"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 03:38:36 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Robots!!!  (Read 8330 times)

Robots!!!
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:36 am »

Introduce robots as mercs. Craftable and available to purchase. Your intelligence and science levels determine how many robots you can manage. 60 science is required to program low tier robots and 120 to program high tier robots. As for intelligence, it determines how many robots you can have following you; the formula would be similar to that of charisma and mercs: int/2(round down) -1. To craft robots you need energy expert. level 2 for low tier robots (protectotron, brain robot) and level 3 for the higher tier robots (sentry bot, mr gutsy, turret).

Robots could be bought from the lady in NCR inner city at the top right corner. She already chills with robots, why not make and sell them? Robots can also be sold at Navarro, BoS base, and basically anywhere else that has a technology center.

High science skill would be required to program your robots and repair skill to keep them in tip top shape. Yes, robots have deterioration instead of HP and can be broken in combat. Broken robots can be repaired but suffer the same consequences as repaired weapons and armor (increased rate of deterioration). Broken robots can also have Science used on them to get some parts back.

Programming robots will allow you to link them to your faction database for more effective base guarding. It will also allow you to set their combat options, following options, that kind of thing. You could program your robots to shoot faction friends if they wield weapons and to not kill faction members if wielding weapons. You could give your robots a command to find and kill thieves. The options are extensive!

let me know what y'all think :)
Re: Robots!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:07:30 am »

i like the idea. here are some further suggestions from me:

*the robots may be have to fed with energy cells or MFCs regularly to keep them going like in the cars.
*a player must be fallowed by only one robot at a time, otherwise it would be overpowered.
*there must be a loooong cooling time in order to prevent people from filling the entire wastes with robots.
*if someone kills you and breaks your robot, he may be able to re-program it and use it as his own robot if he has the required skills (science 120% at least to re-program it and some repair skills to make it work again) but again it suffers the same consequences as repaired weapons and armor.
*player (the new owner who killed you and broke your robot) may have to re-program it and then repair it. if he succesfully repairs it before re-programming or if he succeeds in repairing the robot but fails to re-program it, it will attack him again as soon as it is repaired. so the message should be something like "You attempted to re-program the sentry bot" instead of "you succesfully re-programmed the sentry bot" or "you failed to re-program the sentry bot and broken it for good" (this may make the player think twice before deciding whether to repair a death machine or just take the energy cells and leave it there to rust.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:18:13 am by Nyarla »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:43:14 am »

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

thanks for the links Surf, I'm still reading them. I noticed you were quite adamant versus the first suggestion and closed it. I'd like to know why you/the devs aren't keen on craftable and purchasable robot mercs.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:49:52 am »

Cause the wasteland is supposed to be more like Fallout not so much Fallout 2 or the rest.

I never liked the idea of a GECK or working helicopters, cars and trains

There was simply too much tech in Fallout 2.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:06:06 pm »

I dont get it... helicopters came before plasma and laser weapons and so did cars. so should we get rid of energy weapons because they are too far advanced for us?

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »

Cause the wasteland is supposed to be more like Fallout not so much Fallout 2 or the rest.

I never liked the idea of a GECK or working helicopters, cars and trains

There was simply too much tech in Fallout 2.

this
I dont get it... helicopters came before plasma and laser weapons and so did cars. so should we get rid of energy weapons because they are too far advanced for us?

Well if you want everything from F1, then I want invisibility device from F1. Oh shi- is that advanced? God no, Id rather play F2... shi- Fallout tact...shi- F3... damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I believe F1 demo had all you ever wanted...

Its not that its too advanced, why should it be? Have you ever read the fallout bible? Guess not. If you want something technologically less advanced, play settlers its postapocaliptic world after nuke war, not medieval
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »

Well if you want everything from F1, then I want invisibility device from F1. Oh shi- is that advanced? God no, Id rather play F2... shi- Fallout tact...shi- F3... damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I believe F1 demo had all you ever wanted...

