"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:22:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Death... and consequences of it.  (Read 4835 times)

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
Death... and consequences of it.
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »

On postapocaliptic setting probably most important element that create whole atmosphere is continuous struggle for survival in hostile environment, no matter of its cost. Unfortunately 2238 misses this aspect and death instead is serving as tool to solve many character related problems (even for for fast travelling around worldmap). This is completely wrong approach towards this problem and it should be deeply rethought.

First thing that came to my mind is about cvets idea of chopping trees for Hubologists to replicate on TLA. So it can be shortened to "work for respawn" and its elegant way to make death unpleasant experience.

So here are listed my thoughts about it:

a) it would be needed to remove random location respawn in favour to respawn at closest one

b) reworking respawn maps so should replicate atmosphere close to one of the nearest city

c) maps should not have any exit grid, but instead it should include some annoying task that need to be performed in order to leave it, also player should get some small reward for completing it (and it should take approximately time needed to relogin on another character).

So the final question is - what do you think about this idea?
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: Death... and consequences of it.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:16 pm »

Cutting trees?  What the hell...?  Something more...  realistic please, what would Hubologists need wood for?

Other then that sure.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »

At last...i wait it.....it is GREAT idea!!! :)

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:58 pm »

Sounds interesting, but how about instead of "re-spawn at closest city", you get to pick the area you want to re-spawn because of increased time of not being able to be in the action? No, not exact location, but an area like "really far south", "kinda in the middle of it all", "somewhere on the west shoreline" etc. These options would come in dialog for after you completed your work. Of course, if anything related to skejwen's suggestion is implemented, re-spawn points should be more dynamic, as in more available choices to re-spawn at.

As for the suggestion itself, don't devs already have a modified re-spawn system they will implement after update?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:23:31 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

DonGizmo

• This is the end...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »

Well, i think that more predictable respawn is good idea, but rest is not. My question is: Will be benefit of this idea implementation equal to work that it will need? In my opinion, there is not exist PvE in Fonline and this should be first on list. It also needs new maps, quests, scripts, so no need to make this.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:36:48 pm »

This is not a good idea.

For example when you meet a bored GM who nuke whole Shady Sands, or just get burst from a guard who was shooting on someone else. Or to be killed when your encounter screed don't load, you get stuck on world map and some rat kills you.

That is one no from me. :)

Parowooz

• Maximum Pain
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:47:11 pm »

Why death penalty when I can login onto one of my 12 alts?

Bombers: already have couple of alts.
TC combat: alting is essential because using the same char to go back to combat instead of just picking another prepared alt would take too much time

And so on, and so on.

First reduce reasons to have alts. Death penalty is another reason for more alts and there already is a punishment for dying. You get bursted by random bluesuit in NCR and you respawn in Klamath.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:53:05 pm by Parowooz »
Developers, developers, developers, developers...

Signor

• Hairy Potter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 11:50:58 pm »

The current system for dealing with character death and respawn is fine as it is and now while I can understand the first two points, it is the third that presents the most problem.

c) maps should not have any exit grid, but instead it should include some annoying task that need to be performed in order to leave it, also player should get some small reward for completing it (and it should take approximately time needed to relogin on another character).

Death within this game is more then a common occurence its to be expected and I'd probably estimate that theres atleast one person dying every couple minutes somewhere, even so to begin arbitrarily punishing people because they die with menial tasks that may require a timeout of atleast three minutes will do more harm.

Obviously for higher level characters this wouldn't hurt as much due to they would have the nessecary skills, items, etc to escape dying in some cases although for many newer characters they would feel the full brunt of it as in most cases they won't have their skills developed or items yet to avoid death and it would become frustrating for newer players if they died only to spend three minutes on a menial task only to then die again and repeat the same all over again.

Even still the menial task itself could be relatively easy but still timeouts the player for a set period of time because they were simply unlucky because some random person bombed them in NCR for example. Now even if the task did grant some reward it would have repercussions on the economy if the reward was either monetary or good's based, as what would stop people from farming that quest at higher levels unless a limit was placed on it but then that would negate the whole point of forcing people to spend time on respawning. The reward could also be XP but then you'd also offer players an easy way to level if not limited aswell but also presents the same issue if it were.

The current system albeit questionable isn't broken and to begin punishing players because they can die at the drop of a pin would just aggravate people more then fix anything.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:07:41 am by Signor »
Scientists will eventualy stop flailing around with solar power and focus their efforts on harnessing the only truly unlimited source of energy on the planet: stupidity! ~ Scott Adams

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »

This is not a good idea.

