"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 06:50:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Changelog 30/12/2009 #3  (Read 11624 times)

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
Changelog 30/12/2009 #3
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:12:11 pm »

(SMALL FEATURES):
- NPCs in game loot too
- Encounter npcs get angry if you loot what they wanted grab

CHANGES (WIP):
- Craft timeout is cumulative, and it blocks you when you're above 60 minutes. That means fresh character can do some stuff than go playing. It's feature to be tested if it's good or not at all.

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: Changelog 30/12/2009 #3
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

CHANGES (WIP):
- Craft timeout is cumulative, and it blocks you when you're above 60 minutes. That means fresh character can do some stuff than go playing. It's feature to be tested if it's good or not at all.
I, for one, do not think this is how cooldowns should be handled.
It feel it kinda takes the point of it being a cooldown away if you can consecutively craft things before you actually have to "cool down" from crafting.

Was there anything actually wrong with the old system enough to influence a change like this? Or is this one of those 'test it out for a week and see how it goes' things? If it's the latter I have no problem with it really, you guys have to test ideas out but I really do not hope this is how crafting cooldowns will be handled for the rest of the beta / final version.

I'm not a fan of the "craft 400 bullets at once and then you have to wait 85 minutes to be able to craft again", it doesn't really make sense and It's one of those things how you have to wonder how it would work out long-term.

I think the old system was working ok, except for the possibility of bots crafting every 30 seconds or so because of static cooldowns. If the latter was happening I can see why you've thought of this idea, I just do not think it's executed very well because of certain situations like for e.g. When you need ammo quickly but cannot make it for another half hour. It's a lot more encumbering than the original crafting system.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the topic in question. :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:11:13 pm by Reconite »
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:19:00 pm »

It feel it kinda takes the point of it being a cooldown away if you can consecutively craft things before you actually have to "cool down" from crafting.

Well, it gives you the fun of the game, while not forcing you to sit hour in the cave, while also prevents the economy (cause in the end the values are the same)

Was there anything actually wrong with the old system enough to influence a change like this?

Well, many were unhappy that they couldn't just make gun and bullets and go hunting.

I just do not think it's executed very well because of certain situations like for e.g. When you need ammo quickly but cannot make it for another half hour

Does it really differ from previous approach here?

Reconite

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:52:48 pm »

Well, it gives you the fun of the game, while not forcing you to sit hour in the cave, while also prevents the economy (cause in the end the values are the same)

Well, many were unhappy that they couldn't just make gun and bullets and go hunting.

Well, actually, not only did you add this newest feature but you also raised the ammo crafting cooldowns to something over 10 minutes per batch to fit more with the "60+ mins and you have to wait" thing. So the end result is not the same as before when you could produce much more ammo in the same time frame but not have 60 minute cooldowns at the end.
It might be nice for the the guys who just want to go hunt, but it isn't very helpful when crafting is your profession and main source of exp. Not everyone has a group to go out hunting centaurs and wanamingos with. There are even people in the wastes almost never fight, but they craft and trade for exp and money (as far-fetched as it may sound). You have to consider things like this.

Does it really differ from previous approach here?

Uh yeah. I don't remember crafting cooldowns for some ammos being anything above 5 minutes, let alone 30 minutes, now your cooldowns just fill up like you put mentos in a bottle of coke.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

I look at the way crafting is treated now , and i like to think of the 'cooldowns' as more of the actual time it might take to create such an item. In that aspect, its pretty damn good.  8 hours for a complex suit of combat armor, fkn rights.
Ask yourself,  How long would it actually take to fill shells at a wasteland workbench,  Or to make a gun, for that matter.
It's quite realistic, but may not be suited for those who like to pick up a weapon and pwn noobz

Reconite

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:07:39 pm »

I look at the way crafting is treated now , and i like to think of the 'cooldowns' as more of the actual time it might take to create such an item. In that aspect, its pretty damn good.  8 hours for a complex suit of combat armor, fkn rights.
Ask yourself,  How long would it actually take to fill shells at a wasteland workbench,  Or to make a gun, for that matter.

