"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:23:13 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Random encounters  (Read 11163 times)

maszrum

• Soldiers of Thunderstorm
Re: Random encounters
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »

Solar, nothing changed with ncr army encouter and also Atom was wrong, there is cooldown for some encouters ;p

btw. lsw is still bugged :
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:33:35 pm by maszrum »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:27 pm »

At least something changed with it, both in the fix to having hunting rifles in hand and the mistake where the FN FAL guy has 7.62mm in hand.

If those things changed then the other things should have gone in too. There should be about 2x 15-30% chance of an M60 and 1x 15-30% chance of an LSW. Will have to check it out.

Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:19 pm »

The fact is that I'm pissed off by the respawn location. Now imagine this - You are walking in the desert, no mountains, no sandstorms, nothing, just desert. You keep going, you go, you go, you go, you go, and suddenly after realizing that you have walked 1 kilometer you see 6 radiated men with hunting rifles and smelling badly just 2 meters away from you. HOW THE FUCK DID YOU ENCOUNTER THEM?!?

Makes me think, Why not make some encounters easier to avoid? and some harder to avoid? for example avoiding encounters in the mountains should be harder than on the desert (if that isn't already the case) But also it should be easy to avoid a group of crazies, but be much harder to evade for example a pack of radscorpions or raiders (assuming they are smart enough to ambush you)

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »

This would be reflected in the chance to discover an Encounter.

Each square has a list of Encounters, then each one has a chance. So if you're looking round a square with:

Encounter 1 - 5%
Encounter 2 - 5%
Encounter 3 - 50%

Then each "test" for if you get an Encounter theres a 60% chance you will get one in total, 50% chance of Encounter 3 and 5% chance it'll be #1 or #2.

Then zone difficulty plays its part in if you can skip them, harder zones are harder to skip.

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 02:40:16 pm »

Solar, nothing changed with ncr army encouter and also Atom was wrong, there is cooldown for some encouters ;p

Cooldown for encounters is not used anymore.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 04:15:32 pm »

Each square has a list of Encounters, then each one has a chance. So if you're looking round a square with:

Encounter 1 - 5%
Encounter 2 - 5%
Encounter 3 - 50%

Then each "test" for if you get an Encounter theres a 60% chance you will get one in total, 50% chance of Encounter 3 and 5% chance it'll be #1 or #2.

Then zone difficulty plays its part in if you can skip them, harder zones are harder to skip.
Ok, so its not entirely dependent on "The Square" Itself the encounters in it seperately have their own difficulty?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2010, 06:00:43 pm »

The square has difficulty, the Encounters have a seperate chance of "triggering"

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

Is outdoorsman skill linear with the chance to avoid an encounter?

By this I mean, is there a huge gap between 99% Outdoorsman and 100% Outdoorsman (which is what you said is needed to have a good chance to skip "easy" encounters), or would 99% and 100% be almost exactly the same?

You also said 100% outdoorsman to avoid easy encounters, and 180% to avoid the hardest encounters; what level would I need to get the highest chance to avoid any mid-level encounter, if such a thing exists. Or is there just a big gap between 100% outdoorsman and 180% outdoorsman, as well?

And lastly, would Ghoul Crazies be easy, mid-level, or hard encounter types? What outdoorsman would I need to be able to be able to best avoid those? Thanks. Edit: Okay I posted this after you posted your above topic, so I didn't get that part.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:25:38 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2010, 06:09:45 pm »

And lastly, would Ghoul Crazies be easy, mid-level, or hard encounter types? What outdoorsman would I need to be able to be able to best avoid those? Thanks.

Depends on what square they are - its the squares which decide how difficult it is to skip.

Is outdoorsman skill linear with the chance to avoid an encounter?

By this I mean, is there a huge gap between 99% Outdoorsman and 100% Outdoorsman (which is what you said is needed to have a good chance to skip "easy" encounters), or would 99% and 100% be almost exactly the same?

You also said 100% outdoorsman to avoid easy encounters, and 180% to avoid the hardest encounters; what level would I need to get the highest chance to avoid any mid-level encounter, if such a thing exists. Or is there just a big gap between 100% outdoorsman and 180% outdoorsman, as well?

Its pretty linear, so somewhere between 100 -> 180% (These are rough figures, don't treat them as gospel) will lie your mid level difficulty value.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 04:01:08 pm »

Encounter 1 - 5%
Encounter 2 - 5%
Encounter 3 - 50%

How it work when you can meet a player? What are the chances to meet him and what decide of difficulty to avoid it?
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2010, 01:18:19 pm »

Its exactly the same, you test for an encounter - but then if theres another encounter already taking place near by you have a chance of going into that one instead.

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 04:04:27 pm »

I think with the more Wastelanders in the Encounter, it should decrease the ease of finding it.

1. There is probably combat going on, taking place already as the secondary(or tertiary, etc.) Wastelander walks upon it.  
2.  The groups the Wastelander sees is sometimes 2, 3, 5+ Wastelanders camping in it right now.  Be nice if..

+1 player = -5 % to see,
+2 = -10%
+3 = -20%
.... etc (with a cumulative drop in difficult as more join)

The reason for this is players mob into TB encounters near cities and wait... and really, it should be EASIER to see a mob of people out there.  So instead of using the players playing any difficulty in being found, it is based entirely on the base encounter (how it is atm).  All pks have to do is drive in their taxi, find the biggest/hardest encounter then camp it.  Which I Have seen done. Several times.  They are like the new TB Caravan traps outside NCR.

Edit: It should be raised according to Additional numbers of Bodies, as I forgot to account for Mercs/Slaves.  Which I have also seen done.  A lvl 21 will automatically lose if he falls into a fight with 3 players +10 merc/slaves.  The swarm, with the NPCs lol-crits, generally will prevent any sort of escape.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:06:35 pm by Gatling »
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »

Edit: It should be raised according to Additional numbers of Bodies, as I forgot to account for Mercs/Slaves.  Which I have also seen done.  A lvl 21 will automatically lose if he falls into a fight with 3 players +10 merc/slaves.  The swarm, with the NPCs lol-crits, generally will prevent any sort of escape.
You've been spying on me!!!!!!  :P
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »

so by this logic, a solo player camping an encounter will have a much higher chance of finding targets?

i totally agree with that. reward the risk, punish the carebears. (not real carebears, we love you.. im talking about the punks who hang out in groups of 6-10 near NCR and hub, ganking noobs, and then they have the gall to call themselves pvpers)

i must say with more than a few hundred hours of solo pvp experience since all the wipes, it is most certainly "not worth it" outside of extreme luck situations to go pvping solo. the chance for death is simply too high - and most players are concerned about 'staying in the black', rather than simply having fun for the sake of it, and thusly they congregate towards larger groups where the risk is lower but the reward is still the same.

i really think it would be a great idea to make it so anything over 3 players has a very low chance of being discovered. and vice versa, in a large group, you should have a much larger chance to encounter other large groups instead of solo and small group players.
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 11:36:38 pm »

Much higher chance of running into players, combined with only running into similar size groups. Loners will only run into loners, level 5s will run into people +/- 2 levels of themselves. Once two groups have ran into each other, nobody else can join.

That's the only way I can see running into other players in the wasteland being an interesting experience.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.