For example when you meet a bored GM who nuke whole Shady Sands, or just get burst from a guard who was shooting on someone else. Or to be killed when your encounter screed don't load, you get stuck on world map and some rat kills you.

That is one no from me. :)

What does that have to do with the suggestion? You seem to just be complaining about dying, not about the current re-spawn system.

For topic: The system does need to be changed; whether skejwen's way is the best, I don't know, but killing yourself to re-spawn in a different place is not how the game is supposed to go, and a little quest after dying seems to be okay. But the "re-spawn quest" shouldn't be anything repetitive, because if it is anything like shit shoveling, or box carrying, it won't do good.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:24 am »

What does that have to do with the suggestion? You seem to just be complaining about dying, not about the current re-spawn system.

Maybe I am just complaining. But imagine: You will be killed in a way that I have described (you can't make any precaution to that) and will have to for example 15 min. shovel shit to get out of that area. And this will happen to you 3 times in a row. Will you like this game even more?
I just though that loosing equipement that you collected for about 1-2 hours is punishment enough. But maybe I am just complaining :)

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:38 am »

Why death penalty when I can login onto one of my 12 alts?

Bombers: already have couple of alts.
TC combat: alting is essential because using the same char to go back to combat instead of just picking another prepared alt would take too much time

And so on, and so on.

First reduce reasons to have alts. Death penalty is another reason for more alts and there already is a punishment for dying. You get bursted by random bluesuit in NCR and you respawn in Klamath.

Haha. You have 12 alts? thats neat, youll wait 11x10minutes to relog if everyone dies and after youll have to make this 10 minute penalty, good for you bro

I support of this idea only if its possible! What would happen if someone just restarted the client? If that person would still be in the penalty area unless that char makes some good thing for that its ok
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Glave

• Trolling de geso~
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:11:56 am »

On postapocaliptic setting probably most important element that create whole atmosphere is continuous struggle for survival in hostile environment, no matter of its cost. Unfortunately 2238 misses this aspect and death instead is serving as tool to solve many character related problems (even for for fast travelling around worldmap). This is completely wrong approach towards this problem and it should be deeply rethought.

First thing that came to my mind is about cvets idea of chopping trees for Hubologists to replicate on TLA. So it can be shortened to "work for respawn" and its elegant way to make death unpleasant experience.

So here are listed my thoughts about it:

a) it would be needed to remove random location respawn in favour to respawn at closest one

b) reworking respawn maps so should replicate atmosphere close to one of the nearest city

So the final question is - what do you think about this idea?

Fails miserably. It's not the respawns that need to be reworked, it's the cooldowns and lack of time consumption by doing simple tasks, fe. crafting a combat armor should take 10 minutes after clicking the FIX button, not to even mention time that should be spent on digging materials, smelting it(kind of unrelated, but gives a good example).

There's absolutely no pleasure in repeating annoying tasks, but there should certainly be more time spent required in order to leave the respawn place. Let's say, you spawn with both legs crippled and a cooldown on doctor skill. Then, an NPC will patch you up after a certain duration, which will decrease as you spend time on character and increase with each death subsequent to the, let's say second in one real life day.

There could be a number of ways that could reset the timer and perhaps THOSE should be the annoying tasks you mentioned, but they should obviously be optional. Forcing players do to annoying and repetetive things makes the game plain boring.
You have received a warning due to the fact of deliberately breaching the Internet etiquette of the Fonline 2238 community, posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to bait or excite users into responding or to test the forum rules (...)

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:18:00 am »

I like the idea of chopping wood, it could be gathering junk, flint, HQ mats or 10 primitive tools etc. this needs to be a chore not a time to wait up. I agree with Skejwen on that
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 02:38:07 am »

There are advantages and disadvantages related to random respawn.
Nevertheless it makes more sense to respawn close to where you died (or does that Modoc farmer really travels to the Boneyard regularly?).

I don't like the idea of tasks to leave the respawn area.
It's not uncommon to get into an encounter close to the respawn area (NCR NE respawn, Boneyard respawn) and be killed by raiders or other thugs.
So you can do all that stuff again to leave the respawn area once again hoping you won't get a bad encounter this time around.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:29:48 am »

It would be nice if there was a back story to it, for example: you are near death and then found by a band of slaver and imprisoned in a slave camp (maps were already made of slave camps). Then they make you work hard labor (mining, chopping wood, gathering) equivalent of 10 minutes real time and before you leave you are compensated say 100 caps (even prisoners get paid working in prisons).
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 5.032 seconds with 23 queries.