Yeah, I tried to imagine this. But then how would you be crafting for the whole time you're running around killing stuff with a 60 minute cooldown? If you were glued to the workbench (metaphorically) for the cooldown time then It might make sense, but I don't think anyone wants that. ;)

It's quite realistic, but may not be suited for those who like to pick up a weapon and pwn noobz

Well, it's more the people who aren't running around pwning noobz that would be having problems with this (as I mentioned in my post above), as there are players less capable at PvE/PvP but more geared towards crafting.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:10:19 pm »

Uh yeah. I don't remember crafting cooldowns for some ammos being anything above 5 minutes, let alone 30 minutes, now your cooldowns just fill up like you put mentos in a bottle of coke.

Nah, you're mistaking it with another issue. Namely, having cigarettes at 0 timeout, brass knuckles at very low forced me to set some (arbitraly for now, since some other changes are pending anyway) minimum cap at 5 minutes. It's got nothing to do with cumulating up to 60 minutes.

Reconite

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:28 am »

Regardless, my other points are still valid. You've changed the crafting system in favour of PvPers and "people who just want to go fight" and left crafters handicapped. For the crafters that don't fight, what are they going to do for the 60-80 minutes that they're on cooldown? They're not gonna wait around, they're just gonna log off and come back later, thus 2238 losing players' interest in the game. This new system could also encourage more crafting alts because it's obvious people would rather wait 10 minutes for anti-alt than wait 80 minutes to be able to craft some more ammo.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

I don't see there such a big problem. If you craft and wait and craft and wait or first craft all and then wait... there is imo not a big difference except that with second method you are not forced to wait longer than needed until you can go on with gathering or whatever.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

Regardless, my other points are still valid. You've changed the crafting system in favour of PvPers and "people who just want to go fight" and left crafters handicapped. For the crafters that don't fight, what are they going to do for the 60-80 minutes that they're on cooldown? They're not gonna wait around, they're just gonna log off and come back later, thus 2238 losing players' interest in the game.

Pardon me?

This new system could also encourage more crafting alts because it's obvious people would rather wait 10 minutes for anti-alt than wait 80 minutes to be able to craft some more ammo.

Well, that's another issue I agree with, but we are aware of it.

Reconite

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »

Pardon me?

If they're not hooked on FOnline, the addiction ain't working.

It's like a drug... y'know.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:31:24 pm »

Well, I rather asked about how they're handicapped, not what happens if someone looses his drug (actually, after seeing other comments, I'm now very surprised someone can be addicted to sitting in cave waiting and occasional clicks).

Reconite

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »

Well, I rather asked about how they're handicapped

If they're not fighters, they have to wait through 80 minutes of nothing to be able to craft something again. And gathering for 80 minutes doesn't cut it when people have all the materials they need right in front of them.

Bartosz

• Rotator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 12:45:18 pm »

Somehow I think you understand it wrong:

I logged my char, went to my cave, made few pistols, some ammo, now I see my Craft timeout is > 60 minutes, so I can't do more. I can do *whatever* I want now (even sitting on workbench whistling, if that's what someone wants), except crafting, till it goes again below 60 minutes. If it go below 60 minutes, then it acts like previous  '0' value, with additional buffer of 60 minutes you may cumulate if you wait enough.

Reconite

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:28 pm »

I logged my char, went to my cave, made few pistols, some ammo, now I see my Craft timeout is > 60 minutes, so I can't do more. I can do *whatever* I want now (even sitting on workbench whistling, if that's what someone wants), except crafting, till it goes again below 60 minutes. If it go below 60 minutes, then it acts like previous  '0' value, with additional buffer of 60 minutes you may cumulate if you wait enough.

I know this, I'm still against it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.