"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 01:09:23 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Step Up And Dance With The Players  (Read 14624 times)

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Step Up And Dance With The Players
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:35:49 am »

Most of the suggestions on this board are related to specific features players want to see implemented inside the game. This one is different. It has to do with you people getting over yourselves and turning this game into something that's actually good. No more ded gaem.

1. Start making out with the community. If you're getting a slightly sexual vibe from that phrase, that's what I'm asking you to do. Start loving the PvP gangs. Don't spawn items, just talk to them - you'll be surprised how much those guys have to tell you.

2. Once you've done that, establish a devteam-community platform. You've been crying for a year or so about the lack of brainpower when it comes to developing the economy and PvP content and the lack of player input - make it happen. Allow the players to elect their officials, get them in contact with the devteam. Observe, start giving a fuck - and good shit will ensue.

3. Learn to appreciate player-created content. What is player-created content? It's the North Alliance vs Dark Alliance. It's the Cajuns. It's the VBS. It's the HAWKS. It's the Red Dot Alliance. And yes, it's the BBS. Players have been pulling other players into this game to pull them into their wars, it was awesome because while the pixels dying were on the internet the emotions were real - appreciate that, start some dialogue to make more of the same happen in the future. Create gang-specific content, an annual PvP tournament where the apes can inflate their egos in Mortal Kombat against other apes is an amazing place to start.

4. Let the crowd see the blood. I mean, everyone knows you fucked up, make it up with the community you pissed off by providing it with a few months of underground UFC-tier gladiatorial action where contestants win or die. Or better yet, find a scapegoat inside the devteam, put the whole blame on him/her and fire the asshole. Don't worry, you can pull the asshole back in in a few months once the situation is under control, just show us that you care.

5. Turn the ded gaem into a somewhat easy game. Or at the very least easygoing game. Full loot is hardcore enough to keep this game post-apo, focus on enabling people to get into PvP once they learn the ropes when it comes to the easy stuff. Make it a full-time job, not a one-time effort. It's more important than your weapon balance input, especially since you don't use those weapons to begin with.

6. Read those fucking "playing-to-win" essays from the fighting game community. Stop nerfing shit. Appreciate the fact that imbalanced PvP features create amazing and complex tactical solutions, stop knee-jerk nerfing the game into oblivion.

7. Get a fucking economist. Not a Solar, because that was a joke. I'm talking about a real dude with real education when it comes to free-market stuff. You're obviously clueless, so this will help. If you can't get an economist, get someone who enjoys reading about economy and likes games. I don't know. Get some help, for fucks sake.

8. Stop acting as if the community was hostile. We love you. If we don't, start acting as if we did - and we'll start loving you back on our own. Karma is a bitch, you've been acting as if we were your enemies the whole time, don't bring this shit back. What this means is that when you talk with other devs, you don't say "today X was an annoying fuck", you say "today Y was awesome".

So yeah. No specific game-related suggestions. Just some mindset stuff a monster amount of people would appreciate. Show us you can and show us you're more than a good-for-nothing crew that turned a flourishing server into a wasteland (the puns, they are weak today, sorry - at least I tried). Make this game into something amazing - it doesn't have to be amazing today, just show us that you care and you try.

And remember one thing. Nessies don't create the good stuff. They don't make wars that keep people on their toes and logging in when they're supposed to sleep. Nessies are the bread and butter, you should aim for the marmalade.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
Re: Step Up And Dance With The Players
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:01 am »

That's a lot of useful info for every upcoming/being under development FOnline project.

Will it influence 2238 in any way? I guess it won't.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:43 am »

just talk to them - you'll be surprised how much those guys have to tell you.

Most of it makes sense but this one made me laugh.
I can already see the /s messages.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:29:10 am »

AFAIR, the devs are making 2238 not for players, but for themselves and we're allowed to participate in this open beta.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:48 am »

AFAIR, the devs are making 2238 not for players, but for themselves and we're allowed to participate in this open beta.

I'm honored. The argument still stands.

avv

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »

4. Let the crowd see the blood. I mean, everyone knows you fucked up, make it up with the community you pissed off by providing it with a few months of underground UFC-tier gladiatorial action where contestants win or die. Or better yet, find a scapegoat inside the devteam, put the whole blame on him/her and fire the asshole. Don't worry, you can pull the asshole back in in a few months once the situation is under control, just show us that you care.

