"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 03:05:50 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Items deteriorating over time.  (Read 14482 times)

Re: Items deteriorating over time.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »

please give up, you suggested a suggestion to the public. They hate it...why? because its shit and uneeded. What is wrong with item hoarding?
From my understanding it seriously fucks with the economy that devs are trying to make nice, and the more items there are, the faster the server crashes. I may be wrong, but nobody bothered to point it out to me, so without an answer I'm assuming I'm right.

seriously, there are all kinds of people that plays this game. Some play for the purpose of pvp, some play to roleplay, hunting and collecting items/crafting high tier weapons/armor is just another way to enjoy this game. You just eliminated one of that fun factor by adding items deterioration. For a fact, my old gang would quit if this idea was implemented. Its a small gang with roleplayers and treasure hunters. They find it fun to go out hunt rockets, lsw, laser, avenger, gatling and stock them up.
Nobody prevents you from repairing the items. Once every 60 days a guy with 200% repair and super toolkit could come and make them brand new and sparkling in half an hour.

Please remember, no matter how hardcore this game is or how "harsh" the wasteland is. This is still a game and people play it for fun IN THEIR SPARE TIME. It makes me sad at reading these kinds of suggestions, it only adds to griefing and adds nothing to gameplay. People need to think up more fun suggestions.
Actually, this is an open beta and what people need to do is treat it that way, not like a game that should be enjoyed right now.
Devs need a shrine elected and get their asses kissed at least once a day for giving us what we have now all for free and made in their spare time.
I really cant get the point of this suggestion. Whats it about? Making it harder for factions? What for?? It also makes it harder for an average solo player as im sure they all have shitloads of stuff in tents (i mean, who doesnt?). Really, give it up, looks like noone likes it.
Really, try to understand what I'm saying.
If you are an average solo player, you hoard stuff. After you get 10 desert eagles you start scattering them around the ground. Then you get better stuff, but can't be bothered to clean up. Then you steal a dozen combat shotguns from an event, but they are valuable so you don't use them. The only time when people start using most of their stuff is near wipe. "Because it will go to waste anyway," so I'm trying to motivate players the same way here. Use your items, or if you don't care, let them disappear.
<Izual> Let's crash server

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »

All suggestions to make gangs/factions/bands weaker/slower are pointless I'm afraid. It's the simplest math - three people gathering/crafting/fighting are more effective than single one, no matter of skills. It's not a game about "how powerful and almighty I AM", but "how powerful MY GANG can be". "Faction mod", remember? I'm pretty sure that every group larger than 5 persons has at least one 200%+ repair char, so it will only hurt solo players without "repair alt" for their own. There was a dude, Martin Blues, "Wasteland Garage" - he was repairing your stuff for free. He got bored, died or found some other things to do, because I couldn't see him for a long time. Anyone else so kind and generous around?

Forcing people to do some specific actions ends mostly in exact different way - look at all events, or should I say "mindless slaughters", if GM will say "no killing".

And about ass-kissing shrine - I can definetely agree with that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:42:17 pm by Wichura »
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 08:53:09 pm »

Actually, this is an open beta and what people need to do is treat it that way, not like a game that should be enjoyed right now.
Devs need a shrine elected and get their asses kissed at least once a day for giving us what we have now all for free and made in their spare time.
Actually, if a beta tester can't find fun in a game he is testing then it is a fail game. Am i not right?
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 08:58:00 pm »

Really, try to understand what I'm saying.
If you are an average solo player, you hoard stuff. After you get 10 desert eagles you start scattering them around the ground. Then you get better stuff, but can't be bothered to clean up. Then you steal a dozen combat shotguns from an event, but they are valuable so you don't use them. The only time when people start using most of their stuff is near wipe. "Because it will go to waste anyway," so I'm trying to motivate players the same way here. Use your items, or if you don't care, let them disappear.
Somehow i think you base your facts only on personal experience and logic. I still use crappy desert eagles and combat shotguns as much as P90's and sniper rifles. It just depends what i use for what (the better ones usually go to PVE, as its more easy to loose them in PVP). Forcing players to have less items just makes the game more harder. Not that i dont like hard gameplay, this is just unnececary harder. Just forces you to repair your stuff this and then. And whats the change? Well, someone gonna have to waste around an hour each week just to repair his stuff.
I give a fuck.
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:30 pm »

