"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 11:19:54 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is Role Playing?  (Read 10783 times)

lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
What is Role Playing?
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:27:49 pm »

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: What is Role Playing?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »

Quite informative for the people who think "OMG I ROLEPLAYAN A RIADOR WHU KIELZ PPLZ" is an excuse. :P
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:24 am »

Quite informative for the people who think "OMG I ROLEPLAYAN A RIADOR WHU KIELZ PPLZ" is an excuse. :P

Youre SO naive.

You really think that kids using this excuse would read such a long piece of text?

Reconite

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:08:50 am »

You're SO naive.

You really think that kids using this excuse would read such a long piece of text?

Haha, very good point. ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:09:49 am »

Fonline restricts my RPing of a nudist molester by forcing me to wear blue pajamas. Stop being such a prude fonline.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:39:46 pm »

You will have to beg GM's for tribal skin - thats at least closer then jumpsuit.

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:52:07 pm »

The text hits spot-on the main issues: people don't play a role in RPGs anymore, they metaplay by treating the RPG as a board game, not as a fictional scenario. Roleplayers take into account the setting, time, what his character knows at that point, that his character can't see the name written above that person, that his character can't go using words like leveling and such, and among other things. Metaplayers just go around calling people by their names, using memes and slangs from his current era, telling everyone their level, they don't play the role at all.

However, there are many profiles of players and all should be acceptable. What isn't acceptable is having metagamers calling themselves roleplayers just because they play (not) a RPG.

A good text overall and I'd post a comment, if it allowed anonymity.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:19:50 am »

Metaplayers just go around calling people by their names, using memes and slangs from his current era, telling everyone their level, they don't play the role at all.

Yeah, I hate this absolute. Few days ago, I was online and tried to play a role but was interrupted by other players every two seconds. It's just not fun this way. People just don't get it... dunno why it's so hard to understand.

The same goes for "u" instead of "you", etc... it's just annoying and nothing more. You don't even write better with this, because other players need more time to understand this stuff.

Reconite

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:28:50 am »

The "Christmas Event" didn't really help...

I was hoping for something Role-Playing related, but instead: "Here, have some Power Armor so you can go run around as an unstoppable killing machine". The "event" was made just to please the power-players of 2238 and not the guys who want to have fun without all the "lol u n00b i kill u". In-fact, I didn't even bother to turn up for the "Christmas event" once I found out what it would entail.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:34:34 am »

Well, none of these kind of events have been like that, maybe except the comedian or fight night. But that's not really for the thread here.

Mostly it's very much dependant on the players. If they are not acting like they are playing a role, it will not work. And I personally hate it to add strict rules for this and warn with banning players or whatever stuff, just to keep this in line. It's no fun at all.

Reconite

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:32 am »

All I'm saying is that it was a disappointment compared to some of the events we've been getting before. And the fact that the devs/GMs were behind the idea doesn't really help the encouragement to role-play. I'm not expecting to see BBS (or whoever got the PA) running around in Power Armor pretending to be the Brotherhood of Steel. Instead I'm expecting them to be "the ultimate player-killer" kinda person.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:55:14 am »

Im sorry for writing something that may really matter in offtopic ( ;) ) but:

How about organising some Role Playing event for players who are really interested in it? I mean - the event starts for some group of people and its RP on till the end. If you dont apply to the rules, you can't participate in the event anymore. No "lols" and "xd" - everyone has to play a role. Im damn sure theres gonna be some players that would gladly help orginising such a thing and its not that hard to make :)

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:45 am »

If we are going to have real RP in the game, we'll need to have it as a seperate server. It's simple not possible to have a server for both metaplayers and RP:ers.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 02:20:07 am »

Im just talking about some occasional events - they dont need to include any rewards so it wont have any serious influence on the server. Since there are players that can RP on their trips and have fun, such events with a little help of  some GM's such a thing would be sweet.

Though it was just a question, so m not gonna force it or whine about it ;) Don't worry!

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »

I will think about it, personnally. But as Ghosthack said, it has to be temporary (So, only an event), because you can't do roleplay all the time on a such versatile server.
If you have concrete ideas about roleplay events, catch me in PM or on IRC.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 18 queries.