But who exactly broke and what? Besides Rotators are like any team of people. They care more about their own than the unknown people around them. As pvp gangster ape you should know this.

But furthermore, fonline has been the same game over the years more or less. Only real changes have been made around how to get stuff and how this stuff works. But it has always followed the same mechanic that hasn't been touched:
Right after wipe there's a race when pros need to gear up to do action so that they can scout and attack players inside unsafe locations. They keep jumping on players until locations are empty and the pros are so pro that they don't risk themselves unless due to charity. Only noobs and farmers visit unsafe locations and soon they learn not to do this. Slowly unsafe locations become empty and pros find no reasons to enter them. This has been since forever. Only that in the past we had more nuubs to accidentally hang around in unsafe places.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »

But who exactly broke and what? Besides Rotators are like any team of people. They care more about their own than the unknown people around them. As pvp gangster ape you should know this.

Sometimes it's necessary to make a sacrifice. The fact that people want this is just an observation, I don't even care that much. Others would. I think it's an amazing PR stunt for them to pull.

But furthermore, fonline has been the same game over the years more or less. Only real changes have been made around how to get stuff and how this stuff works. But it has always followed the same mechanic that hasn't been touched:
Right after wipe there's a race when pros need to gear up to do action so that they can scout and attack players inside unsafe locations. They keep jumping on players until locations are empty and the pros are so pro that they don't risk themselves unless due to charity. Only noobs and farmers visit unsafe locations and soon they learn not to do this. Slowly unsafe locations become empty and pros find no reasons to enter them. This has been since forever. Only that in the past we had more nuubs to accidentally hang around in unsafe places.

Would soccer remain the same after replacing the ball with a medicine ball? Probably some avv would say nothing's changed. Would people play it? Nope.

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »

Gee, Crap Boat, you are more awesome than you ever was before. Congrats.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 09:37:06 pm »

find a scapegoat inside the devteam, put the whole blame on him/her and fire the asshole. Don't worry, you can pull the asshole back in in a few months once the situation is under control, just show us that you care.

Isn't that sorta what Jovanka is?

Nice_Boat

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »

Gee, Crap Boat, you are more awesome than you ever was before. Congrats.

Gee, a dev acting like an autistic pleb, that's so refreshing and exciting. I'm certain you're going to get past the 60-player milestone by being this edgy Samira... oh wait, you're not and that's why you're so buttfurstrated and analpained all the time, barking at people who want to help you.

Seriously, are you so retarded that you respond with insults to what's objectively constructive input done in good faith? If you aren't drunk and that wasn't a simple mishap, the fact that a person like you has anything to say here is downright depressing. You're a dev and you're acting like a 10-yo kid pulling off his first troll, you really should see a shrink instead of bringing your issues here.

I mean you probably wanted to hurt my feelings, but it's really hard to take offense when your English obviously sucks to the point of being unintelligible and what was supposed to be a bitchslap turns out being some hilarious ungrammatical blabber worthy of a low-intelligence Fallout 2 character.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:05:11 pm by Nice_Boat »

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:26 pm »

Games are meant to be created, not played...
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:45 pm »

I love you nice boat.Please make this guy GM,DEV,whatever,just make him something.I am honoured to play/have played in the same server of such a person.Please forgive him,he is in a position of power.People in position of power often act like stupids.Just keep up and don't give up.Dev team should be open,developers should be eligible.This game is ours too,regardless of what they think.I m not talking about cash for running server,i m talking about blood split on battlegrounds,i m talking about deep feelings,emotion.That is ours,and nobody deserves to minimize it.A country does not belongs to his governor,it belongs to his cityzens.Fonline as a democracy would have incredible possibilities.
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34:17 pm »

Fonline as a democracy would have incredible possibilities.

I'm not so sure about that.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:22 pm »

Complete democracy would result in PvP gangs waging their wars with nerfs and buffs, which would be extremely detrimental to the game. We've had our share of such meta- bullshit and it really wasn't pretty. That doesn't mean that getting a group of player representatives together and making them start talking with the devs isn't a good idea, but the problem is it's hard to talk with a person who reacts to perceived criticism by throwing a bitch fit and doesn't understand what "obviously" means.

DeputyDope

• ǝdopʎʇndǝp
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »

Gee, a dev acting like an autistic pleb,

easy there, you might be banned! :-X :-X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 18 queries.