All suggestions to make gangs/factions/bands weaker/slower are pointless I'm afraid. It's the simplest math - three people gathering/crafting/fighting are more effective than single one, no matter of skills. It's not a game about "how powerful and almighty I AM", but "how powerful MY GANG can be". "Faction mod", remember?
Where did I suggest making anything weaker? It's about making people think, "might as well use it if I have it," and about cleaning up after long-gone players.
I'm pretty sure that every group larger than 5 persons has at least one 200%+ repair char, so it will only hurt solo players without "repair alt" for their own. There was a dude, Martin Blues, "Wasteland Garage" - he was repairing your stuff for free. He got bored, died or found some other things to do, because I couldn't see him for a long time. Anyone else so kind and generous around?
I'm guessing the poor guy got fed up with being treated as an NPC with interaction limited to, "hey, repair this. thanks."
And even a person with 0 repair will have more than enough time to use his items. If it were 1% a day, then unless it's a magic armour of awesome +5, anything you will "use in a little while," but postpone for more than 30 days, isn't really going to get ever used.. Or do you know someone or yourself stashed an item for later use and all the time remembered about it and used it 40 days later?

Actually, if a beta tester can't find fun in a game he is testing then it is a fail game. Am i not right?
Good point. It depends on what stage a game is at, but yeah. I probably went too far with that.

Somehow i think you base your facts only on personal experience and logic. I still use crappy desert eagles and combat shotguns as much as P90's and sniper rifles. It just depends what i use for what (the better ones usually go to PVE, as its more easy to loose them in PVP). Forcing players to have less items just makes the game more harder. Not that i dont like hard gameplay, this is just unnececary harder. Just forces you to repair your stuff this and then. And whats the change? Well, someone gonna have to waste around an hour each week just to repair his stuff.
I wouldn't call the deagle and combat shotgun crappy. Especially the latter can do serious damage against deathclaws even.
But meh. So let's get rid of bases after30 days of inactivity.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:11:46 pm by blahblah »

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:26 pm »

blahblah, i tend to stock up on items myself, and i can tell you exactly what i have in my tent with Kurgan, my slaver/armorer/treasure hunter, and i personally think that this suggestion sucks all the life out of my career, with this nobody will even want to buy stuff from other players, thus halting the economy completely all because they can't stock up on weapons to use for a later date, i've had a few low level players with a bit of cash buy one of my snipers so that they could store them til they can get to an adequate level, if this is implemented then that will be absolutely unnecessary for that and a loner with an occupation such as myself would suffer immensely since i will lose my only source of caps and through that adequate equipment and materials for crafting my protection, this reply may have flaws but so does your suggestion, in fact, if i had the time i would poke holes in it throughout the next 5-7 hours, but i have pressing matters to attend to within my real life, something you have obviously not taken into enough account in your suggestion.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 12:42:38 am »

What if I burn out and leave the game for a while?

Should I lose everything?

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 12:44:28 am »

Well, if you don't visit your tent for a timespan of a few weeks, it will be deleted.
So "sort of" item detoriation is already in.

To be honest, I don't find the idea of the OP  so stupid.
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 12:54:54 am »

blahblah, i tend to stock up on items myself, and i can tell you exactly what i have in my tent with Kurgan, my slaver/armorer/treasure hunter,
But you are playing the game on an at least semi-regular basis. If you hadn't, then you would not have a tent any more.

and i personally think that this suggestion sucks all the life out of my career, with this nobody will even want to buy stuff from other players, thus halting the economy completely all because they can't stock up on weapons to use for a later date, i've had a few low level players with a bit of cash buy one of my snipers so that they could store them til they can get to an adequate level,
Armour indeed can be less attractive with 5% det as compared to 0%, but guns? To use a sniper with high accuracy you need maybe a week of casual playing. 1-2 hours per day where you go shoot stuff on PvE. After 2 weeks of lying in a tent, the sniper they bought would be at 14%. That's around the same as it would deteriorate after using it to kill stuff for an hour. Is losing 1% a day so bad? I'd say 1% per two days, but then you'd need 230 days to make an item disappear, which is outrageously long given that wipes occur more often than that.

in fact, if i had the time i would poke holes in it throughout the next 5-7 hours, but i have pressing matters to attend to within my real life, something you have obviously not taken into enough account in your suggestion.
I did. I did! :/
I stated clearly that the time to lose 1% is up to people to decide :<
One percent people, one percent.

