"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 03:12:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Step Up And Dance With The Players  (Read 14626 times)

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Re: Step Up And Dance With The Players
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 11:02:11 pm »

easy there, you might be banned! :-X :-X

It is what it is, in all honesty she should be ashamed of herself because if a standard user was acting like she acts the banhammer would smash his head in an instant. I mean she's like the Uve Boll of the indie gaming community, it's weird that nobody from the devteam told her to shut up before she embarasses the whole project even further ::)

I mean come on, it's a game that had extensive media coverage and a dev is smack talking the players around the clock with broken English... it's simply brow-raising. And it's some truly awful PR for a game that is devastated by player shortages. I'm actually curious how many people has she managed to scare away with this kind of behaviour, it's almost as if her ultimate hidden goal was to make feminists look stupid for demanding equal rights when it comes to jobs that require leadership skills and emotion control.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:04:01 pm by Nice_Boat »

DeputyDope

• ǝdopʎʇndǝp
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »

It is what it is, in all honesty she should be ashamed of herself

in all honesty, i hope it's just friday night + a lot of alcohol, although i doubt it.

jokes aside you made some good points but it's as useful as talking to rocks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:14:03 pm by DeputyDope »

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:09 pm »

Developers hardened up against players. It is just a consequence.

DeputyDope

• ǝdopʎʇndǝp
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

Developers hardened up against players. It is just a consequence.

consequence of what?
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:35:46 am »

I'm not so sure about that.
An arystocracy,fixed-A government of the best.Oldfags in every field pick up decision throu an assembly.That might work.

One thing i don't get,why there is always someone that defends devs team regardless of the situation.Other people that don't understand what *obviously* means.They have acted really,really bad,and that seem obvious.Or someone dares to say that three years ago Dev team used to act the same..?I am afraid Boat wasted his time.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:45:11 am by Rain »
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 08:11:39 am »

Hold on, aren't we all hating Jovanka this month? Haters gonna schedule the hate or else chaos will spread.

Fonline as a democracy would have incredible possibilities.
Democracy is one of the worst ideas to rule anything, even some indie computer game.

PvP gangs
These are just some weaklings, core of this game are NCR idlers and nessies, hiding in their caves. Only they seem to be still on the 2238 server, semper fidelis.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 08:30:57 am »

consequence of what?

Consequence of attacking the developers, as if they were some kind of evil dictators and not a bunch of people who just enjoy to code.

An arystocracy,fixed-A government of the best.Oldfags in every field pick up decision throu an assembly.That might work.

This meritocratic society will have to be able to code and script. And in the end, they become the boo-men of the next generation of whiners. Its inevitable.

Quote from: Rain link=topic=28909.msg250752#msg250752
One thing i don't get,why there is always someone that defends devs team regardless of the situation.Other people that don't understand what *obviously* means.They have acted really,really bad,and that seem obvious.Or someone dares to say that three years ago Dev team used to act the same..?I am afraid Boat wasted his time.

I defend them because they are the people bringing updates, not NiceBoat. And if you hate the game, why do you keep playing here and whining? Go on TLA instead. Bunch of revolutionaries, all of you, my ass.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »

Consequence of attacking the developers, as if they were some kind of evil dictators and not a bunch of people who just enjoy to code.
(...)
This meritocratic society will have to be able to code and script. And in the end, they become the boo-men of the next generation of whiners. Its inevitable.
Right, just like id software was infinitely flamed for releasing Quake, Blizzard is universally hated for WoW, Diablo 2 and Brood War, that dude from Turkey and his wife were abused for bringing us Mount and Blade etc. Not indie, you say? How about Slender, DayZ, Advanced Combat Environment, Counter-Strike or even TLA mk2? The notion that the players are always against the devs and that constant whine and hate are inevitable is nothing more than a lie that's supposed to cover up the fact that 2238 devs have made their fair share of mistakes... seeing people buy into that is just sad, because it all boils down to avoiding the problems instead of working to overcome them. Just look at this thread - it's as if Samira wasn't able to distinguish between criticizing the game and criticizing herself as a human being. She makes it personal, gets all defensive and in the end nothing gets done because she isn't able to admit there's a problem and the new updates she most probably worked on are to blame. Nobody denies she's a good scriptwriter, but it takes more than that to build a good game. Features that are bad from a design standpoint won't become good even when implemented by an expert coder.

