"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 19, 2024, 08:43:20 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Player vs. Player System.  (Read 8885 times)

Solar

• Rotator
Re: Player vs. Player System.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »

1.  Devs will add more content but thats is going to take a very long time since they are pre-occupied with 3d.

This isn't the case. 3d is a player driven thing. Most effort is being directed at content at the moment, specifically developing the NPC factions into things which actually serve a purpose. (Which includes quests, PvE and PvP - so something for everyone)

Lordus is correct, when there is more content there will be less player killing.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:16:12 pm »

For me guardet towns=you can use your high theif skill whitout ketting killed
i was visiting NCR whit a caracter the last day, got robbed, and went armed whit a caracter in the town itself(moast stupid thing)

so please
REMOVE THE AMMO HOLSER NEED IN NCR,**** THE POLICE IN NCR,I WANNA HAVE MY GUNS UNHOLSTERED
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:54:13 am »

none of my friends play fonline anymore, because of yes, PK. after a while you get bored of losing all your stuff (which you had gained by spending your time travelling through the map to reach the hq mines, mining, crafting) to a killer burst from nowhere while you are in an encounter in the wastes. after a point it becomes repeatative. among the 7 player gang, i am the only one who still keeps playing. and there are times that i dont touch it for days.

my char is a crafter, although it is lvl 21 and has 198 hp, i get killed every 4 of 5 times i go to a hq mine (if i am lucky). going there with an armor and weapons means nothing but taking more to lose. what is the point of having a crafter char, if YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PVP ALT to mine? it is impossible to play this game without alts. an alt for crafting, an alt for mining, an alt for pvp, an alt for trade, at least two alts for buying a base... an alt for everything.

i know this is "faction mode", but then why not "faction wars" but "kill 'em all"? factions can declare wars to each other and if the other faction accepts this, these faction members can shoot one another at sight even in guarded towns where carrying a weapon in active hand isn't forbidden. but non-faction members and members of factions which isn't in an active war can't kill other players (except for thieves and TC) and can not be killed or looted just for tah lulz... so, those who want pvp can pvp till they drop dead, and those (like me) who want to hunt critters and mutties can hunt safely. i strongly believe this would encourage new players to play the game, reduce the need for alts, and form a better player relations. when i encounter a player in the wasteland, it would be nice if he/she asked me "would you like to trade some hides for ammo" or "i need first aid, can you heal me"  instead of instarun or instashoot.

as it is now, unlimited pvp and full loot don't go together. devs have to limit one or another. i know "weastland is hursh" but i believe you have noticed that it is getting emptier day by day.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:07:16 am by Nyarla »

Kanly

• The future is today, worry about it tomorrow!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:19 am »

When I go to mine I use a stalker alt, until now no problem at all (and you don t need armor for him)

Or you may play with a doctor and you don t must go mining ... ( Be a doctor is a easy way to caps)
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:44 am »

When I go to mine I use a stalker alt, until now no problem at all (and you don t need armor for him)

Or you may play with a doctor and you don t must go mining ... ( Be a doctor is a easy way to caps)

actually i don't craft for caps. all my friends transfered their caps to my account while leaving the game. the caps in the base were also left to me. i craft for weapons and ammo. thanx for the tip, i better build a stalker alt.
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 02:37:18 am »

Lordus is correct, when there is more content there will be less player killing.

I respectfully have to disagree, unless the amount of content intended to be added is insanely large, players who PK in this game do not play it for the content, they play it for the fact they can kill anyone, anywhere, and get their jollies feeling powerful taking out weaker targets, with little to no risk, and zero consequences.  Not a single person who has killed me has ever said to me, or their friends in the area, "Gah that was boring I wish I could quest somewhere and talk to an npc rather than taking things from lowbies."  It may reduce the amount of pking for a brief time simply because people will try the content, but that won't last either.  

As long as people can terrorize weaker targets get all the stuff they want from it, and get the rush of feeling superior, with no possible way to stop it, it will not stop.

I know that changes can be scary and people will hesitate when it comes to the thought of losing something rather than gaining.  But that VERY same hesitation is what stops people who truly enjoy all the aspects of this game 'except being picked on by overpowered Pks,' from playing this game.  I mean even the hardest core PvP people on here consider quitting when they get overrun by more powerful opponents, and there's a LARGE gap between them, and the average player who wants to enjoy the other parts of this game.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:24 am »

Off Topic, but this is not really a fix, making yet another alt, or doing something in game you may not want to do, JUST because it's the only safe thing?

