Yes!
- 18 (56.3%)
No!
- 13 (40.6%)
I dunno...
- 1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The trading is rotten...  (Read 7594 times)

The trading is rotten...
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:58:19 pm »

Just like the title says, the way i see it, the trading just aint working right. Im talking about player to player trade. Everyday more and more topics and situations in-game make me think abit about this, and slowly i've gotten to this conclusion: it isnt reliable to trade, its more reliable to make crafting alt; it takes too much time to trade, instead seeking someone who has the 10 gecko pelts, il simply go kill geckos myself and mostly, it isnt safe to trade: your trade partners sidekick can steal off your items/caps while trading, someone might kill you while trading, someone might scam you with items, lure you into a trap and so on and so on...
Now, this definately isnt a main priority suggestion, but this, i guess, is what the suggestion subforum is for.
So that was the introduction, the problem.
Fix im offering:
call it as you want, but for now i'l call it just mail. Yes, people, mail. I've tought this plenty times: what the heck, it aint realistic, mail in wasteland? But then again, its gameplaywise, and in my eyes, gameplay>realism. The idea is pretty much snitched off other MMO's; you send item to reciever and if the reciever wishes to get it, he has to buy the caps. Bit more in-depth, an example more like:
Player A wishes to send 5 plasma rifles to player B.
Problem No. 1: Player B doesnt trust player A, he think it might be a trap, besides, loosing X caps wouldnt be good.
Problem No. 2: Player B has 20% outdoorsman. He is at Hub, player A is at Klamath. Hell yeah.
Problem No. 3: Player B wishes to buy all the rifles, but he is offline right now. Meanwhile, player A is worried - he is going sleeping in few minutes, he very likely wont be online tomorrow and he needs the caps.

Fix for all of the problems: unlogical, unrealistic, unexplainable mail system.
Each city and larger areas (Gordons Gas, for example) could contain one mailbox wich would work like a faction terminal. You can use this terminal to give items to other players, simply trough some kind of dialog the mailbox takes away your item and 'sends' it to the reciever. When the recieving person uses any mailbox, he can withdraw the item. Similiar when its about trading. Seller sends a laser rifle to buyer and determines the price, 3000 caps lets say. The buyer recieves the item and to withdraw it from the mailbox he must have atleast 3000 caps in inventory, wich get 'eaten' by the terminal upon laser rifle withdrawal. Later the sender can use any mailbox/terminal to get his 3000 caps. Also, during the dialog, seller could determine how long does the item is available to buy for the buyer. This means that if buyer decides to actually not buy the item, seller gets it back in, let it be 1 hour, 2 days or a week.
I hope i runned down the basics clear and understandable.

The mechanics might be kind of hard to implement, but dialog shouldnt.
Seller's dialog with terminal could be something like:
1. Select item you wish to sell.
*Items you got in your inventory listed down, OR type the item name trough ''Say''*
2. Select the reciever/target
*Enter persons name trough ''Say''*
3. What would be the price of item?
*Enter price trough ''Say''
4. How long you wish to sell?
*Choose amount of time from a list*

And reciever's would look like this:
1. You got no new items/You got new item/items!
2. Its a light support weapon loaded 30/30 .223 FMJ and 78% deteroriaton./... looks like it has been repaired already.
3. Do you wish to withdraw this item?/... it needs X caps to withdraw it.

This would definately, ihmo, improve player-to-player trade. Only cons i see for it is the dumbness and unrealism of it.
I guess thats it, i hope i didnt miss anything out and you'l get it.
My own vote goes to 5th option.
I give a fuck.

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
Re: The trading is rotten...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »

The simplest thing to improve trading is to make places where fighting is impossible. "Non-PvP area"
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:26 pm »

The simplest thing to improve trading is to make places where fighting is impossible. "Non-PvP area"
Or then just make someone place to non-pvp.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:54 pm »

I know what you mean, also i've read Chiko's suggestion. Ironically, this idea was born while talking with Chiko on IRC  :P
Also, such a market would still need to go there, spend your time looking for buyers or waiting for someone to start selling items etc. Id doesnt fix offline trading, fast trading. I dont see it as the best way out; you can aswell use 2238trade IRC channel.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:12:07 pm by Quentin Lang »
I give a fuck.

