"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:31:54 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: wipe server periodically  (Read 5420 times)

JovankaB

wipe server periodically
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:26:40 am »

Very often I hear that the first month after wipe is the most interesting one.

So this idea is very simple: don't wait with wipe for "BIG UPDATE" that comes once per year. Make the server wipe itself automatically every 36 days.

I think it would greately reduce hoarding and alting.
Perhaps it would make people care more about essence of gameplay not senseless grinding.

DocAN.

• Testing FO: Reloaded
Re: wipe server periodically
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:54 am »

why 36 days not 31 or 47?
FOnline: Reloaded - Post apocalyptic mmorpg

JovankaB

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:50:56 am »

Actually I was thinking about 36.5 days :)
It's 2 years of game time, so in this case on December 31 2239 23:59 server would be wiped.
It's only a proposition, I just think something between 1-2 real months would be the best.

avv

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:51 am »

Hard to say if it'd be good or not. Personally I wouldn't like it because hoarding creates a safe feeling of being able to do what you want. If you don't have enough stuff, you might just stay invisible in your tent scared of losing the hard-earned items.

Hoards equal fun because they make it possible to have fun. Or defend yourself from people who are trying to stop you from having fun.

Games that have periodic wipe are such that players reach the goal of the game. So one individual or group actually wins the game and then it resets.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:24 am »

3-6 months as some people dont play every day and dont want to have all their stuff/tents/bases/char gone after 1-2 months.

Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:58:57 am »

I think that 36 days might be too short, I know people that need 3 months to level up their character. But I agree that less randomness in eras' length might make the game a bit more interesting (and yeah, this era is awfully long).

If the eras were short enough we might even not experience the economical colapse (caused by interest rate) we experienced in most era's.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:04:27 am »

I don't see a single reason to wipe the server without having an update approaching during beta status.

JovankaB

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:10:48 am »

Then show us development roadmap with "2238 Final Version" at the end of the long "TO DO" list. Surely such thing exists?
Because very often beta status is just some magic words that people use as an excuse.

The reality is people play this game for fun not because it's "beta".

Also, if you think wipes should actually occur regularly once it's not beta, why aren't we testing it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:21:40 am by JovankaB »
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:19:01 am »

if you will wipe a server so often you will kill 2238.

MANY of players do not have a time to play 5-6 hours per day.

Others start to play and do not have a gang.

It is  a waste of time for them to play if they know thatt hey will loose everything so soon.

i think we will loose about 50% of players. But it will increase becose others will also leave - not becouse of 2 mentioned reasons but becouse of low number of active players.

So the whole idea is wrong.  If you want to have server wiped withount any update you can go and give all your stuff to newbies and delete all your chars - you will have same effect :P

JovankaB

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:35:20 am »

if you will wipe a server so often you will kill 2238.

MANY of players do not have a time to play 5-6 hours per day.

Others start to play and do not have a gang.

It is  a waste of time for them to play if they know thatt hey will loose everything so soon.

i think we will loose about 50% of players. But it will increase becose others will also leave - not becouse of 2 mentioned reasons but becouse of low number of active players.

What we would lose would be compulsive hoarders who can't play without having armor carpets that make them feel safe and people who can't play without 8 alts.
Hardly a loss if you ask me.

I don't know if 36 is too little or not. Maybe it should be 50 days. Or no wipes at all. I think it's worth experimenting, because many people are obviously tired by long seasons.

If you want to have server wiped withount any update you can go and give all your stuff to newbies and delete all your chars - you will have same effect :P

Eh? No, it's not the same effect ::) get some logic classes dude
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:43:08 am by JovankaB »

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:52 am »

I don't see a single reason to wipe the server without having an update approaching during beta status.

the game is more interesting, also some low tier stuff can be checked in battles not only ba/sniper rifles :)
I would agree with jovankas idea that server needs wipe, just i think that time should be a little longer, something like 3 months.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:36 am »

i think that time should be a little longer, something like 3 months.
This, +1.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »

3 months in the least.

I mean, the past wipes have been a little more constant than the awaiting future one. But really, this game should reach a point where it becomes stable so that wipe would be pointless. But with current features that just make hoarding items very easy, people will always be at an advantage as time goes on.

But for the last wipe, which was March - August, that's a little over 5 months. And this session has been over 9 months, which is too long with current features. So... 4 to 5 months sounds like a good option, maybe a little longer, if this ever happens.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »

Something very interesting already suggested: wipe every 4 months, with more and more high tier stuff being available as the session progress (CA coming only after the first month, at the beginning only available through special events, then quest, and then crafting etc... PA coming only for last 20 days for example). With a good background, and some big war between NPCs faction, ending in a big battle and nukes all over waste.

That would be great.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:00 pm »

the game is more interesting, also some low tier stuff can be checked in battles not only ba/sniper rifles :)
I would agree with jovankas idea that server needs wipe, just i think that time should be a little longer, something like 3 months.

Aha! Interesting in what terms? As long as there is no crucial update incoming needing the economy/playerbase to be wiped, what reason there is?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 26 queries.