On topic, in reference to the above quote, unguarded mines will and should always be a place of PvP action, my suggestion sadly doesn't have a balancing factor for those types of areas.  Though I would be willing to add any ideas people may have for those areas, but keep in mind they are specifically designed to be PvP challenges.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »

Disagree all you want. The amount of people standing around grid camping will naturally decrease as interesting content is added. The effect is demonstrated in a small degree with Hinkley.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 07:47:47 am »

Disagree all you want. The amount of people standing around grid camping will naturally decrease as interesting content is added. The effect is demonstrated in a small degree with Hinkley.

I'm not talking just about grid camping, and The Hub Old Town, is a prime example of that not being true.  They had to reinforce the guards there because more people were camping it not less.  As stated above the people who PK don't do it because they kill other players (like in Hinkley) they do it because they get stuff, lots of stuff, with little to no challenge.

Since wipe even after Hinkley being added, I've been killed more than before wipe.  There were more players, and more Pkr's.  Like I stated earlier 4 nights in a row I was attacked in different areas, there is a PK group that stages near Junktown, they head to the mine to regroup and then hunt in the area, every night.  I understand that you have hopes with the future added content.  But so long as people can attack weaker players for their stuff, they will.  The only thing that will change that is the possibility of it just flat out not being possible to do it. 

So on topic, there's a suggestion that increased content may slow pking, this is about the PvP system itself, and a possible way it may balance and close the gap between hardcore PvP/PK players and players interested in the above mentioned content.  I would love to have more content to enjoy and test, but as it is, I'll be killed every chance people get, good luck taking gear, or being able to level to do any of that content.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 01:19:27 pm »

There is no way to measure it, so saying its increased or decreased is pointless - especially since our data mining is currently not working, which would have been the only real test. The only thing to say is that while X number of people are busy in hinkley, or the glow, or any up coming content, they are not out there killing people. So they only effect will be to lower the random PK.

I can save you the trouble of this idea rumbling on. PvP will always be open.
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:15 pm »

So I take it, you're in charge of the PvP portion of the development.  I do understand your point of view.  However as you stated without exact numbers there's no proof of anything.  This is true, there's just thread after thread, about shop shooting, town bombings, and area camping.  The fact that Dev's have had to change things just to try and slow down the abuse people deal with in towns.
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=10901.0
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=10869.0
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=9215.0

Perhaps a comprehensive protection, when in guarded areas?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5788/boom4.jpg
This was tonight at a guarded mine, 4 slaves with over 60hp and leather armor hit for 270 dmg, that's enough to take out most PvP uber characters, all while guards shot at the bomber, who still managed to make it to the attack.  Could have just as easily been players waiting on cooldown or sitting in NCR itself, all their stuff gone.

Why is it such a bad thought to ask for people to have a chance to be safe?  All I have read is people wishing they could actually spend time in towns, interact with others, have a chance to build a community.  There has got to be some kind of way.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:18:54 pm by Trokanis »
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 04:11:46 am »

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=11881.0

The above topic gives me an idea to add to the suggestion.  Perhaps make it so just for the first few seconds upon encounter pvp is not allowed, giving both parties a chance to 'set up'.  Since people seem to say we're going for 'realism' here, that would add some, because when you come across an area filled with gunfire in the Wasteland you're not just gonna walk up and stand there for a few minutes letting everyone take careful aim.

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »

What's the reasoning behind a player with disabled PvP?  The would-be PKer's gun jams?  I mean, why wouldn't he be able to shoot the disabled pvp guy?  Doesn't make any sense, isn't how it'd work in the real world.
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:54 am »

Very true but soo many arguments in this game come from the different points of real world physics.  I'm sorry in the so called most powerful city in the wastes they're gonna remember the name of thieves, shop shooters, and bombers, and NEVER let them in town again, or at least for the cooldown of vilified reputation. 

This isn't a factor of trying to bring more 'realism' into the game, it's attempting to open up a broader spectrum of game play.  Rather than it ONLY being you playing the odds to WHEN not 'if' you get caught in some PK trap that may set you back a few minutes of game time or HOURS.  I am well aware of the fact that you can survive out in the wastes using simple techniques, however there are dozens if not hundreds of posts from devs/mods complaining how NO ONE trys to spend any time together in the wastes and in the towns.  The only way to get anywhere is to trust ZERO people, pray a lot, run from everything, and hide in the farthest corner you can til you get just enough xp/gear to come into a town, in which case you better pray MORE.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »

Either 2 servers which is a bad idea because there are limited no of players and GMs or simply divide NORTH and SOUTH so that North would be purely pvp and South settler-like (No one would be able to pvp). Dont respond with "It will ruin the spirit of fonline" because tbh this game has so little players theres no spirit at all
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.