"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:23:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Food and water  (Read 13746 times)

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
Re: Food and water
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »

Nice Boat I don't understand why you are systematicaly against changes. This is a beta-test game so we have to "test" features to know if they are good or not. If the devs would have listened you since the beginning FOnline 2238 would still be TLA...

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »

? I could write the friggin' scrip in 5 minutes. If it wasn't done yet, you're probably spouting bullshit, especially since this is much of a recurring issue.

Ahahah, go on, Mastercoder! You have 5 minutes from now, let's see how easy it is to write the script. :)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »

But I don't care because I'll have plenty of it. The problem is people who bawww all the time won't get enough, and you seem to be the bear that cares. This thread is just full of schizophrenia.

So let's discuss about balance of that, maybe. Starting point : Big factions have lots, newbies haven't. At least, it's easy to balance. Any bluesuit can (and does) gather fruits easily. Unlike some posts I read seem to say, the main point of food & water isn't to make big gangs less powerful and newbies more powerful. In fact, I don't see how this suggestion would enlarge the gap between rich people and poor people in this game.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

avv

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:39 pm »

This would actually be horribad for weak gangs and the few semi-experienced loners out there, especially if such hi-tier food would be available in unguarded locations

Well it wouldn't really be horribad unless refined food indeed was only available from unguarded places. And even then it wasn't the idea's fault but current settings' that don't work properly. One source for refined food could be factions. If you go along their rules and you get refined food - if not - get it from somewhere else.

The "NCR community" is a figure of speech which implies you are not in any way affiliated with any gang and you don't get how they work and why they work. The thing is gangs are able to create their own agenda and pursue it. That's what they're fighting for. It's the same as for any other society. One could say that everything we do in life is futile or is done to power our egos or to see our name in the newspapers, but such issues are related to the way you see the world, not the game itself. The "power" gangs are fighting for is basically ideology. And the fact that you have people fighting for ideology in a mmorpg game proves that this part of the game is quite fucking succesful.

From outsider's point of view they all follow the same agenda: kill everything and cause as much troubble as possible. No wonder the ncr nuubs finds you elite pvp players weird and hard to understand if you always shoot everyone you can before they get to ask any questions. But then again the game itself could be blamed here too: there's no place for gangs to advertize themselves and tell what they are all about. I still don't get what, for example VSB actually wants.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 02:13:55 pm »

Nice Boat I don't understand why you are systematicaly against changes. This is a beta-test game so we have to "test" features to know if they are good or not. If the devs would have listened you since the beginning FOnline 2238 would still be TLA...

So yeah. I was against nerfing big guns, they became unnerfed. I was against messing that much with criticals, they were brought back to more or less what they were before. I was against nerfing sneak into oblivion - see, it's back. I was against bluesuit takeovers, see, there's militia. I said that 100 people for a single battle was boring, they're gone. Somehow I think the devs think roughly the way I do. And no, not all features have to be tested. For example a feature that would make everyone a pile of brahmin shit unable to do anything is uncalled for and shouldn't be "tested". People have imagination for that... which is sadly quite lacking here.

Ahahah, go on, Mastercoder! You have 5 minutes from now, let's see how easy it is to write the script. :)

Can I get the script we have for drugs? Because all the code you need to change is making everyone addicted to food, setting gained SPECIAL to 0 and adding some punishment for not getting a fix. Hell, I can't script in a language used in this game, but I bet my ass I'd make it.

So let's discuss about balance of that, maybe. Starting point : Big factions have lots, newbies haven't. At least, it's easy to balance. Any bluesuit can (and does) gather fruits easily. Unlike some posts I read seem to say, the main point of food & water isn't to make big gangs less powerful and newbies more powerful. In fact, I don't see how this suggestion would enlarge the gap between rich people and poor people in this game.

People getting killed for food. Undeniable. Newbies being clueless. Undeniable. I don't see how you can't see.

Well it wouldn't really be horribad unless refined food indeed was only available from unguarded places. And even then it wasn't the idea's fault but current settings' that don't work properly. One source for refined food could be factions. If you go along their rules and you get refined food - if not - get it from somewhere else.

Dude, the bombings. The burst assasinations. It'd be all there. Basically, if you want to make a whole lot of people butthurt, implement the food. If you don't, don't. Either way, I don't care that much.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:20:54 pm by Nice_Boat »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »

Somehow I think the devs think roughly the way I do.

This highlights the problem you have and explains most of your posts.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Nice_Boat

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »

This highlights the problem you have and explains most of your posts.

Somehow, I see my vision of the game prevailing most of the time. Also, weren't ad personam arguments prohibited by the forum rules, just like the posts that didn't contain any relevant content and weren't the mods supposed to follow the highest standards? ::)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:08 pm »

Irrelevant content ? I just underlined the key to know why your posts are always so full of arrogance !
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Nice_Boat

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »

Irrelevant content ? I just underlined the key to know why your posts are always so full of arrogance !

