"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 20, 2024, 12:54:33 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sheriff/Regulator idea - Special Perk - An Alternative to Slaving  (Read 9447 times)

Re: Sheriff/Regulator Role
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »

A slaver vs. ranger conflict is planned as faction scenario-esque content addon for the future.

Lexx.

I appreciate that the Dev team has taken the time to comment on my suggestion, thank you but this isnt about a Ranger vs Slaver conflict, this suggestion is asking for the implementation of a faction that operates similar to slavers but is the opposite (being the Law Enforcement if you will.)

I personally would like to see this group seperate to NCR Rangers but that's just me ;)

No way. Just because someone hunts highwaymen alone and hauls them to some sheriff npc, it doesn't mean he should receive reputation. To receive reputation inside some community, one should help the players not the npcs.

Other than the reputation the idea is pretty neat, even though a bit singleplayerish.

To be honest I dont know enough about the town rep system to comment but I think its fair to say that being affiliated with a Law Enforcement community would mean that NCR controlled towns would like/support you more then criminal towns (New Reno, Raiders, Den ect)

I also thought reputation was gained by completing quests and joining NPC factions in Fallout Online?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:24:45 pm by Radman2307 »
---

"They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well, I'm going to give them back their hero."

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Sheriff/Regulator Faction - Special Perk
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 04:03:54 pm »

but this isnt about a Ranger vs Slaver conflict, this suggestion is asking for the implementation of a faction that operates similar to slavers but is the opposite (being the Law Enforcement if you will.)

So you want "Regulators" like in Fallout 3? I don't see this ever to happen, because there is no fundamental reason why such faction should ever exist on their own. Practically speaking, the NCR Rangers are exactly that: Hunting down slavers and freeing slaves--- in the name of the NCR, without being a special world-police force type of thing. So it fits the setting and has a believable backstory.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 04:09:33 pm »

So you want "Regulators" like in Fallout 3? I don't see this ever to happen, because there is no fundamental reason why such faction should ever exist on their own. Practically speaking, the NCR Rangers are exactly that: Hunting down slavers and freeing slaves--- in the name of the NCR, without being a special world-police force type of thing. So it fits the setting and has a believable backstory.
in this case let's do that for NCR rangers
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

No I dont want Regulators as in Fallout 3 (I previously said I never knew Regulators existed until this thread, I've only ever briefly played Fallout 3)

What i'm suggesting is that a new Faction be created, namely a NCR Federal Marshal styled faction (NCR Rangers arent this, NCR Rangers are a military group thats sole purpose in FO2 was to combat Slavers, i'm suggesting a much wider NCR Controlled Law Enforcement group - like Federal Marshals.)

This groups job wouldnt be soley hunting down slavers, it would be hunting down criminals within NCR's territory and beyond (it fits into the story due to NCR's need for expansion, the NCR want to 'clean up' the wastes to prove to the other outposts/towns that its worth their while joining the NCR.)

The group would operate mechanically the same as SLAVERS from a design perspective...

Hopefully I can explain it better here:

1. After completing three quests a player is offered a job as an NCR Territory Law man
2. The Player accepts the job (is now part of the Lawman faction)
3. Just like joining the Enclave or Brotherhood Reputation is affected, in this case all CRIMINAL organisations hate the player where as normal townsfolk like him (except for The Den, Reno, Vault City and others - its up for debate)
4. The player can now go out into the wastes, when they encounter a Raider/Bandit/Robber/Highway ect group the player has the choice of knocking a NPC out.
5. Once a player has knocked an NPC out and the area is safe he can now tie up the unconcious character
6. The Character now follows the player around however IS NOT a slave or Merc (no weapons can be given to the 'Prisoner')
7. The Player then takes the prisoner to the nearest town with a police/sheriff presense (Hub, NCR, Redding) and a small bounty is paid to the player when the prisoner is dropped off.

I hope thats cleared some things up...  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:20:09 pm by Radman2307 »
---

"They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well, I'm going to give them back their hero."

avv

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 04:49:45 pm »

To be honest I dont know enough about the town rep system to comment but I think its fair to say that being affiliated with a Law Enforcement community would mean that NCR controlled towns would like/support you more then criminal towns (New Reno, Raiders, Den ect)

I also thought reputation was gained by completing quests and joining NPC factions in Fallout Online?

Depends on what this reputation can be used. Atm very high rep can be used to kill people with lower rep. Would you like it if some law enforcement quest farmer killed you for fun because he had done this quest very long but you just entered the town with 0 rep?
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »

Depends on what this reputation can be used. Atm very high rep can be used to kill people with lower rep. Would you like it if some law enforcement quest farmer killed you for fun because he had done this quest very long but you just entered the town with 0 rep?

Ok so perhaps have it a one time deal, you would only be entitled to money and a little bit of EXP for each 'Prisoner' brought in to a Sheriffs Office.
---

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »

I think making a new faction is needlessly complicating it. Keep it simple, like with slaving. It's work you can do on the side: it just gives you the same kind of perk as a Slaver. You catch criminals and bring them to one of several NCR affiliated prisons (or just regular prisons), hand them in for caps and xp.

I think the reason Rad didn't want the Rangers versus Slavers thing is because he wants something with very similar mechanics to slaving - only you're working for the Law, hunting down 'bad' npcs instead of capturing regular ones.
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:28 pm »

As I know it's not possible anymore? You need to have ~1k difference between you and target like before, but evil devs also added other condtion: target must have < 0 rep or < -300, don't know exactly, anyway negative rep. So if you're 0 rep neutral guy, even 10000 rep exploiters won't kill you with no guard reacting, so it's not a problem.
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »

so what about a faction point system like that intended for bos and such??? but since this system is highly repeatable it must be dulled down somehow.
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 05:16:07 pm »

I think making a new faction is needlessly complicating it. Keep it simple, like with slaving. It's work you can do on the side: it just gives you the same kind of perk as a Slaver. You catch criminals and bring them to one of several NCR affiliated prisons (or just regular prisons), hand them in for caps and xp.

I think the reason Rad didn't want the Rangers versus Slavers thing is because he wants something with very similar mechanics to slaving - only you're working for the Law, hunting down 'bad' npcs instead of capturing regular ones.

That's exactly the concept behind it Badger, thank you for summing it up... I think i may have over complicated it in trying to explain it...  :D
---

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »

you get loot already as a reward, like that is not enough.
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

you get loot already as a reward, like that is not enough.

It's not about the loot, it's about having a different gameplay challenge.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Re: Sheriff/Regulator idea - Special Perk
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »

It's not about the loot, it's about having a different gameplay challenge.

Exactly. I like this suggestion. The only thing I disagree with is the badge item, which you can just lose when dying.
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »

Exactly. I like this suggestion. The only thing I disagree with is the badge item, which you can just lose when dying.

What I meant by this would be you get a nice 'Special Perk' picture in the Character menu - 'Lawman'

"Lawman Perk"

You've got yourself a Badge and a gun, better put them to good use and round up those wasteland bandits... People are counting on you!

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:36:48 pm by Radman2307 »
---

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »

I support this idea.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.