"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:33:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Train stations revealed on character creation  (Read 12276 times)

Re: Train stations revealed on character creation
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »

I think that train in the wasteland is pretty realistic cause wasteland is mostly like wild west.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 12:46:21 pm »

There is no spo.... er

There is no train!
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

I think that train in the wasteland is pretty realistic cause wasteland is mostly like wild west.

i want horses and raid the train while its drivin! Only Shotgun and .44 Magnum Revolver allowed.
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »

i want horses and raid the train while its drivin! Only Shotgun and .44 Magnum Revolver allowed.

that was suggested a lot earlier.  ;D
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 01:19:52 am »

Wow how come Train Stations are hard to find anyways? Can you believe that I have NEVER taken a train in game? They don't come often enough, and 100 caps is a pain to find sometimes JUST for a ticket.

Train stations should be "Findable" like most towns :P Starting with 4+ random train stations on your WM would be wierd, but they should be easy to find.

Everytime I see a train track in the wastes I keep hoping that a Train would randomly drive thru it and run over some of the baddies on the track (Or me)

Maybe we should have a Universal Train Pass for 1000 caps, when you die you lose it but it's good forever if you have it...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:54:33 am by corosive »
Owner of FOnline 2258! A true Fallout inspired adventure!
http://bit.ly/3syLeTp
http://www.fonline2258.com

Cultist

• The face of God with an impostor's features
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 01:22:53 am »

I don't have a problem about that. When I do the quest and finally see the stations, I feel like I have achieved something and can finally use these trains. Sorry, but in my opinion they are fine as they are.

Right, you can find hidden vaults no problem but the building near town that has tracks leading to the horizon in both directions is so stealthy.
The pervert, the pathological, the prophet
I'm the second coming, the Anti-Christ, the final conflict
Who got nuclear weapons and a suicidal doctrine?
The cult leader, and I'll never stop until I got you locked in

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 04:04:41 am »

Well, Vault 13 was only visible due to the planned roleplaying project, which failed. Else I would have made it invisible long ago.

Beside this, gameplay > realism.

Cultist

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:21 am »

I'm just bitter because my stupid char can only see boneyard train and they rip him off at the ticket vendor.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

So, herm, may I sum up ?

Revealing train stations on character creation
Pros
  • How can you know there are even train stations? "
    Players should have to use their initiative, sure, but they shouldn't have to be psychic. Or playing with a wiki printout." (Badger). Also, "You want to get trains, you go to the train station. You do the quest at the train station to get trains. But having to look at the game's wiki page to discover that the quest, or even trains exist, is poor design.", same author.
  • The way to discover them is quite pointless. "hiding train stations serves no purpose. Especially if the only way to see them is to talk to a doctor or something like that." (Izual)
  • "The point is that trains aren't halfway near as popular as they could and should be." (Badger)
  • "a bit help for newcomers could be good too. [...] As already suggested: makin trains visible but not usable before havin the quest done is a fine way" (Andr3az)
  • Train is basic and needed feature from the beginning. "Travel speed decreased, need for cars and transportation [...] beginner players will die dozen of times before theyll visit all the towns required to obtain the locations. Its not "everything" its a basic thing like in-game chat."(kraskish)
  • The train stations being not widely known among players is bad game design. "quests should be logical and reasonably discoverable within the game itself. Nor is it a case of wishing to give players something for nothing - a quest to get trains is absolutely fine. But not reading the wiki shouldn't deprive you of certain features, and that's currently the only way people can reasonably be expected to discover trains." (Badger)
  • "I mean really, you can't honestly think, that letting players find a train station by walking past it will just make the game too easy." (Kikayoaka)

Cons
  • "There's no reasons players should get everything from the very beginning without doing anything for it." (Lexx)
  • "It's still easy to discover most of the stations" (HertogJan)
  • It's not unrealistic that they are hidden, and players can use cars/radios to travel already. (Lexx)
  • "Don't like 2238, don't play 2238." (Lexx)

Ahem.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:02 am »

Yeah, mass decided. Let's make everything visible by default, because it just makes sense.
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 01:54:32 am »

MAKES MORE SENSE THAN TALKING TO A DOCTOR TO DISCOVER A TRAIN STATION, BUCKO.
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 02:30:21 am »

But they are not hidden. And I'm not mentioning the railway all around the wasteland :P

This is so true, its not like its a secret raider base or hiden toxic cave. Plus, characters with 1 charisma should be able to find train station by themselves too. The train is a great implementation, should be usable by all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:33:57 am by A concerned wastelander »

Cultist

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 02:33:12 am »

It's just strange that the location that should be the easiest to find is the one that is hidden, especially since its supposedly  high traffic and next to major cities. What's even stranger is that I agree completely with Izual in this matter.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:55 am »

Yeah, mass decided. Let's make everything visible by default, because it just makes sense.

Well, as I said:
I like hidden locations, like Sierra or Toxic Caves. I think more should be, like Mariposa or Vault 13 for example. But it's not the point of this suggestion; hiding train stations serves no purpose. Especially  if the only way to see them is to talk to a doctor or something like that.
Also, if you want the train to be more popular, its stations should be revealed. It's one of the very few places where you are forced to be with other players (waiting for the train and then on the worldmap). It is also one of the major things to do if you want less people to come in NCR.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »

Cons
  • 1 "There's no reasons players should get everything from the very beginning without doing anything for it." (Lexx)
  • 2 "It's still easy to discover most of the stations" (HertogJan)
  • 3 It's not unrealistic that they are hidden, and players can use cars/radios to travel already. (Lexx)
  • 4 "Don't like 2238, don't play 2238." (Lexx)

1. Locations could be unveiled but the possibility to travel could be unlocked through a quest (a local one in each of train station - simplier or just locally located). I mean, really, if a newbie saw "NCR train station", he would get the idea there are trains without anyone telling him.

2. Yes its easy, for you, but it isnt a suggestion for players that find it so easy to buy a car first, its for people that come to this game, play solo or just a bit venture at first and what do they see "NCR mine" "NCR military base" oh noes, no "NCR train station", as they travel throughout wasteland they meet other people that tell them to do Train quest: go to VC then all other cities, yeah so "simple" - tell it to a newb

3. As above, really? Wasteland wouldnt be harsh if no one was a newb or loner. New/loner would rather spend his first money on train because its cheaper and he has no money to buy a car and fuel to maintain it. Again, if somebody bought a car, he probably doesnt need a train after all. But of course we want everything shrouded in mystery rather than giving some clues

4. Yeah, the best argument of all. This should be inscribed below "Fonline 2238" and "Wasteland is harsh"
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 28 queries.