"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:23:34 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Turn Based Combat - Action Points  (Read 4383 times)

ToxiCAVE

Re: Turn Based Combat - Action Points
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 04:14:53 am »

And think about tb traps. They will just turn on combat and skip turns to multiple their ap.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 01:30:05 pm »

@codave,toxiCAVE

It's sounds the same but is isn't. With your idea we can have one man walk 16 hexes in one round! It's like he would move twice as fast as he normally would.
My idea doesn't add up APs in a sense, because all you do is moving your action into the next round and have the AP loss penalty. You can't stock up your AP to have more move or other stuff going on. Instead your act would be continuous.

Imagine a scale:

........|........|........|........|

You have 8 AP and the lines are the rounds. When you reach 5, you left with 3 more AP. Next shoot req. 5 AP again, but I can't shoot because it says "no sir, 8 AP per round".

-->

- Let's not forget that rounds represent 10 sec time segments (well it could differ but in most table-rollplaygames it is the standard - basically this is a RPG with a table game system its just that a computer does the calculations instead of you). -

-->

So If we look at the scale from here you can see that you break the continuous flow, because you can't have your act done where you clearly will have the time. In the current system you have these rounds but without connection to each other. They are all separated existence which I have a problem with. I want to connect these rounds.

I hope you understand what I mean. Anyway...

@falloutdude, yoz

Maybe because big guns were always an OP thing in the fallout universe, think about FalloutTactics and all of the F series. It's not the AP system's fault, they are simply OP.

But just to clear something, 7AP to shoot a minigun -2AP from fast shoot If I'm correct. That means 5AP to shoot once, 10AP to shoot twice.

If My character happens to have 12 AP on default, it means I can shoot 2 times, and the 3rd would take my remaining 2AP. Next round starts me losing 3AP and there goes my 3rd shoot. I have 9 AP in the 2nd round. I shoot once, remains 4AP. Then my next shoot goes to the next round, -1AP from next round. 3RD round I have 11AP and I shoot once, then twice more and left with 1AP. There, you can only shoot 3 times in the 3rd round.

In total you shoot 7 times till your 3rd round ends. If you calculate it with the current system you can have 6 shoots till 3rd round.
So it means you gained 1, ONE plus shoot till 3 rounds.

(To simplify things just do this calculation -> 36/5=7 and 1 remains | contra the current system where you have 3 times 12, which means you will have 6 shoots and 3 times 2 remains.)

Over 10 rounds - 120/5=24 shoots | contra 12/5=2 and this ten times = 20 - In the long run you gain 4 shoots.

Please, reconsider.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:34:28 pm by mrbrain30 »
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

Your idea isn't good. Fast shot aply to aimed shots only so no -Ap to burst.
The main problem with your idea that it overpowers those who have the first turn. Lets see I have my turn with 11 ap and burst you 2x with a grease you survive it with 10 hp now in the current system you could heal up or try to kill me, but with your idea implemented I could do one more attack which would kill you without you having a chance to win.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 02:44:49 pm »

The main problem with your idea that it overpowers those who have the first turn. Lets see I have my turn with 11 ap and burst you 2x with a grease you survive it with 10 hp now in the current system you could heal up or try to kill me, but with your idea implemented I could do one more attack which would kill you without you having a chance to win.
Your right whereas if your leftover ap carried over to the next round then it would be less of a problem.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

"Fast shot aply to aimed shots only so no -Ap to burst." and then you say - "I have my turn with 11 ap and burst you 2x with a grease". Fonline Wiki says it takes 6 AP to burst with grease. That makes 12AP to shoot twice.

- But let's assume you wanted to tell me you have 12 AP. OR please correct me in your next post about the greaser and then I will tell you the scenario -

You said your first round? You stated you have 12 AP, first round.
You burst me twice with grease. You have 0 AP left.
You simply pass the round I have the time to heal myself or to kill you in my round. Let's say I healed myself. Your turn, you have 12 AP again, and you can shoot twice again.

I don't see the problem here.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 02:54:43 pm »

Bonus rate of fire sorry missed it out I always take it so I sometimes even forget to mention it. It makes attacks cost -1 AP.
Without bonus rate I could use 10mm smg which needs 5 ap for burst.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:02:08 pm by Jotisz »

codave

• Professional Noob Trainer
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »

OP, I know what you meant, it just reminded me of something I had floating around in my head, which is what I posted.

@ Yoz, other folks.

Yeah, it would be crazy.  I also never said you'd like it, just that I thought it might be interesting.  In fact I would probably hate it as well.  It doesn't exactly have to work like that, though.  It could be something similar, but with less AP's stacking or rolling over, etc.  Possibly up to a max of 12 AP, and not if you skip your turn with full AP, you have to have fired at least once, etc.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »

Bonus rate of fire sorry missed it out I always take it so I sometimes even forget to mention it. It makes attacks cost -1 AP.
Without bonus rate I could use 10mm smg which needs 5 ap for burst.

