"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:26:11 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Crafting, solution for digging and gathering alts and new PvP posibilities  (Read 5634 times)

NTR

Hi, I would like to introduce my crafting ideas to you.

First of all, its a lot of changes, but almost all mechanics I used are already done.
Please read the whole post before answering.

So:

Crafting and gathering timeouts are unnecessary. We can't just forbid people to
dig, craft or whatever more than few times at once. It generates alts made for digging,
alts made for crafting, and end with 35000 chars registered on server. 
PvP now is only about town control. Lets add some more possibilities.

My ideas are:

1. Removing crafting and gathering timeouts

2. Removing the easy possibility of crafting 3rd lvl equipment.

3. Adding additional requirments for crafting 2nd lvl equimpent

- same as it is with crafting 7,62mm ammo, or buffout now. 

4. For crafting 3rd lvl equipment, there would be something like factories,
located in many locations in the desert. Some would be controlled by main NPC factions,
some would be free. Many locations are already done.

5. In those factories, you could buy the stuff they are making, and use the tools required
for crafting 2nd lvl equipment for a small fee (or not, it depends).
Some factories would be guarded, some not, it could
change - look next point.

6. There would be a possibility of taking control over the factory, by killing all the guards,
and talking to main npc, like it's with TC now. Taking over would be possible once in 5 normal
days, for 4 hours like 20-24. If attacking faction manages to take control - possibility
of taking it by another faction is blocked for 5 days. Its all to let normal players enter
the factory without 80% possibility of being killed, like it is in north towns now,
and to let factions really take control over something, preventing band of bluesuits going from
town to town at 3AM and taking control over whole wasteland.

7. Why factions would fight for that factories? Here it starts:
- there would be 4 kinds of factories - for guns, armors, ammo and explosives, and drugs,
  and you could choose what exactly they have to craft.
- factories would be producing some amount of 3rd lvl equipment daily,
for example 2 Avengers per hour.
- all equipment and cash would go to controlling faction
- factions could choose if they keep the equipment for themselves, or they send it to NPC
in factory which would be selling it to normal players. This should be balanced
to the level when factions dont need all the equipment they produce, otherwise players
couldn't buy anything from NPC's there.

BUT:

- faction would have to provide huge amounts of basic sources for the factory,
  and it should be a really big numbers, so using caravans would be only option.
- they would have to pay to all npcs working in the factory (once, after they take control)
- they would have to pay for guards, otherwise npcs would run away in fear of PK's :P
- guards should be really strong, like safe town guards, and not too expensive.

8. To prevent gangs from making 40 people alliances and overswarming everything,
maps of factories should be of different sizes - small/medium/big
and balanced in a way that doesnt give advantage to more numberous factions.
It could be done by making maps where only strict number of attackers could hide
behind walls etc. others would be just slashed down because there wouldn't be a place left
to hide from fire. It's the point which needs most work and balancing, and currently I dont have
any simple idea how to solve it.
Another thing is that people may prefer to keep all equipment for them instead of sharing it
with another 4 gangs, so they wouldn't make alliances. It also needs testing on closed server.

9. Now about big NPC factions controlling the factories.
There would also be a possibility to take control over them by players faction,
but they should be ready for NPC's counter attack. Even real players could do that,
it's a nice thing to do for Izual's NCR army, which is quite dead for now, cause they dont have anything to do.
Counter attack could happen anytime, without this 5 days counter, but controlling
would get the info for example half an hour before attack.
Some radio message like "...3 humvees heading towards NCR factory..."
Chances of NPC faction winning should be balanced to something like 70:30 for them. 

10. That point is for born crafters who don't want to fight, and still want to make best equipment:

There would be a possibility of making a small manufacture, which would be similiar to a base,
or could even be a base extension.
Manufactures would produce equipment few times slower that factories,
and to prevent players from making hundreds of these
it would be necessary to make a lot of time consuming quests (searching for
tools, machines, npc's which would work there, location) and a lot of money,
for example 500k spend on location, machines, tools and npcs.
It's all about balancing controlled factories, and manufactures,
so players interested in PvP would prefer to fight for factories, instead of making manufactures.

Summary:

We put almost all control over crafting of high tech equipment in hands of gangs.

