"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 07:45:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What is Role Playing?  (Read 10777 times)

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: What is Role Playing?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »

If they admins are already filtering the word "C mon" (no space), which is actually a correct abbreviation of "come on" (give or take an apostrophe). If they're gonna correct tiny grammatical errors like that, I'd hate to think what they're gonna filter next. It seems a bit much when compared to what NMA filters: "pl z" (no space, because they filtered that here too), for example. "C mon" (no space) is not leet speak.
If they're gonna filter "C mon" they shouldn't switch it to "come on", but "C'mon".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:25:00 pm by Reconite »
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 07:56:22 pm »

"C'mon" is not leetspeak to me either. And the whole suggestion about implementing that system ingame was merely a joke, it'd be too menial to implement.

Besides, we should avoid discussing the game or suggestions here, as this is the off-topic subforum. Let's all focus on how good RP is severely wounded :D

BurntAluminum

• The Intelligence Quotient
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 10:27:13 pm »

Fallout wastelands are full of scums and punks, so it is much much simpler than fantasy ;)

Exactly Minus the Rape and use of txtspeek(Which if you look at it the right way, it's like laughing at morons they crumble before you, or spit out more hillariously stupid drivel), it's a fairly realistic depiction of a Post Apocalyptic setting.  There are gangs who pillage and rape, racism is rampant(I got killed by I believe a polish person, for not being a dick to a russian person or is it the other way around?), and the Counter-strike kiddies  with hormone imbalances will on a constant basis go crazy and say things to a corpse like 'u r my bitch :)'... Nutjobs don't get locked up after the bombs drop, they become stains in society which happen to talk to dead people.

Oddly enough I've got the urge to make a PK Character who will kill someone, and talk in an RP posh British accent as he has a loony tea party with a bunch of corpses. Often offering crumpets to the carcasses, and stuffing them into their dismembered gory maws and making up a fake pretend voice for them.

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:47 pm »

and talk in an RP posh British accent as he has a loony tea party with a bunch of corpses. Often offering crumpets to the carcasses, and stuffing them into their dismembered gory maws and making up a fake pretend voice for them.
Oh man, I hate the British stereotype.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

BurntAluminum

• The Intelligence Quotient
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:13 pm »

Yes, I agree, but I can't get it out of my head, it's like having a teaparty with a bunch of Dolls, but the dolls are... Well That's already been explained...

I think this is my first post that does not involve a gigantic paragraph, and rambling... Wait, Nevermind, this is rambling...

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchKa8Ox3Hs TEAPARTY!

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:22 pm »

The problem with roleplaying in FOnline is that FOnline is not really a roleplaying game. At best it's just a set of rules with an interface that isn't really suited for a real roleplaying session. Why? I'll try to explain.

The basic conditions of a decent roleplaying session are to have a) everyone willing to put some effort into getting "inside" his or her character, b) everyone being on more or less the same level of understanding the gameworld's lore and preferably c) gamemasters watching over all of the players and creating the atmosphere and the story. The obvious implication of this fact is that you need a clearly defined group of people you know and dedicated gamemasters willing to prepare each and every one of them to play (say what details are the most important for a given story, tell the most important stuff about the setting to the newcomers etc.).

Now, FOnline is an open game. That means that at least some people are going to miss a) and b) and there's not gonna be enough gamemasters to complete c). Does that mean that FOnline fails in the end? No, because it's not a roleplaying session, it's an MMORPG - a completely different medium. It uses a different set of tricks to create the immersion. It doesn't offer a story or a set of serious RPG veterans, but by it's very nature it forces gang members to engage in politics, solitary players to put a lot of effort in maintaining their equipment and expanding their influence etc. For an MMORPG, it's very postapocaliptic and falloutesque. If you want more immersion (and, consequently, less people behaving out of character), think of more gameplay-mechanics related things that'd force the players to act as their characters would act. Don't blame the people who enjoy the game in their own way, especially since even among pen and paper roleplayers there's a lot of different and mutually exclusive approches to playing the game of this kind.

