"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:25:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Random encounters  (Read 11166 times)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Random encounters
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:00 pm »

As said here, devs want feedbacks about encounters. So I suggest we use this topic for everything we have to say about them.

So, my first thought:
NCR army, that you encounter below NCR Military Camp, has some problems.
  • They often encounter Remnants of Master's army, which means there are huge explosions, player just has to spectate and to loot.
  • The soldiers are actually named "Weak Gun Guard" and so on.
  • The background of it is a bit of a problem, to me NCR Army encounters look like nerfed patrols. They have low or middle-tier stuff, while patrols (and caravans) have CAs and great guns; so is there some kind of weird hierarchy that means that you are first in NCR Army (with poor gear), then in patrols, where you have great stuff? In my opinion, NCR Army could be made very different from NCR patrols by increasing their number, for example. Like, 20 guys at least. This way, they could keep this poor gear, or if they had better gear they would really look like the part of an army.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
Re: Random encounters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:10:46 pm »

Agreed on the NCR army, as much as i like free loot, i just had to sit there for a few minutes in TB as they destroyed eachother, i also think there should be alot of them and have a mixed amount of Low to High Tier, for like grunts to officers as an example.
<[DoW]Dragon> TTTLA -> Fags that just shoot everyone and say 'SOZ THOUGHT U WAS PK' and keep your loot.
<Tissi> i was walking around with a fucking sledge and bluesuit and they shout " u a pk" and shoot

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:21:26 pm »

This makes no sense... where do you think NCR patrols are coming from?  I don't see no cop-uniforms, so first thing I think of is their Military... which... is NCR army...

I hope I am not the only one going lolwhut over this. :P

#2- Mutants everywhere! Almost...
But so far, if they are all over outside Adytum... wouldn't Adytum just be entirely overrun and wiped off the map?  A bunch of wandering mutants with lasers and rockets, with pet critters, Vs a ragtag town with not even that great of a police force. Hum~

Hmm, 3#... Know what?  This kind of goes for all the random centaur/floaters everywhere.  While them being spread out is ok, I wanna know why it seems like they breed like rabbits.  A chance to find them? Sure, but that chance better be damn small in some areas.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

I`ve noticed that some muties from Remnants of MA have flamethrower fuel in their hands. When they see enemy nearby, they switch to unarmed. 
They just keep fuel for some BG player to kill&loot them?   ::)
Green muties with 160 hp or so. Boneyard region.

avv

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

I have to say that encounters don't have good enough purpose in our game.

What comes to purpose encounters seem to exist to make player's life harder. What is it for the encounters to kill anyone? The stuff disappears and the npcs who killed the player cease from existing. What is it for players to encounter some enemies randomly who can mostly be just outrunned? Sometimes you even die randomly and nobody benefits from that. My first death happened 30mins from character creation: I spawned next to yakuza flamer who killed me. Totally useless death in terms of gameplay causality.

Surely encounters give loot and exp but if you don't want neither encounters are just nuisance. If you can run from mantis, why can't you just avoid them without  entering the map?
When it comes to excessive farming of certain encounters they are cornucopias of free equipment. Farming is nothing special in typical mmo games but I think our game should aim higher. There's no farming in wasteland, everything useful is scarce because everyone wants it. Hunting caravans and patrols should bear dire consequences in addition to -rep. Raiding patrols and caravans could be one feature in incoming npc faction gameplay. Players could choose to defend or raid the npc factions. Raiding could be also related to bounty hunting, because if you have killed many patrolmen, you're wanted man.

I'd scrap most encounters and implement hunting grounds. The whole worldmap would be divided into sectors and each sector would have its own hunting ground in additon to normal but meaningful encounters. The hunting grounds would be vast areas with gatherable items, monsters, surprises and other players. If you die in hunting ground, you could try to get your stuff back or you might find someone else's stuff. Also every monster should provide players with something. Mantis, molerats, rats and radscorpions could give some sort of crafting materials for drugs.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »

I also don't think players would complain as much if the walk speed was a little faster.

Other than that, around what I'd call the 'newb' area - between junktown, hub and ncr -  I've noticed a lot of ghoul crazies and even centaurs wandering around...  pretty hard I think considering the area

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »

As said here, devs want feedbacks about encounters. So I suggest we use this topic for everything we have to say about them.

So, my first thought:
NCR army, that you encounter below NCR Military Camp, has some problems.
  • They often encounter Remnants of Master's army, which means there are huge explosions, player just has to spectate and to loot.
  • The soldiers are actually named "Weak Gun Guard" and so on.
  • The background of it is a bit of a problem, to me NCR Army encounters look like nerfed patrols. They have low or middle-tier stuff, while patrols (and caravans) have CAs and great guns; so is there some kind of weird hierarchy that means that you are first in NCR Army (with poor gear), then in patrols, where you have great stuff? In my opinion, NCR Army could be made very different from NCR patrols by increasing their number, for example. Like, 20 guys at least. This way, they could keep this poor gear, or if they had better gear they would really look like the part of an army.

