"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:24:47 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Death... and consequences of it.  (Read 4829 times)

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
Re: Death... and consequences of it.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »

and it does, full loot does it tell u something ,weakness, spawn somewhere else with 5 hp.
dont u all think its enough

No. Try it IRL. you dont even have 5hp

Well there can be many stories, stories are not the problem. Yeah, you die, you need to work like a slave as a punishment but then you are rewarded for this work with hope youll do better, so actually this punishment and reward is good as it reminds you how serious it is and also gives you something to avoid it (lvl 0 gun)

The stories can be:

"NCR rangers found your body and revived in order to use some cheap labour to gather minerals" (you get primitive tools or hammer?)
"Hubologists found your body, sampled DNA and cloned you to be their slave to gather fibre for their robes" (you get a knife)

The problem is killing in those zones. I guess it should be guarded. Stealing disabled
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 04:00:28 pm »

technically the tier 0 small gun (mauser), it sucks balls, literally, so IF we're even going to discuss giving tier 0 weapons the weapon given out should be the 10mm pistol, I don't even get why it's craftable in the first place... it should be a collector's item...

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

avv

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »

Death is inevitable in the game, but some act like it has no meaning. I hope to change this.
Also note: CUTTING TREES was Example, oi, quit acting like that is what will happen.  I hope it won't be so boring, though considering the number of respawns, some probably are going to be more tedious than others.

Okay but what's the point of cutting trees in first place? It has exactly as much point as some encounters after levelling to 21. I mean when you're at level 21 encounters like radscorpions and rats are nothing but nuisance, they add nothing to your gaming experience. Neither would some time-sink job when you die.

To give living and dying a purpose there has to be something that you lose when you die and get when you live. This could be reputation, for example. When you die, your reputation worsens and you become more like a loser or miserable hobo. Npcs will laugh at and spit on you, players will be aware of your pitiful state. But when you stay alive and experience harsh situations (not grinding centaurs) you become more adored and famous. This reputation could be then utilized in various ways.

Another thing could be hunger, if ever food and water was implemented. After defeat you're in bad shape and have to drink and eat. Otherwise you'd be weakened and couldn't fight or craft profesion items. This way food&water would be important resource because having it would make gangs and factions be able to send freshly defeated soldiers back in action fast.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »

Everyone knows that its not about cutting tree. Cutting tree, fiber, mining some resources, making some quest will be boring. I know i wrote that in my previous post, but i think that you dont realise that you will make that thing after every death. And death, especially on low levels is very common. So after first 50 death it will be just mindless clicking. I agree that death need some penalty but i really dont like your solution.

What about:
-adding new kind of addiction "weakned" which is gained after death and last for 20min. It lower your stats/skills by 1/2. 
or
-penalty to experience points

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

IMO dying already suck enough for newbies. I find the random respawn a huge hindrance, as getting suicide bombed in NCR and then respawning near klamath is a huge pain in the ass. I feel like stricter penalties for death would discourage new players greatly, as newbs die quite often.
You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that i was gonna score with someday maybe!

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »

IMO dying already suck enough for newbies. I find the random respawn a huge hindrance, as getting suicide bombed in NCR and then respawning near klamath is a huge pain in the ass. I feel like stricter penalties for death would discourage new players greatly, as newbs die quite often.

Well now youll be quite close and youll get a gun.. how does that sound, dying is expensive
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

avv

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:31 pm »

What about:
-adding new kind of addiction "weakned" which is gained after death and last for 20min. It lower your stats/skills by 1/2.

You see in pvp people die, they are supposed to. It wouldn't be very rational in terms of enjoying the game if pvp only got one round of pvp per 20 minutes. 

-penalty to experience points

You mean they would level backwards? Well then it's just like this: die, go kill some centaurs and you're back in bussiness.

I'm not sure if it's possible to find solutions here because some of us are thinking system that would fit the current form of game and some are thinking of the future. Skejwen wanted to punish dying so that people wouldn't suicide to cure their problems like crippling. However this can also be fixed by making it not worthwhile to die because living is supposed to be more profitable. But that leads to the problem that we die very easily anyway. So simpliest solution to the actual problem of curing radiation and cripples would be that dying wouldn't remove them.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 08:17:57 pm »

That is a problem. What kind of server we want? Realistic, PvP shooter, Roleplaying? I would be happy to know about future plans for this server and what is the final objective for devs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:21:24 pm by Rejfyl »
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »

Percentage based XP loss modified by player levels.

Low levels lose little experience (less than killing a rad scropion might net them) while mid-levels end up set back a bit. Dying at level 21 weakens your SPECIAL's by on or two points instead lasting 15-20 minutes or so. Conditional: You can not lose levels in this way, your experience can not be decreased lower than the minimum required for your current level - important to prevent greifing so one dude doesn't just set up on a nother dude and set him back days worth of XP in an hour.

The result - less time felt wasted on nonsensical busy work quests, click this now click that, click this now click that. The game shouldbe fun not tedious out the arse which it can do masterfully thanks to an interface system over a decade old. Low levels die well that's life at low levels, oh wel you lost a couple of XP, too bad so sad... go kill a rad scropion or a molerat and get it back again. Mid level died? Harsh dude, I feel for you, gonna need to find a few random encounters, brush yourself off and pick yourself back up. Max level and died? Well you keep your experience but the trauma's left you a bit fatigued you're going to have to be pretty careful until your head clears up and your body stops aching, old timer.

The point is death needs to set you back a bit so you have cause and want to avoid it, but it shouldn't be a PITA that puts you through dated interface manipulation and click fests. I'm not a fan of time sinks in games, they already are time sinks. This is technically a time sink but its not obvious "Do this stupid nonsense thirty times and I'll let you go," it's an "Aw crap, I died and now I gotta go kill somethings to level up again, oh well at least I like shooting stuff!"

I'd also like either more hotels (infinite hotel size please, don't give me that immersion crap as a reason it can't be done - there's three hundred vault dwellers running around start there if you're going to fix immerison) or, yes, respawn near closest city/settlement/town/whatever-you'd-call-some-of-the-filthy-hovels-that-populations-gather-into-in-Fallout. Nothing is worse as a character starting out then getting some momentum then dying by freak chance and getting booted half a state away from your tent/stash of crap in a town.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.