Parowooz

• Maximum Pain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:04:14 pm »

We already have a mail, it's called a train. You can use a train to travel long distances, don't you? And about risk of being killed - wasteland is harsh, get over it.
Developers, developers, developers, developers...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »

And about risk of being killed - wasteland is harsh, get over it.

Yeah, the perfect answer for everything...

Chiko

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:06:10 pm »

Train is solution :D
It can do same thing than that "magic mail"

Edit: you just put letter item to pack and buyer can check what "pack" contains or something message.
And you must pay let's say.. 100-200 caps that train make you pack way to right place (price depends of place)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:07:59 pm by runboy93 »
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »

We already have a mail, it's called a train. You can use a train to travel long distances, don't you? And about risk of being killed - wasteland is harsh, get over it.
If you mean using trains to travel from south to north, well then, gotta say, trains suck. You dont get much more faster around with them, you still need to wait for them and you, AFAIK, need some dumb ticket all the time. And about wasteland is being harsh, you dont need to tell me that, im pretty sure i've played FO half more you've done and died two times less.
I give a fuck.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »

I'd rather have a hardmounted radio for everyone in town with a loudspeaker.

You dial a faction name or a location for 10 caps or 100 caps to yell through the loudspeaker over the whole dialed location.

For example:

"You fockers in Broken Hills, i'm gonna mine and give you 100 caps for entry and 900 caps after i'm done, so cease fire"
or.
"Calling TraderJoe in SF, wanna trade .223 at Adytum!"

Edit: it would also add more diplomacy to the game.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:19:18 pm by Alvarez »

Parowooz

• Maximum Pain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »

If you mean using trains to travel from south to north, well then, gotta say, trains suck. You dont get much more faster around with them, you still need to wait for them and you, AFAIK, need some dumb ticket all the time.
The trains just've been implented, they are not completely done, they are still buggy and not finished. You can't even see train stations without taking a quest so I guess it should be enough of a hint for you to understand that trains are in the very first stages.

And about wasteland is being harsh, you dont need to tell me that, im pretty sure i've played FO half more you've done and died two times less.
OMG I"M BETTER THAN YOU NOOB XAXAXA. Yeah, keep talking like that.
Developers, developers, developers, developers...

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:31:56 pm »

I also suggest removing the unnecessary voting options and stop the fucking shitstorm about HARSHfuckingNESS, unless you want a mod closing this business here.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:55:53 pm »

Sigh, we already had this. Please don't write humorous options in a poll. Either you are serious with a poll, or you are not.
Removed the "funny" ones.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:13:09 pm by Surf Solar »

avv

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:10:52 pm »

Biggest propblem with player to player economy are alts. If someone really wants something he makes an alt because it's the fastest and easiest way. People who actually buy stuff from others don't want to waste their time too much or refuse to alt.

After this supply and demand issue has been fixed it's all the same how the actual deliving of stuff works. Hell if we ever got a trading where the only way to get certain stuff was from other players a really cool player-created systems might be arranged. I'm imagining a neatral zone guarded by players who are only inerested in bussiness.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »

God no, where are all these RuneScape suggestions coming from!?!?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:43:40 pm »

Quentin, I have to agree with you, that trading is pretty fucked up (and I think I am one of people, who know the most about it)... but your suggestions doesnt solve it too much... with this solution we will have thieves and other griefers just camping those "mail terminals", where will people withdraw their stuff or caps...

But if we will work with this suggestion, lets make it a bit more fallouty... the suggestion you have made is working in many online games, in one or other way, and we just need to rework it for fonline... so I have two ideas how to make it fitting into fonline universe:

1) train or caravan delivery... - it will work only at train stations or at towns with caravan outposts... you will speak with caravan leader or some trade officer at train station, give him your item and name the price... then the other player can withdraw it at any train station or caravan at town after handing the named amount of caps...

2) bazaars at towns... - there will be some man or men at every town, lets call him "auctioneer" for example... you will give him the stuff you wanna sell and name the lowest price you want for it, then every player who comes to him can see the items and make a bid for the price... after some period the player with highest bid can withdraw his stuff...

First or second idea, or some combination of them should really be implemented in the game, as it will make the game good for every type of crafter as they will have finally opportunity to sell their stuff properly...
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 25 queries.