But!:

Pros:
- Digging alts are removed from game
- I think same will happen with PvPers having 4-5 crafting alts - crafting would not be so
necessary for them
- Caravans are finally useful for something
- You can still craft every high tech equipment, but it would need much time to start doing it
- There will be much more player-player barter
- New possibilities of PvP, but without making these locations used only by PvPers
- We encourage players to interact with others, now it is not needed
when one player can craft everything (you need few hours to make crafting alts for everything)

Cons:
-A lot of work, but mechanics are already in game, its all about making some new maps, adding npcs, quests, dialagoues and scripting
- are there any more?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:21:12 am by NTR »

I didn't bother reading past your explanation of why timers are unnecessary.  You DO know that to log onto a different account, you have to wait ten minutes, correct?  To go onto another account takes ten minutes, then to return to your old one takes another ten.  That's twenty minutes in total... But wait a minute...  That's the maximum for the gather timer!
You see Sha Enin, the traveling folk singer.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...

I didn't bother reading past your explanation of why timers are unnecessary.  You DO know that to log onto a different account, you have to wait ten minutes, correct?  To go onto another account takes ten minutes, then to return to your old one takes another ten.  That's twenty minutes in total... But wait a minute...  That's the maximum for the gather timer!
3 minutes.  idk what is up with the 10 minute thing....
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Yeah it encourages alts really.
Character A gets 20 min CD
logs to character B in 10 minutes.
Character B gets his 20 min CD and logs back to character A
Character A now has no more CD. and can get 20 min CD again

Process repeats.

NTR

It's rather like you make 5 alts for digging with 1st lvl, which you are not afraid to loose because of ban, and you use fast relog.
We have 35000 chars on the server with 1000 people playing. That's mainly because of cooldowns.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube

It's rather like you make 5 alts for digging with 1st lvl, which you are not afraid to loose because of ban, and you use fast relog.

Har har, worse idea ever.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Solar

• Rotator

I've been thinking about these factory type things to create PvP places and limit how much high end stuff gets on the game. Not taking control, just open places like the mines, perhaps with a limit on them per hour. With an alternate system to earn use of factions facilities for the non PvPers to use.

Don't think it should be a reason to remove timeouts, these are already generous enough. If people are cheating around the limits then they just need to be banned, like plenty of other people have been already.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors

Dylan, I raccomand you to first: get knowledge of game mechanics before you complain second: read before you say its shit

it is exactly 3 minutes, which (with using 5 chars) removes cooldown from game, without breaking any rules!
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

gordulan

• General Animosity

yep, i can confirm this.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

VongJin

• Rogues

cheers! lets remove Gathering and crafting cooldowns!!! Lets step into scripts and autoclickers era!

Now is possible for a loner miner or a small gang crafting high tier equipement, with factory I fear that powerful gang will have the good equipement, and loner and small gang become more weak... I don't see the need for this change.
One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller

Now is possible for a loner miner or a small gang crafting high tier equipement, with factory I fear that powerful gang will have the good equipement, and loner and small gang become more weak... I don't see the need for this change.

Well seem logical only biggest and better organized group have better stuff, but it would be better if factory allow to create uber high tier equipement (gauss/pulse/vindic/bozar/G11/PA) very very slowly and with big fight around, like that small factions would still have high enough equipement and big factions a new reason to PvP.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll

You didn't read carefully I'm afraid - as a loner/small faction you could also make hi-tech equipment by buying yourself a small factory, if you don't want to buying items from factories or players. And as long as I'm not interested in PvP, this seems like a perfect solution for people like me - patient "settlers-kind" players, who can wait with low-tech toys, save enough caps and here you go. What I miss in bunker base now is a medical or ammo terminal. I mean you pay 500k caps for shitload of lockers, your own basic resources mine, e-parts and this is amazing, but still there could be some other advantage for 500k.
Also a loner or small faction doesn't need as many equipment as larger ones, unless you are greedy :>
Nie biegaj za stadem.

gordulan

• General Animosity

hey, dontcha start insulting greed, it's what makes the world go round.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Too Long, Didn't Read.  Don't mean to be flippant, but that's quite a healthy block of text there about a subject that's been talked, quite literally, to death AND BACK.

But there doesn't need to be any real solution to people having alts.  There just needs to be more options for non-PvP play (quests, single-player, cooperative, roleplay, etc etc).  Then incessant crafting and PvP gameplay won't be so... incessant.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:59:41 pm by Jeoshua »
Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 27 queries.