Okay, then let's see. 10mm smg burst takes 5AP by default. With the "bonus rate of fire" perk it costs -1AP. That makes it 4AP to burst.

Then let's say you have 11 AP as you mentioned before, and it's your first round.
You shoot twice, that makes 8 AP, and you are left with 3 AP. You want to shoot a 3rd time, which you will in the next round.
My turn, I make my move and do something, not relevant.
Your second turn, and you star with your 3rd shoot - after which you will be left with 10 AP. Now you have 10 AP and you can shoot twice.

Your point was that you will have an advantage over me in your first round, which is not true.

If you calculate you will have 27 shoots over 10 round while now you could only have 20. And most important don't forget that everyone will have the same advatage of using their APs up to the maximum.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:21:53 pm by mrbrain30 »
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 03:25:19 pm »

OP, I know what you meant, it just reminded me of something I had floating around in my head, which is what I posted.

@ Yoz, other folks.

Yeah, it would be crazy.  I also never said you'd like it, just that I thought it might be interesting.  In fact I would probably hate it as well.  It doesn't exactly have to work like that, though.  It could be something similar, but with less AP's stacking or rolling over, etc.  Possibly up to a max of 12 AP, and not if you skip your turn with full AP, you have to have fired at least once, etc.

No no no no no.
No AP's stacking or rolling over. Nothing like that. No stacking up till 12 AP. No.

Read my post again and think like it would be a motion. My point was all along to have the rounds connected. Think it over again, maybe it's hard to see first but please try.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »

Ok it may be strange but from the previous ones I got the impression that I can use up ap from my next turn to finish my current one.

Well then another one lets say I do what I said my next turn should start with an attack but you moved out of my sight. What will happen then?

I don't wanna argue but I don't think it will work nor that it would be good.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »

I have 8 AP.
When I shoot with my shotgun it costs me 5 AP. I have 3 AP left.
I don't want to move and I don't want to use those 3 AP for defense, but rather than that, I want to use them for shooting (but you can't because of the limitation of the Turn Based system). Now this is my idea:

I have only 3 AP left, so When I try to shoot again, the game first takes away my 3 left AP, pass to the next person (round), and when its my turn again, it will simply take away 2 more AP (that makes 3+2=5), and allows me to shoot on the very beggining of my second round. It blocks any other action from my part, I first have to take the shoot and then I will be left with 5 AP from my second round which I can use for the second (sum=third) shot (or whatever I want).

(If you don't have a target then the game simply takes you 2 AP and won't allow you to take that shoot. You continue your round.)

What I wrote is just a suggestion to what the problem is and what happend to me, mainly the loss of usefull AP.
Exactly the same effect as left over aps rolling over to the next round

codave

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

No no no no no.
No AP's stacking or rolling over. Nothing like that. No stacking up till 12 AP. No.

Read my post again and think like it would be a motion. My point was all along to have the rounds connected. Think it over again, maybe it's hard to see first but please try.

I understand what YOU mean, I'm simply suggesting an alternative.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

As far as I can tell, neither idea is very good.
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »

Ok it may be strange but from the previous ones I got the impression that I can use up ap from my next turn to finish my current one.

Well then another one lets say I do what I said my next turn should start with an attack but you moved out of my sight. What will happen then?

I don't wanna argue but I don't think it will work nor that it would be good.

But it is what you said, you can use up AP from your next round in a sense BUT the action will happen in your next round.

If I move out of your sight then nothing happens, you lost the AP and the ammo. I guess the game could take your AP away, so you would think twice before shooting. Again, If you don't want to risk it, you can just pass the round.

@ThePhoenix77

No. Because If I roll my APs to my next round that would mean I would have 8 plus my left over.

What I'm saying is when you start doing something it takes up a certain amount of time. 5 AP in my case. When I'm left with my remaining 3 AP I can start the procces of shooting again, taking 3 away, and then in my next round the needed 2 remaining. It's not APs stocking. It's motion.
The action will take place when the needed AP is "paid".

codave

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »

But it is what you said, you can use up AP from your next round in a sense BUT the action will happen in your next round.

If I move out of your sight then nothing happens, you lost the AP and the ammo. I guess the game could take your AP away, so you would think twice before shooting. Again, If you don't want to risk it, you can just pass the round.

@ThePhoenix77

No. Because If I roll my APs to my next round that would mean I would have 8 plus my left over.

What I'm saying is when you start doing something it takes up a certain amount of time. 5 AP in my case. When I'm left with my remaining 3 AP I can start the procces of shooting again, taking 3 away, and then in my next round the needed 2 remaining. It's not APs stocking. It's motion.
The action will take place when the needed AP is "paid".

I think your suggestion makes more sense if you think about it in terms of taking a loan on future AP's.

You can get the needed AP for a second shot right now (loaned), and it is deducted from your next turn (paid back).
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »

That would mean you would act faster than your character physically can.

Don't forget you have 8 or 10 or 12 AP for a round because that's the speed of your character.

What you are saying would mean you take future AP, which is like time would go slower around you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 3.238 seconds with 25 queries.