"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 20, 2024, 12:51:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sheriff/Regulator idea - Special Perk - An Alternative to Slaving  (Read 9446 times)

Hey all,

Let me first just say FOnline is a fantastic concept and I put my hands together to the dev team for making it possible, secondly I have been a long time follower but first time poster.

Anyhow introductions aside let me get down to it:

Whats the idea?

Basically turn the slaver concept around for characters who wish to play 'good guys' or wasteland sheriffs/regulators... The great thing about this is the coding and tools are already in the place with the whole slaver 'career/faction' path, instead of picking on 'innocent' NPC's however a character would round up and turn in 'evil' NPC's (such as Raiders, Mobsters and of course slavers.)

How will it work?

Well a player would have to be 'sworn in' as a Sheriff/Regulator (I prefer Regulator) the two locations I had in mind are the NCR Sheriffs Officer and the Hub Police Station - In order to be sworn in however the player would first have to complete a set of quests ranging from easy to hard (much like the old Redding Deputy quest from Fallout 2.)  

Upon completion of the three quests the player would be sworn in as a 'Wasteland Regulator/Sheriff' given a badge and sent on their way.

As a Regulator though a player would then have the option of tieing up 'unconcious' evil NPC's (with rope of course) and frog marching them to the nearest Law Enforcement Office for trial/imprisonmentl (Redding, Hub, NCR ect)

The player would recieve caps and exp based on how 'powerful' the NPC brought to justice actually is - the MAJOR differences between being a Regulator and a Slaver are as follows:

• Prisoners cannot be used as slaves, they simply follow the player around until handed in to a town Sheriff
  • Not all NPC's can be captured by Sheriffs only those deemed 'law breakers' such as Raiders, Mobsters, Slavers ect

Positive aspects to the Role

• Huge increase reputation with the various town citizens (the exception being Vault City since I doubt they would recognise the authority bestowed onto the player.)
  • Pay outs for NPC's delivered to Justice (both exp and caps.)
  • Some NPC's would automatically recognise players as Sheriffs (whether good or bad.)
Negative aspects to the Role

• Mindless PKing would obviously be frowned upon (constant PK'ing of innocent players would lead to being expelled from the role
  • Would be HATED by Slavers, Raiders, the mob families and other Criminal Organisations
  • Difficult to leave the role (but not impossible) once left however can NEVER return as a Regulator
  • Prisoners cannot be used as slaves or mercs, they simply follow the player until handed in to a Sheriffs/Police Office.

Well thats my BASIC idea, let me know what you all think, please feel free to add to the suggestion,

Thanks for reading,

Rad

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:00:59 pm by Radman2307 »
---

"They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well, I'm going to give them back their hero."
Re: Sheriff/Regulator Role
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:08:15 pm »

I really like it. I would also suggest the name Lawbringer.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »

I really like it. I would also suggest the name Lawbringer.

I like 'Lawbringer' sounds like a good name for the Perk aswell.

(ala Fallout 3 - Which I have only briefly played)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:22:31 am by Radman2307 »
---

"They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well, I'm going to give them back their hero."
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:15:31 am »

i like!  :D

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:41:58 am »

Regulators are the people occupying New Adytum, no lawbringing noblesmen like you maybe mistake with the FO3 ones.
Also, it sounds nice on the paper, but how do you consider "evil" NPC? What is "evil", anyway? It's a bit too ambigious.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 02:45:15 am »

Also, it sounds nice on the paper, but how do you consider "evil" NPC? What is "evil", anyway? It's a bit too ambigious.
General Lawbreakers, rapists, sociopaths etc...

It doesn't have to necessarily be evil but it's still frowned upon by society or "normal people".
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 09:30:01 am »

Regulators are the people occupying New Adytum, no lawbringing noblesmen like you maybe mistake with the FO3 ones.

I am aware of the term 'regulator' from Adytum as that's partly what the idea is based on, I can hand on heart say I haven't played fallout 3 long enough to know about the Lawbringer perk, i'm. Purly an old school FO player (also New Vegas now too) and always have been.

The word Regulator is purly an American one that dates back to the time of the first Settlements and was often the only form of Law Enforcement areas had, I just think it fits in with the fallout setting more then say "police office" but hey perhaps "peace officer" would work better?

