"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 20, 2024, 01:02:04 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Kind of disappointing (Shop shooting)  (Read 8740 times)

Kind of disappointing (Shop shooting)
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:53 am »

Usual day in a dog eating dog fo)
I gathered a big amount of stims and other staff and came to shop to buy myself equipment, as I understand Hub is a protected city and if someone will start to shoot at you he will be killed too. Apparently not. So here is the new way to rob someone. One is coming to you with smg and fires at you 2 loads of lead, kills you, taking you're stuff and putting it on the ground. The other one taking it and leaves without any consequence. Sure - the first one will be killed but what he losses? Nothing. There are several shops in game-world where no guards present. Like this on:
http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=12-034536L&rand=3632&t=jpg&m=09&y=2010&srv=img4
Give me your opinion, it is supposed to be like this?
Nicknames of those 2: loki and argon.
Beware!) Of course it is obvious that they could be a pair of NNN number mults.

maszrum

• Soldiers of Thunderstorm
Re: Kind of disappointing (Shop shooting)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »

i am also disappointed, its 3weeks after wipe and game is quite dead :l
nothing is happening, boring

how this far - worst season ever

Signor

• Hairy Potter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »

All I see is you standing in a store alone... and even if there were guards inside I would presume the result would have been the same anyways.
This method is already well used elsewhere even in the middle of NCR to some success with no amount of guards stopping it assuming they picked the right mark to target.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:44:18 pm by Signor »
Scientists will eventualy stop flailing around with solar power and focus their efforts on harnessing the only truly unlimited source of energy on the planet: stupidity! ~ Scott Adams
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:53:49 pm »

If someone gets murdered in a guarded city, it'll be one of a few things:

Exploiting bad guard AI.
Taking advantage of the lack of guards in a specific area.
Being a dick.
Killing someone so their friend can get their stuff.

Of course, the reality is you wouldn't be able to get away with it in a city - the guards will realise what the hell is going on.

To compensate for the AI's shortcomings and people's neverending ability to take advantage of it, I propose that if you die in a guarded town you just get sent to the local hospital and you get to keep your items.

Signor

• Hairy Potter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »

To compensate for the AI's shortcomings and people's neverending ability to take advantage of it, I propose that if you die in a guarded town you just get sent to the local hospital and you get to keep your items.

That would just create more problems especially concerning thievery.

Player A steals from player B, player B then shoots player A at which point player A awakens in hospital with all his stolen loot ready to get away scott free.
Scientists will eventualy stop flailing around with solar power and focus their efforts on harnessing the only truly unlimited source of energy on the planet: stupidity! ~ Scott Adams
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:17 pm »

Player A steals from player B, player B then shoots player A at which point player A awakens in hospital with all his stolen loot ready to get away scott free.

We just need to get rid of PvP stealing. I just can't see how it can work without being totally retarded. The fact that you know someone is trying to steal from you, and can't do anything about it. Or, alternatively, using lockpick on you for LOLOLOLOLOL I TROLL U.

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:21 pm »

I think better and simpler would be if the guards just shot everybody who tried to loot a body in guarded town...
Although I don't know how would that work against people using frag nades...
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »

I think the best solution would be if guards just shot the guy that killed someone in the first place + all his mates. And everyone the bad assassin ever talked to ingame, just to be sure.

The other would be to stop whining about stupid shit.

(this post doesn't help anyone, nor does it intend to)
"“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

Didn'y you folks already know??  Fonline is totally all about roleplaying a super douchebag.  Sure there are some nice folks here and there but otherwise the game just caters to griefing.  If your not griefing then its YOUR fault and your missing out so stop whining or join the griefing fun.   Man, the nerve of some people to expect the game to have any sort of fairness is appalling.  If you can buy a car, it can be griefed.  If a city is guarded (well obviously), you can be griefed anyways.  If your travelling you can be griefed.  If your crafting some thief could grief you.  When your buying shit you better have super good multi-tasking twitch reflexes cause thieves will come test you as soon as you walk up to a vendor (ask yourself can you browse the  insanely crowded sea of used and little bit of new merchandise, move your goods, get what ya want placed down, and conclude the sale all the while watching for thieves or suspicious skills used AKA first aid).  If you cannot handle the aformentioned things, just cancel your shopping experience whenever someone makes a suspicious move.  I paid someone 20k for a roach and thanks to a rollback, his char got put into a fight and got killed without his knowledge (money of course is gone).  Just for the lulz you can run into random encounters and get placed right in the MIDDLE of a caravan (funny thing is they dont like people being so close and they shoot you dead).  You can attempt a quest to get small guns 3 and, for the LULZ, anyone can fuck it up for you.  The list goes on and on.

I can't believe people just come here and NOT ALREADY KNOW, Fonline is totally about the griefing.  Damn nubs should stop whining or go play WoW.

PS:  Sarcasm for the win.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:52:11 pm by Keldorn »
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:36:50 pm »

You know what, sarcasm aside you're 101% right.