Yeah, I tend to be a bit of an asshole here... which doesn't change the fact that you're talking about me and not any issue relevant to the game. I think you should commit suicide to save your honour about now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:49:33 pm by Nice_Boat »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:56 pm »

Can I get the script we have for drugs? Because all the code you need to change is making everyone addicted to food, setting gained SPECIAL to 0 and adding some punishment for not getting a fix. Hell, I can't script in a language used in this game, but I bet my ass I'd make it.
People getting killed for food. Undeniable. Newbies being clueless. Undeniable. I don't see how you can't see.

Look, let's talk normal, calm and like civilised people. Maybe someone just has to clearify such suggestions (I agree with you that this threads suggestion isn't clearly fleshed out).

- You don't need to feed your offline characters.
- You don't need to take food/water every few minutes.
- Food can be also used as HP boosting, or maybe temporarily slight Skillpoint increase (+2 points in every skill when taking redefined food)
- It will open new ways for players to play the game. Think of new professions, farms etc.
- People mustn't search the whole day for food, there could be "lower" tier stuff which could be find in the wastes, making you fed, but without bonusses. If you dont like to scavenge for it, just buy it from other players.
- Said new professions could be interesting for people not only interested in PvP.

Many people have paranoia about that because they maybe don't get it right. No one wants to create a sims game, where your character has to shit every minutes or making a meal every minutes. It's just an addition to the general atmosphere.

Do you now see that a simple change of an existing script for drugs doesnt work? Not only you don't know the code, there'll have to be new ingame images, item images and so on and so on.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:06 pm »

speaking of which, those empty people one finds dead in the encounters, like tough guard, average merchant, low-nomad, little boy, they all could contain a random food so a combat PvE char can get some food on the go.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Nice_Boat

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 02:38:04 pm »

Look, let's talk normal, calm and like civilised people. Maybe someone just has to clearify such suggestions (I agree with you that this threads suggestion isn't clearly fleshed out).

- You don't need to feed your offline characters.
- You don't need to take food/water every few minutes.
- Food can be also used as HP boosting, or maybe temporarily slight Skillpoint increase (+2 points in every skill when taking redefined food)
- It will open new ways for players to play the game. Think of new professions, farms etc.
- People mustn't search the whole day for food, there could be "lower" tier stuff which could be find in the wastes, making you fed, but without bonusses. If you dont like to scavenge for it, just buy it from other players.
- Said new professions could be interesting for people not only interested in PvP.

Many people have paranoia about that because they maybe don't get it right. No one wants to create a sims game, where your character has to shit every minutes or making a meal every minutes. It's just an addition to the general atmosphere.

It's a good implementation and if it has to be done let's do it like that. Moreover, please do recognize the fact that I wasn't against the idea, I just pointed out it's going to hurt the newbies, which it certainly will for the reasons mentioned above. Basically, the way you implement food determines exactly how will they get hurt, but the fact that they will stands - simply because it will make them more of a target, if not anything else.

Do you now see that a simple change of an existing script for drugs doesnt work? Not only you don't know the code, there'll have to be new ingame images, item images and so on and so on.

The images are all there (water bucket, various kinds of meals etc.), and honestly - it's very easy to code something that's basically already done. Because in the end, food messes with your HP and SPECIAL, right? There's already a lot of items that do just that, all that is needed is altering it a bit - which is remarkably easy in any scripting language. Given the fact that it's been suggested a lot, I see only two explanations:

- the devs don't care, it's a low level issue and will be implemented in a thousand years or so
- the devs think it's stupid and it won't get implemented at all.

Either way, I think we won't be seeing our characters doing the omnomnom thing anytime soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:40:47 pm by Nice_Boat »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »

Quote from:
The images are all there (water bucket, various kinds of meals etc.), and honestly - it's very easy to code something that's basically already done. Because in the end, food messes with your HP and SPECIAL, right? There's already a lot of items that do just that, all that is needed is altering it a bit - which is remarkably easy in any scripting language. Given the fact that it's been suggested a lot, I see only two explanations:

As if it would be so easy. :)

Either way, I think we won't be seeing our characters doing the omnomnom thing anytime soon.

It's not top priority and other things are more important at the moment. I am fine with that.
I just wrote that summary one post ago for others who think they will have to treat their character like a tamagotchi from now on.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

I do not want food implemented into this MMORPG if it means you will constantly have a timer of how long you have till you either die or eat again.

Other than that we already have some food so why implement more?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:54 pm »

I suggest you read Surf Solar's post, above. Plus, let's take radiation for example. Is there a countdown showing how long you have till you die because of the radiation ? No.

That's true, mostly because there are tons of things that are top-priority right now (and for the next months/years, I guess).

Moreover, please do recognize the fact that I wasn't against the idea
Yes, I guess you were even for it... :p
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.