill% roll vs perception because that will just encourage maxing steal and low cha players getting mad.
Okay I though about it for a while here it is: to succesfully steal something a thief has to remain certain ammount of time beyond his targets line of sight while observing the victim. After that his "intel bar" filled, he knows what to steal and he gets to advance towards his victim while still unnoticed, advance right behind him and then he can steal stuff.
Whether you're noticed by other people around is dependent on their ammount, lines of sight and darkness.

It's purely dependent on player's self awerness. If you're dumb and don't look around frequently, there is a chance that someone lifts you pockets.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »

Ammount of people at the crimescene
I don't want to spot a thief when he is stealing something, because we're working together, should I look at opposite direction everytime if thieves working together/have someone to hold thier items?
If you say about party tagging, then thief can tag thier victim.
So it won't work until party-system will be changed like Izual suggested at one old thread.

avv

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:07 pm »

I don't want to spot a thief when he is stealing something, because we're working together, should I look at opposite direction everytime if thieves working together/have someone to hold thier items?
If you say about party tagging, then thief can tag thier victim.
So it won't work until party-system will be changed like Izual suggested at one old thread.

I kinda meant that more people means less chances to get caught because guards have more targets to watch.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:29 pm »

I kinda meant that more people means less chances to get caught because guards have more targets to watch.
Oh, ok, then how a thief can steal something from a guy, when 5 his friends looking at this thief? ^_^

avv

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2010, 11:06:25 pm »

Oh, ok, then how a thief can steal something from a guy, when 5 his friends looking at this thief? ^_^

It would only concern npc guards mostly because they announce the thief publicly once they see him. The five friends are also looking at many other things unless they tagged the thief. But honestly I've got not good solution how bystanders would spot stealing and what should happen when they do.
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010, 02:50:08 am »

I like a lot of suggestions in this thread. If some of the 'nerfing' ones were implemented it would probably even be acceptable to remove the animation for successful steal attempts like Nyan wants.

It's about the final moment when you either feel someone lifting your pockets or don't.

What about a check against the victims free carry weight? If they have a >50% full backpack then they don't get this bonus, but if they have 99% empty backpack they get a 49% bonus against a steal attempt. It was suggested before and it would definitely factor into this.

About other players seeing thieves, maybe if they have more than -200 town reputation they could report it to a guard. I don't know how you could let them know they saw it though, probably just a message in the messagebox.
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.

avv

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:16 am »

What about a check against the victims free carry weight? If they have a >50% full backpack then they don't get this bonus, but if they have 99% empty backpack they get a 49% bonus against a steal attempt. It was suggested before and it would definitely factor into this.

Problem with all kinds of checks is that you can still fail due to randomness even if you do everything right. But it could be related to carry weight, there just had to be a way to see whether they carry lots of stuff or not. Best system comes out from the one which has everything to do with player vs player mindgames, not stat vs stat rolls.

About other players seeing thieves, maybe if they have more than -200 town reputation they could report it to a guard. I don't know how you could let them know they saw it though, probably just a message in the messagebox

Yeah reputation could have something to do with the reporting the crime. I was also thinking that every bystander could have an intenser field of concentration right in front of them. It could be about 3-5 squares long. If a thief and his victim happen to be at this field when the crime occurs, the bystander sees it. So it would be up to the thief to find out whether many bystanders see the crime. 
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:39 am »

autopush will never happen and guards to kill thieves, just not in NCR. Go hang out in vault city.
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 03:00:13 am »

Autopush is by far the best suggestion in this thread.

I would also like to see an additional timeout of 5 minutes for stealing from the same person after exiting the inventory window.

Most of the other suggestions are crap to nerf stealing even more.
You may hate thieves, play 1 for a while before you start talking about nerving it.
As said before, even level 21 thieves with 300 skill will fail.
Leveling is painfully slow, you'll die a lot, wonder around the map a lot, etc.
It's probably 1 of the hardest builds to level.
It's good as it is.

avv

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »

You may hate thieves, play 1 for a while before you start talking about nerving it.

Nothing needs nerfing or buffing, but changing so that steal is less dependent on passive factors and more dependent on player's personal cleverness. It's actually buff because player's cleverness holds no limits so your thieving skills can be infinitely good. However if you're bad player it may seem like a nerf.
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »

Nothing needs nerfing or buffing, but changing so that steal is less dependent on passive factors and more dependent on player's personal cleverness. It's actually buff because player's cleverness holds no limits so your thieving skills can be infinitely good. However if you're bad player it may seem like a nerf.

Personal cleverness?
Like what?
Line of sight of the victim?
You're not very clear.

Stealing is fine as it is.
Today I had 4 or 5 fails in about 15 attempts while my skill is above 250.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.