I defend them because they are the people bringing updates, not NiceBoat. And if you hate the game, why do you keep playing here and whining? Go on TLA instead. Bunch of revolutionaries, all of you, my ass.
Most people don't like those updates and strongly feel like bringing back the old 2238 with a few improvements would be the right way to go. We also loved the game back when it was playable, even with its share of problems and we would love to see it getting back on track. How is this so hard to understand? How does being passionate about a game we helped build and balance with years of attendance and player content creation make us a bunch of whiners? Actually it's pretty understandable that people get upset, I mean the new 2238 is nothing like 2238 from 2010 and people might feel cheated out of their favorite server, especially since it's still called 2238 and not Jovanka's Hipster Adventure.

And in all honesty, I think more entertaining content was created by gang members than the new breed of devs - most of whom we remember as NCR idlers back when they were playing, which doesn't really make them any more respectable. The last war against SoT increased the number of people logging it and playing the game, while the last few updates pushed plenty of people away. Right now the core of the server population are the nessies, who by definition don't create anything for other players because their way of playing boils down to avoiding player interaction whenever possible, even if they play with a small group of friends or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:14:40 pm by Nice_Boat »

dskpnk

• The Amboy Dukes
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »

problem is i played for 4 years 2238, an the game is always the same, ok things sounds good now (i think rly few things need to be reworked) but we need new things, i try TLA, it's like a DLC for fonline came, higher lvl cap, and higher stuff, great feature (radar/auction/private farm locations etc etc...)

just bring new content, for that just read it :

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,28804.0.html
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 06:17:39 pm »

Jovanka wasn't the problem she was a symptom of it. Fonline has long suffered from GM's with terrible ideas (lexx, surf, jov) that get listened to purely because they are in the "inner circle" despite these people not know the first thing about successful game design. The rotators themselves are so divorced from the community they could be dead for a year before anyone found out. All the good suggestions get crapped on and the terrible suggestions get listened to. This is why after years the game has less content than animal crossing and honestly should just be aborted so they don't inflict poor randoms looking for a cool f2 mmo with this shit before they find out about the other servers. Jovanka's borderline trolling "changes to the game" is just what happens when the smart people don't give a shit and hand the game over to whatever no-life is dumb enough to work for free for years on a terrible project.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »

Jovanka wasn't the problem she was a symptom of it. Fonline has long suffered from GM's with terrible ideas (lexx, surf, jov) that get listened to purely because they are in the "inner circle" despite these people not know the first thing about successful game design. The rotators themselves are so divorced from the community they could be dead for a year before anyone found out. All the good suggestions get crapped on and the terrible suggestions get listened to. This is why after years the game has less content than animal crossing and honestly should just be aborted so they don't inflict poor randoms looking for a cool f2 mmo with this shit before they find out about the other servers. Jovanka's borderline trolling "changes to the game" is just what happens when the smart people don't give a shit and hand the game over to whatever no-life is dumb enough to work for free for years on a terrible project.

It's funny you mention me, because I have never had a say on any new feautures etc. neither did I want to. If two new music tracks and some minor dialogues are "ruining" the game for you, then yes, I am guilty of it. Even funnier that you mention Lexx, since he was always part of the core dev team from the very beginning.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:17 am »

Is it time for Satan's great Spring Ball again?
In any case, I guess since it's Captain Obvious thread, I could add some obvious stuff myself as well.
Nice_Boat! I see what you're saying, but, apart from number 4 (which is quite a shit thing to do and to write/say, and I'll get to it later) and number 8 (which has a "little" dent, as in, it's not if. People were hostile. The reason why however is not topic of discussion here), the things you wrote about are quite apparent (or I hope they are) to many in the team.
The problem obviously is, knowing is not doing. And from personal experience, there is a lot of hesitation(of various sorts) when it comes down to making decisions. Now from just these two sentences you can realize what is wrong.
Aand that's all for me to say on obvious part I guess. And I probably never reply here again unless something cool happens.