As for 'evil' perhaps I used too general a word but I'm fairly sure common sense can dictate this one:

Raiders - Everyone fears them, they rape and Pilage settlements for resources
Bandits/Robbers - They rob and murder travellers and merchants for supplies.
Slavers - They kill and enslave people.

Like I said, I know there is the whole "grey" moral compass in fallout universe but this is fairly obvious as to who is "bad" and who isn't. The best way to look at it would be what could an NCR Court but an NPC on trial for? If you can't think of anything substantial then best off leaving the NPC out of it.

Factions such as the Enclave whilst considered evil by many should remain out of it for the simple reason being the NCR doesn't know enough about them, plus roping someone up who's wearing power armour is silly ;)
---

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:33 am »

i thought that they are just killing the bad guys, not "turning them in". I dont like the idea.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:08 am »

i thought that they are just killing the bad guys, not "turning them in". I dont like the idea.

Killing a bad NPC wouldn't amount to much, no real effort has been made by the player you've simply emptied your gun into someone, any player can do that. By 'turning them in' it works two fold, it takes a little effort to rope em up and then march/escourt them back to town and also some would argue that 'arresting' someone is the more 'noble' thing to do, atleast then the person gets a fair trial ;)

The idea is no different in concept from the Slaver faction if we're being honest, it uses the same mechanics the only difference being is it's at the other end of the 'moral' compass, a player is acting out a law enforcer instead of a law breaker, implementation of the role ensures both play styles are catered for.

Something I just did think of it might also help new players decide who's more trust worthy then others.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:07:58 am by Radman2307 »
---

Y0ssarian

• incredible
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:41 am »

Cool idea. Hope it passes.
power

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:03 am »

Killing a bad NPC wouldn't amount to much, no real effort has been made by the player you've simply emptied your gun into someone, any player can do that. By 'turning them in' it works two fold, it takes a little effort to rope em up and then march/escourt them back to town and also some would argue that 'arresting' someone is the more 'noble' thing to do, atleast then the person gets a fair trial ;)

The idea is no different in concept from the Slaver faction if we're being honest, it uses the same mechanics the only difference being is it's at the other end of the 'moral' compass, a player is acting out a law enforcer instead of a law breaker, implementation of the role ensures both play styles are catered for.

Something I just did think of it might also help new players decide who's more trust worthy then others.  

but in the way you describe them, they would work exactly like slavers, and they need to be opposite to them. Furthermore i dont think that for example in ncr sheriffs prison they would like to keep some slaver from den or raider from bh. I dont see much logic in this suggestion.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:09 am »

Now that you've described it better, I like it. Maybe we'd could even pop in some speech/Charisma Purposes.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:52 am »

but in the way you describe them, they would work exactly like slavers, and they need to be opposite to them. Furthermore i dont think that for example in ncr sheriffs prison they would like to keep some slaver from den or raider from bh. I dont see much logic in this suggestion.

They are opposite to Slavers, they don't capture 'innocent' or 'weak' NPCs they go after NPC Raiders, Bandits and Slavers, all other NPCs (such as farmers) would NOT be arrestable, nothing would happen if you tried to tie them up. Also as stated prisoners cannot be used as slaves or mercs when captured only taken to a sheriff for a bounty.

As for NCR not wanting Den persons clogging up their cells well, players COULD take them on over to Redding for punishment, but even if you take them on down to the NCR it can easily be explained away and justified in an RP sense by saying:

"The NCR is expanding northwards intending to take over various new territories, it intends to clean these areas up with it's own brand of frontier justice."

Remember the NCR sees itself as Americans only new hope for a brighter future, it models it's ideals and law on the past civilisation.

Failing that have it so 'Jurisdiction' is split between between Law Enforcement Offices:

The Hub - Southern Areas
NCR - Middle Areas
Redding - Northern Areas
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:29:17 am by Radman2307 »
---

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:39 am »

yeah and in f2 rangers ask you to kill all slavers not to capture them. Even when you meat "rangers" encounter in f2 near ncr, and talk to them they go like "how many slavers you killed today".  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:29:09 am by vedaras »
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:54 am »

yeah and in f2 rangers ask you to kill all slavers not to capture them. Even when you meat "rangers" encounter in f2 near ncr, and talk to them they go like "how many slavers you killed to day". 

Well this suggestion is an alternative, capture and turn in slavers. The only problem i see is the necessity of follower slots and processing of these prisoners (sent for hard labour at redding, what else do you have in mind??)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.