Let's face it - the only possible way of creating something at least remotely resembling a real roleplaying session in FOnline would be to create closed servers for a very limited, carefully handpicked group of people with similiar tastes supervised by a large group (I'm talking at least 1 per 5 players) of dedicated GMs. Otherwise we're stuck with what we have, and honestly - what we have ain't half bad. Don't hate the game and the playerbase for what it is, just relax and try enjoying it the way most of us do. Looking for a real roleplaying experience here is just going to frustrate you - and using crude methods and verbal abuse to force a more roleplay-oriented approach on the entire playerbase is going to frustrate everyone else.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:50:20 pm by Nice_Boat »

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 05:25:23 am »

This coming from one of the heads of bbs  :P . we all know your stance on roleplaying boat, the thing is they do implement things that immerse you into a character role, like being low intelligence when you speak in english it makes you sound like your an idiot, like replacing i for me and taking out words like the and and. so you end up with a sentence like me need meats.
Its actually forced me to think how a stupid guy would talk so i can get my point across to people. the thing is I dont think even if sepereate servers for roleplaying existed it would help the situation, players that like to have a little fun wth their game besides mindless slaughter shouldnt be shunted off to the negative zone, while of course the possiblility of getting attacked in the wasteland remains ever present thats part of the atmosphere and should remain part of the enviroment, it would shape how people act and respond, no one in the wasteland is going to be very trusting, everyone has to fight to stay alive and i think R.P's should reflect that.
plasma nade your face off!

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »

This coming from one of the heads of bbs  :P . we all know your stance on roleplaying boat

I was speaking less as a BBS leader and more as a pen and paper roleplayer with a few years of gaming experience. The reasons why I think FOnline is an almost completely different thing are outlined above.

the thing is they do implement things that immerse you into a character role, like being low intelligence when you speak in english it makes you sound like your an idiot, like replacing i for me and taking out words like the and and. so you end up with a sentence like me need meats.
Its actually forced me to think how a stupid guy would talk so i can get my point across to people.

And that's all good - such subtle details increase the immersion and of course should be implemented.

the thing is I dont think even if sepereate servers for roleplaying existed it would help the situation, players that like to have a little fun wth their game besides mindless slaughter shouldnt be shunted off to the negative zone, while of course the possiblility of getting attacked in the wasteland remains ever present thats part of the atmosphere and should remain part of the enviroment, it would shape how people act and respond, no one in the wasteland is going to be very trusting, everyone has to fight to stay alive and i think R.P's should reflect that.

I wasn't talking about shunting anyone off to the negative zone, I was just saying that to have a "total" roleplay you need a closed and very limited playerbase. The only thing I was protesting was the elitism of the "true roleplayers" of this server - I think you're missing a thing or two about the nature of the game and expect something that simply won't happen. I'm not saying you shouldn't roleplay at all - just don't get angry if most of the people you meet don't.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »

I didn't dare read through all the posts / pages, is there a lot of role playing going on in this? If so, that's great... I love role playing, 'been doing it for years now.
"Never will I be welcomed amongst the heartless monsters you surround yourself with, feeding off the pain and misfortune of others..." - DISTURBED

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 09:51:13 pm »

Speaking about roleplay, there's a roleplay bar that opened in The Hub, that is now mostly a roleplay town. I suggest roleplayers reading these lines to come there, if server gets up someday =p
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 02:50:11 am »

Speaking about roleplay, there's a roleplay bar that opened in The Hub, that is now mostly a roleplay town. I suggest roleplayers reading these lines to come there, if server gets up someday =p

Maybe if the activity expands slightly more, we could get a normal server and a role play server; staff dedicated to running both, especially the role play server. I'd definitely join the role play server, but anyways... yeah, I'll definitely go to the bar whenever the server is up.
"Never will I be welcomed amongst the heartless monsters you surround yourself with, feeding off the pain and misfortune of others..." - DISTURBED

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »

We had this on the very beginning of OBT3, every night in the Maltese Falcon. So it's good to see it again there. :)
It's cool that the cities in the south are getting more populated (and not just by PK's) I always liked that areas a lot more.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:17 pm »

About another server, "rp-only"... Well, without even considering the possibility of having our own server, don't you think it would be better to try first to make the roleplay successful into one town, rather than in one server ? I mean we've got so few roleplayers in FOnline, we can barely fill in The Hub with them yet.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 02:27:26 pm »

Why not expand to other towns? Like, Necropolis is really empty, there is noone etc.
It's more - the north towns are "ruled" by PK, the south is smooth and RP friendly, it seems.

(but this is getting offtopic ;) )
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 02:34:47 pm »

As Izual said. First - one city. If the idea succeeds, we gonna try expanding the Roleplaying area. Obviously with help of GMs..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 18 queries.