I came to fonline from UO, sick of people wanting secure this and secure that and insured quip and PKs being devil personified. The list goes on.

From what I gathered of FOnline, before I started playing it, was that it was harsh. You're a n00b, someone shoots you, takes your stuff. You're a n00b, someone follows you to your tent, you lose stuff. So I figured this must be the one MMO where people won't cry (too much) over lost pixels. But from what I'm reading on these boards, 90% of forum population should just play Hello Kitty MMO where everything's safe, everything's free and you can't lose anything. And even then, someone would find something to complain about.

It's not the complaints that piss me off. It's the attitude. Game balance is one thing and reasonable comments on that are ok imo. But when people start with xy is overpowered because it killed me, xy should be changed so I don't lose my stuff I spent 1 hour gathering and making, xy is too hard to get and is totally overpriced...I guess this isn't the game for you. Go play another game, where stuff is secured and difficulty is set to the level where 30 year old mothers with no life can raid while breast feeding their kid.

The wasteland is harsh. So is FOnline. Or at least it will be, if you fuckers don't ruin everything.
"“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »

Well when people think of Fallout, they don't think of a twitch reflex game.  you can be honest about that atleast.

People think of the original Fallouts when they think of Fonline.  They don't expect to walk into an FPS enviornment where you can lose anything within a few seconds due to way too many factors to count.

If you want pvp thats fine but your western audiences wont pickup on it much.  There are games out there with much better pvp and graphics to boot.  Character builds, skill trees, loot tailored to certain builds. 

IMHO not a lot of folks want a real wasteland cause then its just fucking depressing unless they are masochistic with game punishment (like me).

So if the devs want the servers dead and combat so tough idiots need aimbots and other haxxorz like packet filtering to gain an advantage then go for it.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:13 pm »

If people want WoW, they should go play WoW, not try to make FOnline into it. That's all I'm sayin'. :)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »

They don't want WoW per say.

People come atleast because they like the idea of a Fallout MMO.  More like it because its like the originals, (and not like some oblivion with guns deal Bethesda rellased).

But the thing is when legitimate concerns are addressed, they shouldn't be swept under the carpet with the wasteland is tough excuse.

Whats the point in guarding towns then when the guards cannot do their jobs?  Why not make every town a wild wasteland?

Becuase then nobody but the hardcore would play.  Soon even those folks will bitch because of hacks or cheats and then you have a game with nobody.

PVP has to have some kind of order to it.  A simple non-monetary reason WoW is so popular is because of PVP balance.  Every class has an advantage over another.  Sure a rogue can stunlock a mage but let see him try it on a warrior?

In Fonline, shit like sneak nade/burst totally fucked up pvp.  The whole who shoots first wins deal.  So then what do you get?  More of the same builds to compete.  No variety.  Keep in mind the majority of pvp action happens in towns where combat is RT.  Whether its TC or some asshole trying to start a war by ganking, twitch reflexes win the day.  The loss of twitch reflexes is so severe that people have to resort to aimbots and packet filtering hacks to get an advantage or just to compete.  Am I the only one who sees this problem?

Everyone get a chance to experience end game content, not just the L33T.  If those folks who arn't L33T can't handle end-game then fine.   Atleast they get to try it out.  Wonder how many folks rage quit Fonline?  Again, most of your hardcore pvp crowd demands graphics and action that only a FPS can bring.  Talkaall you want about hardcore but your hardcore base will always be the minority compared to those who come in looking for something different in a sea of sameness.

Better yet compare Fonline world to some third world country rife with constant despots and rebel militas.  You think anyone is really happy there??
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:02:32 am by Keldorn »
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »

Very emotional. (c)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:19:16 am by Separatist »
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:36 am »

No it wouldnt!

The simple solution/implementation is that if you are "protected" then you wake up in the hospital with your items. Want to make it more harsh? Make it a percentage or base it on luck! You die while protected in a city with guards you wake up in the hospital with 50% +5% per luck point of having your items.

Did you steal from someone and they shot you but they had seen you so you are no longer protected? Bam you are dead, no items and you are back at starting point.

Overall I agree with Keldorn. Its one thing to say you were out in the wastes and you got killed by NPC's or PC's... okay you lost your items, tough luck, take revenge next time etch (although the killers should get a global negative karma but thats for another discussion).

but here we are talking about an obvious exploit!

I seen it happen in NCR! Guy goes next to his target, he bursts at him, if that doesnt kill him the numerous guards in the area will ussually also burst and that will ensure the death of the target and the "fall guy". Then the fall guy's friend will immidiatetly jump and rob the body of the target. (its also easy to see whats someone carrying in order to decide your target, even if you dont manage to steal cause they ran away you still get a look of what they have in their inventory).

Is this how it is "supposed" to be working? If a dev says yes then no worries, matter is settled and closed... but I thought that by "protected" we really do mean protected city as opposed to unprotected!

Another "trick" would be to disallow looting a non-flagged/unprotected player which would allow me to get back my stuff if I was robed and killed the robber. And by disallow I mean that the guards would shoot the looter as well.
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.