"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 08, 2024, 03:38:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Bring back old colourizing  (Read 21696 times)

Re: Bring back old colourizing
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

But I bet I killed some of them with my EW|BG|Sniper char.

Because 1)don't remember all chars I ever met

Funny when you're saying something about people killed by you because you didn't have them tagged, then something about people who "will attack anyway" :)
So basically you need an automated list to help you not PK those met by you before :D still something about PK? Keep talking.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »

Avv's words:
Can't you just play with the same name? You all have your own nicks here at forums, that's how we recognize who's who.

I actually do that, but:
1) you can't force players to use the same (that is, a similar) name.
2) if you think about roleplay, it does not make much sense. Let's say my characters are all called Jack (Gunner Jack, Armor Jack , Sniper Jack, Burster Jack, Doctor Jack, Sneak Jack, Rocket Jack...). I'm not saying doing that would be wrong, but it just makes no sense when it comes to RP, because Jack would be some sort of post apocalyptic demigod... he would be something as ridiculously powerful as the Trascendent One from Torment:

...unlike the Nameless One, the Transcendent One remembers the past lives that both shared - and retains all of the powers and skills gleaned from them.

3) it is very easy to "steal" another player's name that way. Of course "Jack" could add a list of his characters in his forum signature, but if you are roaming the Wastes and find "Death Jack", you won't have time to check Jack's signature before the impostor kills from you, steals from you, whatever.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

NameColorizing is basically a FOnline equivalent of an IFF system. It degrades every participant of a given battle to a colour tag making identification effortless and vastly simplifying interaction. I mean the reason for having that is always to spot and engage the enemy faster and with less hesitation. In an RPG game, even online, I figure you'd want to perceive other characters as individuals rather than mostly abstract representations of enemy/friendly soldiers - NC doesn't bring you closer to that. Furthermore, I find it ironic that the people generally speaking against turning 2238 into a run'n'gun server support expanding NC again. It serves no purpose other than having the potential of reducing every contact with another player to a binary "press the trigger/don't press the trigger" dilemma - and you can't even make a mistake if your list is up to date. It allows for bringing massive armies of people who don't really know each other to the field, which makes combat even less personnal than it already is with all the alting. To sum up, it aggravates every problem we have with player on player interaction - in my opinion there's no reason to even consider bringing it back.
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 05:56:26 pm »

Your logic is failed, mister, because with Namecolorizing you can distinguish people who don't have to wear something different/have different hairstyle. Same like you would threw a red jacket at someone from *.txt list and somehow, that red jacket would be magically placed on him/her. You don't decide what clothes/hairstyle someone has put on - he decides. So, you just download a list and people "start wearing" some special clothes? :)

Kilgore, your obvious bad faith is discouraging.

Of course, you DO know that currently there ARE  are only two colors: GREEN and RED.
Which means only 2 binary things: kill/ do not kill => maybe your way to play? I kill or I do not kill? => than ok, it fits perfectly to you.
But for those who like more complexity it's not satisfying (when I see a group and I know from which faction they are, i really like to go to them and  discuss with them. Knowing their identity, I can have discussions about their diplomacy, ask them about their relationships with NPC factions, well it for sure enriches those who like to discuss RP things)

Of course you DO know that we can't count on current customization to enhance our identity and declare our gang membership without telling to everyone "hello, I am from XY gang and you?"

Of course you DO know that general reasons against NC are irrelevant because WE HAVE JUST TESTED the game WITHOUT for months and we have the same bad effects.

Yet! 3D will bring more character customization.

Ok but till then, can't we have it back?
I agree color custumization is poor but that's all we have atm in a clones world.
TTTLA for a New World Order

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:39 pm »

Of course, you DO know that currently there ARE  are only two colors: GREEN and RED.
Which means only 2 binary things: kill/ do not kill => maybe your way to play? I kill or I do not kill? => than ok, it fits perfectly to you.
But for those who like more complexity it's not satisfying (when I see a group and I know from which faction they are, i really like to go to them and  discuss with them. Knowing their identity, I can have discussions about their diplomacy, ask them about their relationships with NPC factions, well it for sure enriches those who like to discuss RP things)

That'd be a perfect argument for getting rid of this feature altogether. With two colours it's "kill" and "don't kill". With more colours you get free feedback that enables you to easily command massive groups of people. Both things are pretty bad. And as far as diplomacy is concerned - do you really discuss important stuff with people you don't know, but have them on your NC list? I mean come on, how lazy did we get and where did the "it's good to know all the important names" attitude go?
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 06:24:54 pm »

So maybe the solution would be to choose to have or not a color on one's name?

