"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 17, 2024, 04:07:06 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Character starting gear  (Read 3977 times)

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
Character starting gear
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »

Got the idea from this:
it wouldn't hurt to have a mini-barter window to customize your starting equipment right out the front gate (Example: A hunting rifle, some .22, and stimpak)
Basically when you create a character a trader will approach you and a barter window will open,in there there would be some random starter gear that the player can choose from:
1.10mm SMG
2.Hunting Rifle
3.Laser Pistol
4.Flamer
5.ammo for above
6.Low tier drugs (cigs,nuka cola,jet,alcoholic beverages,stimpak)
7.Armors (robe,leather armor,leather jacket)
8.Grenades

The player would be given 1000 starter caps,which he can spend on these items (note they will all have different values compared to other merchants for example:10mm pistol +40 ammo     300 caps,lather jacket:500 caps,nade:100 caps)

But for this to work there needs to be a new cap item that only this one trader in the starting area will take,so after this the caps will be worthless (this is just to avoid exploiting).

Anyway I thought that this would stop some newbies from rage quiting early game.

Post your ideas and opinions.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
Re: Character starting gear
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »

A darn good idea, Mike.

I would though suggest that this special trader favours collectible items like cheesy poofs/cheap romantic literature/further junk items and is willing to "equip" you with some fixed set of equipment in exchange for this "rare and precious" items, basically like distributors in events.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:20 pm »

or just have a one use key, three doors.  Each door to its corrosponding equipment package, i.e. sg, ew, bg.  newb player takes key opens door, key snaps.  player then can take the apropriate gear of one of the three rooms he has unlocked.  on his way out, a shelf has a couple caps, a few junks (enough to make brass knukles, oh dear what a coincidence) a pack of cigs, a beer and a knife.  Welcome to the wasteland.

Anthor plausable situation (these can be all incorporated if you like for variety)
three old hereos, buried on the top of "boot hill",  you with a rickity shovel (again onc use item).  Dig up the "hero" you like and get the corresponding gear that accompanied him to the grave.  in a crate by the fire, a few unsundry items to fiish off your newly acquisitions.  Have a nice life.
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:33:57 am »

Just like Arcanum, is it not? ;D

Mike Crosser

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »

Just like Arcanum, is it not? ;D
Not gonna lie,most of the idea came from there.

Mike Crosser

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:43 pm »

Shameless self bump.

Swiatowid

• Whens WIPE? ... Soon!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »

Imo lets change granages on molotovs
Guns and ammo nah better be mats to craft that its aditional xp
Caps that to much
To get armors alweys cane be done deliver cigs quest in ncr but need to be posibily to 1ch alts.  In end of it newbe cane chose robe or lather.

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:36:51 am »

This really is a good idea. Then you might have light armor, a gun, and ammo to start off sith, rather than unity flowers or some other crap (the only GOOD thing to come of my first pc encounter was loosing those damned flowers).
nobody wants him so he just stares at the world
planning the vengeance that he will soon unfurl

Kill A VC For Democracy!!!!

Mercx

• Ice Cream... Ice Cream's my weakness.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:15:22 am »

How about instead of caps, you'll give him a water for the weapons of your choice.
Here's an example dialogue:

"[You got out of the cave and see a man lying in front of you, he looks weak.]"
  • Talk to the man.
  • Ignore and keep walking [walk away]

"Ugh.... I'm too thirsty, do you happen to have some water?.."
  • I have some, here.
  • I have some, but I need this for myself. [Leave]

"[The man drinks all of the water] Thank you, you saved my life. Looks like you're a traveler."
  • Yes, I was just sheltering here because of the storm last night.
  • I don't have time for this. [Leave]

"[He looks at you carefully] The wastes is dangerous ya know. Well, since you helped me, I gotta return the favor.
You see, I have here some weapons., I can't give it to you all, but you can choose one, I could give you this leather jacket also, for free. Now which one is it?"

• 10mm Pistol
  • Hunting Rifle
  • Laser Pistol
  • Flamer

Well, just a suggestion.  ;D
- Mickhael - Brocker -

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:57 am »

Imo opinion, this is highly unnecessary. All of these things are easy to craft at start, and the resources are easy to mine. It also gives you an idea through trial and error, how to make these things.

JovankaB

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:37 am »

I think pros don't need it and newbies would lose it on a first encounter or get stolen in a safe town.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:10 am »

Imo opinion, this is highly unnecessary. All of these things are easy to craft at start, and the resources are easy to mine. It also gives you an idea through trial and error, how to make these things.

I kinda agree. I myself like the beginning of being a regular dildo scrounging whatever he can to get the first gun.

The mining is a drag, though. If we really have to have this depletion stuff, why not making a player thing instead of a global thing? I mean that you wouldn't come to a quarry and have it all depleted, but always being able to mine some resources but not a shitload at once and you'd have to return in a while (if the whole restriction thing is even necessary at all).

OR have it like crafting - unlimited resources in the quarry, but you'd only be able to mine some, then you'd be 'tired' and have to rest a bit <- that makes much more sense than respawning ores

Mercx

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:35 am »

Easy, cause you know the "in's and out's" of the game.
And admit it, looking for flint, making it to a P. Tool, looking for a tree to chop woods, mining some ore, carrying them all the way to a workbench near a town nearby to craft a gun is a long work though it's like a couple of minutes, for beginners at the game, it's lame. And after that what? You're gonna get killed by some trolls who wants to kill bluesuits?
That's one of the main reason of ragequit. (I'm not mad at those PK'ers though :P)

And now since you said that, I think, having a tutorial text will be cool.
- Mickhael - Brocker -

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:27:50 am »

While I certainly admit that all the early scaving can be a pain, there are a bunch of starting quests that get you this gear as well, if you don't want to piss around with it right away. And to a certain extent, there is a tutorial via the wiki, which many of us are striving to keep updated. It can be a lot to take in as a new player, but I still find the learning curve to be rather steep, being a semi-experienced player.

Also any new player who is "lucky" enough to bump into me gets more hunting rifles than he would ever use. :D

But, the Tent in the Wastes is exactly this suggestion imo, while preserving the "harshness" of the Wasteland.

Mercx

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:55 am »

I bumped on you but I didn't get any rifles from yah? (I'm new)  ;D
Anyways, you got a point but giving a starters some equipment won't hurt other players and it will be a big help to new players.
- Mickhael - Brocker -
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 30 queries.