Its not that its too advanced, why should it be? Have you ever read the fallout bible? Guess not. If you want something technologically less advanced, play settlers its postapocaliptic world after nuke war, not medieval

Yea, you tell him!!! lol edited post
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:30:07 pm by borse »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 08:05:34 pm »

I bet Kraskish didn't direct that post to you, borse.
This thread will be the same like the 3 I linked above, endless discussions with the same arguments over and over again. :)

Here is the fallout bible btw. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »

Sorry borse, I was replying to Keldorn I forgot to add "and"

Well, I can say to the topic is to repeat my thoughts:

robots:yes
types: robodog, mr handy, eyebot (unarmed robots)
craftable: no
purchasable like mercs: yes
req: high INT 8-10 (1-3 total robot followers)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:07:02 pm by kraskish »
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:21 pm »

Sorry borse, I was replying to Keldorn I forgot to add "and"

Well, I can say to the topic is to repeat my thoughts:

robots:yes
types: robodog, mr handy, eyebot (unarmed robots)
craftable: no
purchasable like mercs: yes
req: high INT 8-10 (1-3 total robot followers)
Daaamnn I feel stupid. Sorry bro!

I bet Kraskish didn't direct that post to you, borse.
This thread will be the same like the 3 I linked above, endless discussions with the same arguments over and over again. :)

Here is the fallout bible btw. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible

yea seems like a lost cause now :S. Could care less really. Thanks for the Bible!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:31:25 pm by borse »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:06 pm »

Everybody except Devs want robots.  

Guess who wins?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:02:59 am »

Um  lets see

Did I mentioned I had problems with energy weapons?? Nope

Did I mention I had problems with Stealth Boys?? Nope

Did I mention I hated ideas like lost technology AKA super mutants and FEV?? Nope

Great way to read my post.  I will re-iterate because you apparently don't understand.

In F1 the only people with advanced technology were the BoS and the Master.  Thats it.  You didn't  have regular run of the mill thugs with shit like rocket launchers, plasma rifles and laser rifles or gatling lasers.  Were there working cars in Fallout?? Oh yeah, NO.

Every other faction had to make do with basic weaponry.  Thats why i liked it so much.  Kind of an hoamge to the Planet Of The Apes movie.  The one where human bunker survivors were the only one with tech.  

The whole idea of nation states didn't exist in Fallout.  In Fallout 2 all of a sudden you have the huge NCR beast capable of outfittin an entire army.  They were even able to stand toe to toe with the BoS (although with severe casualties).

I don't mind robot followers but in regards to the devs I understand.  Robots is more than just a manual.  You need knowledge about ceramics and other composite material.  You need to understand what the stress endurance of alloys.  You need knowledge about robotics and AI.  Things that takes years of research and equipment and tests.  You need the faciilities and resources that allow for those tests.

Imagine asking the devs for the ability for players to make verti-birds.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:05:09 am by Keldorn »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:59 am »

I don't mind robot followers but in regards to the devs I understand.  Robots is more than just a manual.  You need knowledge about ceramics and other composite material.  You need to understand what the stress endurance of alloys.  You need knowledge about robotics and AI.  Things that takes years of research and equipment and tests.  You need the faciilities and resources that allow for those tests.

Imagine asking the devs for the ability for players to make verti-birds.
You could steal the schematics for a vertibird in Fo2 btw... altho you couldn't MAKE one they were in your hands.

bout robots, dude, were making Advanced armor, lazor weapons and plasma etc.  It doesn't matter what you say about technological knowledge and shit because making that in the middle of the desert is aready so god damn far-fetched I almost pissed myself laughing when I first found out you could make Avengers, Plasma rifle and all other 3-tier shit at level 4 if at all.

You dont need facilities and machines and testing to make a plasma rifle or laser btw....?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 01:12:35 am »

bout robots, dude, were making Advanced armor, lazor weapons and plasma etc. 

This might change in the future. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 23 queries.