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=15247.0
TTTLA for a New World Order

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »

I've said on various occasions that I (personally, as it's my choice) don't use   1) KILL  2) DON'T KILL, HE'S OURS   policy. It was effective in BBS times, first 5-6 months after opening the beta. It gets boring quickly, especially when guarding the town. Also, even trading demands more interaction, not to mention some events or just standing somewhere and chatting with random people.

Of course you DO know better how I play the game, than me. Right?

Namecolorizing doesn't have anything with roleplay. People are distinguished by nicknames and their reputation, not colours. When I see a player that I have no idea what faction is he from, I can ask him about it. Of course, he can lie, but also, he can get caught lying =) Namecolorizing again does the job for you.

Every now and again some people say some ridiculous things about "PK consequences". Then let me make things clear for you: "PK" don't care about consequences, if they just shoot everyone on sight. It doesn't matter if you have him green, red, blue or yellow, you'll still have to fight with him. And if you happen to guard a town, he might just as well come with some blunub 1 lvl char and you can never know about it. So again, what consequences?
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2011, 06:35:37 pm »

Just add few more colors  like blue , yellow and maybe brown.

Would be okay.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 01:11:24 am »

I understand arguments from both sides but my concern is this;

If I were to kill an NPC faction member, all other NPC's of that faction will know I have done this and will shoot me on sight.

Such a repercussion makes me consider my action and its effect on my Karma.

However the same rule does not apply if I choose to kill a member of a PC faction;
it has no effect on my Karma rating and it will probably take the faction a long time to register me as a faction enemy which even then will only apply to some members of that faction, therefore I can opt to kill a PC faction member with far less consideration.

Clearly there is a double standard here.

Killing NPC? BAD KARMA!
Killing PC? eh... eventually the rest of his faction will catch on I suppose but the wasteland really doesn't give a shit and whats one more PC lying face down in the clay?

now don't get me wrong. The wasteland is all about meaningless deaths, but if we are going to handicap PC factions then why not handicap the NPC factions too? and if you going to say that removing Karma from NPC factions would make farming way to easy, well I could argue the same point for PC factions.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 02:57:20 am »

Maybe I don't understand, but what does a Karma system have to do with name colorizing?
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 03:09:54 am »

Maybe I don't understand, but what does a Karma system have to do with name colorizing?

It's the only way the players have to be able to remember someone who acted bad and shoot him back. NPCs have reputation, players have NC.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 03:18:20 am »

NPC store it in their memory, being a virtual one that is. Players don't have brains to store informations in?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 03:20:56 am »

NPC store it in their memory, being a virtual one that is. Players don't have brains to store informations in?
try storing half the population of the game (100 right now) and all their alt's names in your brains.

half the population because that's my predicted PK percentage.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Rascal

• FOnline2!
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:35 am »

zomg thats discussion is pointless, namecolorosing is good, wanted and very handy for all players who play TC, call them PK  whatever u want.
role playing players / casuals/ loners wont gonna use it couse they dont need it, want it.

So just stop that jiber jaber and bring it back. I have rather fresh experiance with working  namecolorising (requiem server current session) and its working just great in PvP.
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 12:51:12 pm »

I am sorry for not reading every posts.  No time today.

Just two prosals :
- Allow Name Colorizing, only during TC timer, and 15 minutes after timer is gone. So big gang would recognize each other. (like flags or uniform for any kind of military organizations)

- In other situations, player would keep manually give color to each other, but with, at least 10 different color. This green and red system allow only very poor relationship with player, with no system of level of trust.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:24:06 pm by naossano »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 22 queries.