I hope I'm not russian this thread into any serious conversation, to make up for that I just gonna go for a ride and write few words of hmm, call it offtopic.
Just so not to write a lot of stuff I'll make this short: HF goes to Wichura, "Really?" look goes to Roachor, Willy Wonka goes to Alvarez
Now the number four. That shit is not cool. Scapegoating is the thing you don't want to do ever, unless you're mental, but then it's your problem. The reasons why are many, from the practical things like people discovering that said scapegoat is back on track to moral ones like such action being simply shit.
But you NB take cake not with this, you take it at failing number 8 yourself. Now, do I have to quote every single bullshit said only here by players or will you wake up yourself? And to prevent further brain rot on this topic of love/hate I have to add that blaming anyone here for this is too late. Devs let the players grow on forum like this, and players grew on this, that is as simple as it gets. You can blame anyone for shit and giggles, but it will not bring you anywhere.
Nevertheless it was hilarious to read when you pulled out gender issues out of the blue and start waving with them here, that doesn't mean you get bonus points for that though. Honestly, I can end it only with rhetorical question of what the fuck is wrong with you?
Kinda bad to finish this on depressing note but fuck me, I can't handle so much love floating in the air here.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
irc V_guessWho
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 03:08:17 am »

This thread is further evidence that 2238 as a game is doomed. The guy makes decent suggestions, and the dev COMPLETELY IGNORES them and proceeds to insult him for no clear reason.

Show's over here folks. Move on to TLAMK2 like everyone else is doing, and let the devs brood over "their game, not the player's" as it dies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:10:34 am by Cheesey Dean »
Knowledge is the key to the mind which is a mysterious doorway through a long dark hallway

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 04:57:20 am »

Lol.
nobody wants him so he just stares at the world
planning the vengeance that he will soon unfurl

Kill A VC For Democracy!!!!

JovankaB

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 08:05:40 am »

Scapegoating to please some angry mob? Disgusting. If you proposed this seriously, then you are a disgusting person, I'm sorry but there is no lighter way to put this. Even suggesting that anyone in the team would spend a second considering your proposal is an insult to those people. I would never want to work with anyone who thinks this way, and I must say I consider myself lucky that there are people in the team with more common sense than me. Otherwise maybe there would be such person around.

On another note, I'm sorry but for the most part you don't know shit how the game is developed, who proposes what, who implemented what. Makes you angry? Well, even as GM I had very limited knowledge about it. I think it's bad, at least GMs should know more, but it's the reality. The difference is I didn't flap my mouth spewing some nonsense shit about other people, when I didn't know shit. And I don't do it now either, because it does no good and nobody is perfect, neither am I (especially not me). Only players are perfect, right? This goes to Roachor and a couple other people too.

About player content. All content is appreciated, and there really was some content that required real effort and creativity from players, kudos to people who did that. It also gets some support from GMs if requested, if only it can be done in a fair way. Even SoT did some things, never heard about BBS, but hey - maybe you did. I don't know. But let's make something clear - just pwning other people to boost your ego and get items from box is not any "player content". Neither is making "alliance" because you are unable to pwn a bigger swarm of other players. All it is - it's just playing the friggin' game in the environment that we provided you, nothing more. Null. Don't make yourself a hero, because you play a friggin' game. You are the most effective, good for you. If not you, it will be someone else, as long as there are players around. And I'm not going to kiss anyones feet because they play a free MMO, ever, especially if they talk shit about me. Don't even try to compare it with hundreds (in case of many developers, thousands) of hours of actual *work*. If you don't see a difference between playing and working, even as a hobby - for example writing dialogs is working - in your case I think you should get the difference already.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:59:03 am by JovankaB »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.