Yep. You already lose your tent if you do. And if you keep your stuff in a base, then other players can maintain it or use your stuff instead of you.

To be honest, I don't find the idea of the OP  so stupid.
*does a happy-dance*

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 12:55:41 am »

I find it bad because of the ammount of micromanagement of silly stuff necessary. I go for a week and I lose a tent. Yeah, right, big deal or no big deal it's gone. And with this system in place I'd have to spend quite a lot of time on maintaining almost all of my equipment. For this reason alone this suggestion is utter bullshit - it really is as mundane, boring and repetitive as the ones concerning eating and hydration. And honestly, "Armory Maintenance: The Game" is never going to be even half as fun here as it is in Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 no matter how hard you try ;D

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 01:02:29 am »

Heh, yeah. I always had a good time with my equipment in JA2. :D
Thanks for the good memories.
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 11:26:04 am »

The only bad thing in this thread is crying of players, who are afraid. Really, when I crafted alot sniper rifles, what I do with it? Of couse it laying in my tent... it was so boring, so I equiped metal armor and sniper rifle and then started to shoot at guards in town, and do other stupid things, because I don't know why do I need so many rifles. Also I got alot assault rifles, but I just disassembled it all for metal parts and junk for faster crafting sniper rifles, which I wasted/gave later.
I don't find good:
- "Ehh, I have 100 miniguns laying in my base, and you?"
- "Damn, I don't have room for my combat armors, they are laying everywhere, and I don't know why."
- "Oh, post-nuclear world is so harsh, we're so poor!"
- "Yeah, children in towns are starving, but I have only 50 bazookas, 535 sniper rifles, 50k .223 ammo, 300 laser rifles, and nothing to give to poor children!"
- "Nuclear war is cool! We have more equipment, than before! I want second nuclear war, so we'll have more guns laying everywhere, it'll be cool!"
- "But what will you do with equipment?"
- "Hmm, make screenshots and show everyone how much guns I have?"
- "Yeah, exactly! That's good, that "Items deteriorating over time" suggestion by blahblah was rejected, 'cause of crying children, who want to have alot equipment laying everywhere!"
- "Ok, good luck, I going to make more miniguns for.. errr... don't konw, nevermind."
Changed nickname. This acc not in use anymore. Please, devs/mods/gms/ whoever, you can delete it.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 11:59:56 am »

Real problem is abundance of items. Why don't you come up with something what would replace bad system with good one instead of focusing on how to reduce already bad feature with even worse solution?

Or do you think we should be playing in wasteland with tons of items that decay over time? I would prefer lack of items and especially ammo but with stability in their condition.
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 12:30:11 pm »

Real problem is abundance of items. Why don't you come up with something what would replace bad system with good one instead of focusing on how to reduce already bad feature with even worse solution?

Or do you think we should be playing in wasteland with tons of items that decay over time? I would prefer lack of items and especially ammo but with stability in their condition.
You are right. The real problem is items are too easy to get, but how can you balance that?
There are two sides of FOnline. One is gangs of people grinding 24/7 and doing whatever they can to be better than other gang. The second is single players or tiny gangs which can't even enter a northern city without dying in one second.
So if you make items take more time to craft - gangs will still have plenty, but single players will have even less.
If you make looking for items more time consuming - gangs have a lot of time and a lot of people, single players are alone and have less time.
Maybe make getting items require looking in caves and fighting tough monsters? - then single players won't get any, and large gangs will find a way to suicide-kill anything.

Balancing games is hard. Especially when losing everything is very easy, gaining new items shouldn't be hard. But then the human mentality kicks in saying, "I can lose it fast, so I better stockpile."

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 01:27:15 pm »

No cooldowns! Whole crafting system is based on cooldowns. You don't need to put a lot of effort in order to get materials its just job for patient people. I've already posted my suggestion about that in other thread http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=2464.0 .
Imho system of "search -> reward" is better than "click -> wait" and I think with that system it would be easier to limit item numbers. But essentially its not only about crafting, its about whole game and its mechanics starting with item cycle get-use-die-loose and ending with item balance and there are many changes that would have to take place in order to actually reduce item numbers in wasteland and change it from tons to few and make hi-tech stuff truly unique. One change would not solve that over night no matter how radical or in this case (item deteriorate over time) silly it is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.