NCR Patrol? Or Rangers? Rangers and NCR Army are seperate things.

Masters army aren't stopping loot?

The Army encounter needs top be increased, it was just impossible to guess at a decent level for them to be set at, so I'll increse them based upon feedback. Willl also increase things such as Rangers, VC Patrol, Masters Army, Enclave Patrol, BoS patrol - so that they are actually a reasonable challenge, but also the only source of the higher tier stuff (which will disappear from the other encounter types.

As for where Masters stuff occurs, it comes from the Masters vault - I tried to have a logical spread of things - certain raider groups occur centred on an imagined raiders base for example. These groups are currently identical, but will change over time.

Cents did get a little too close to the Hub though and should (hopefully!) be further away after an update.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »

NCR Patrol? Or Rangers? Rangers and NCR Army are seperate things.
NCR Patrol. Rangers are quite the same, it's true, but they have a solid background and a different purpose (and some special armor). I don't think we could say NCR Patrols and Rangers are the same things. However, when you look at the actual "NCR Army" encounter and then at NCR Patrols (not mentioning NCR Caravans), then one could thing - hey, I want to join the patrols, not the army! Which is strange, since the army should be better (more men at once, better gear) than the patrols (and patrols should be more frequent than the NCR Army).

I highlighted two problems with NCR Army :
  • They're not enough at once, and with ridiculous gear (Also, according to Fallout Bible this army had divisions, which makes the huge differences in gears from one soldier to another quite strange) ;
  • They are too different from the NCR patrolmen standards (High tech gear). BUT! If you give them the same gear as Patrols and Caravans guards, then you should make them different in another way, either by increasing their number or by making something fancy with them to make them look like an army (lines of soldiers, different gears according to the location of soldiers (All the RL in one side, all the laser rifle first, etc, f.e.), howitzer, etc, etc).

From what I've seen, they keep looting everything. The problem is also that they make the corpses explode, which makes it easier for the players to loot.

The Army encounter needs top be increased, it was just impossible to guess at a decent level for them to be set at, so I'll increse them based upon feedback. Willl also increase things such as Rangers, VC Patrol, Masters Army, Enclave Patrol, BoS patrol - so that they are actually a reasonable challenge, but also the only source of the higher tier stuff (which will disappear from the other encounter types.[/quote]
If by increase you mean the frequency..? Then I think you already encounter the Army ways too often, especially when they fight mutants.

As for where Masters stuff occurs, it comes from the Masters vault - I tried to have a logical spread of things - certain raider groups occur centred on an imagined raiders base for example. These groups are currently identical, but will change over time.
A yay for that!

Cents did get a little too close to the Hub though and should (hopefully!) be further away after an update.
The best would be to have large packs in the desert, and packs with less and less centaurs are you go further from Gordon's Gas Station.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »

I see an NCR Rangers group, but no patrol. If there is a Patrol they'll should disappear, like Caravan encounters will eventually.

I have no problem increasing the Army encounter size, Gear can vary, Hunting rifle will largely be the standard issue.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:46 pm »

I see an NCR Rangers group, but no patrol. If there is a Patrol they'll should disappear, like Caravan encounters will eventually.
Guys on IRC said there wasn't, I must be mistaking them with VC patrols - my bad.

I have no problem increasing the Army encounter size, Gear can vary, Hunting rifle will largely be the standard issue.
I'm eager to see this in-game, then! :)
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »

Perhaps you think of the Hub Patrol?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »

Perhaps you think of the Hub Patrol?
Hub patrol is fun when they with centaurs.
Just wait or run around from centaurs while other centaurs kill whole patrol, then run to corner of map luring centaurs and then loot bodies of dead cops. So I don't think Hub Patrol should ever meet centaurs, or Hub patrol should always win them.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:13:26 pm »

give hub patrol assault rifles, with 5mm JHP, and set their AI to "kamikaze burst" like SMG sulik in fo2. they will never lose to floaters again rofl! new assault rifle burst is best ingame for SG(as it SHOULD BE!!)

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »

Try a p90c, CAWs or Jackhammer :)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:35 am »

I dont know if it is just me, but i have been encountering almost zero brahmin around the "noob" area (NCR, Junktown, Hub) and this absolutly sucks for new players, as we cant even make tents. was it intentional, or am i just unlucky?
You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that i was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.