"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:53:20 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New ways of getting resources  (Read 2002 times)

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
New ways of getting resources
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:56:35 pm »

Extracted from this thread. Basically the idea is to be able to get a good amount of resources using PvE or even PvP five-drugged ape characters, instead of superminer alts. This would imho make the game more confortable and increase immersion.

A bit of thinking about getting resources (ignoring current gathering/mining system):

Quest - Protect farmers to get fruit/fibers/tobacco. Guard mines to get ore/minerals. Protect a group of scavengers to get junk. The resources are sent to the player's tent (which reminds me of the suggestion to start with a tent) or to a base if a team of characters from the same faction come to the mine/fields/scavenging area.

The character(s) get the ad hoc location on their map and have to travel there to defeat enemies and protect NPCs. This way loners' rewards are not mixed with factions'. This brings up a question: what if a group of characters from different factions and/or loners come in a group and get the quest? (for example during TLL activities) - the reward goes to the leader's tent? it get divided into each guy's tent?

The reward should not depend on party size (which would be abusable) but on difficulty levels: there a lot of creatures in the wasteland that could be put in different levels of difficulty: ants, manti, dogs, (giant/pig/mole)rats, geckos, centaurs, floaters, aliens, deathclaws, also tribals, raiders and supermutants. The enemies could depend on location and game lore (wanamingos in Redding, geckos in Klamath, deathclaws in the Boneyard...)

Think about the quest Dogs of L.A. as a references. Just imagine you also gotta protect salvagers NPCs while doing it, and maybe even you get a little bonus for every friendly NPC that survives?

Buying and caravan protection - Talk to a NPC in the location (for example the guy who sells private mines) and buy resources via dialogue (fixed amounts with fixed prices so no Barter alt is used). The resources are yours now but you gotta protect them until they reach your tent or base. There could be different levels of difficulty here as well, so a caravan transporting a smaller amount of resources would not be an attractive prey for raiders, so you just gotta kill some rats you find on your way, while a bigger caravan might be attacked by Khans or remnants of the Master's army. This mode would probably be mostly for factions with a lot of caps.

Protecting mines - This mode does contemplate the current mining system: players go to an unprotected mine and get payed for protecting it. The player should stay in the area for a given time to get minimum (low) reward and get bonus for every unit of resource that exits the map (can't depend on the number of characters that go out alive as that would be abusable). If the character dies before the "protecting mine" cooldown is over, they get no reward. The reward could be in resources or caps (player's choice) and quite attractive so that pr0s got a reason to protect these locations for noobs/lowlevels.

An alternative could be that the reward is fixed but gets reduced according to how many deaths take place in that mine/place (btw remember this protection activity would be possible in new "farm" and "scavenging area" locations for fruits, fibers, tobacco, junk...) - that way the reward would be higher if the area's ground does not get covered with blood.

Or it could be also a balance between number of deaths & number of resources that exit the location.

I've come to the conclusion that even if these features were implemented, the current mining and gathering system shouldn't be completely scrapped because it's positive that a noob who has just created their first character is able to mine a few rocks with a sledgehammer and craft a gun and ammo from them. If the current system was combined with something like what I suggested, total noobs could mine just like it's done now while more advanced players could get more resources with their rather combat oriented characters. There would be almost 0 need to create a boring miner alt and, especially with the last suggestion, the activities of noobs (mining) and those of pr0s (pvp aping) could be complementing each other. Superminer alts would only be useful for going from "noob" to "pr0" more quickly (getting some resources faster to craft one's first farming gear) but would become useless afterwards because a farmer or PvP character would give better results: more activities with the same characters -> less alting.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:18:26 am by Eternauta »

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
Re: New ways of getting resources
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:57:02 pm »

With the last update, we are now able to name not only our bases but also our tents. Maybe we could select via dialogue, which tent or base our new resources will be taken to.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:08:16 pm »

Protecting the mine would be good, but it should also take kiling of characters with sledgehammer into account.
Otherwise, some would be tempted to protecting their friend (emptying the mine) while killing unknown miners.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »

Protecting the mine would be good, but it should also take kiling of characters with sledgehammer into account.
Otherwise, some would be tempted to protecting their friend (emptying the mine) while killing unknown miners.

Protecting mines - This mode does contemplate the current mining system: players go to an unprotected mine and get payed for protecting it. The player should stay in the area for a given time to get minimum (low) reward and get bonus for every unit of resource that exits the map (can't depend on the number of characters that go out alive as that would be abusable). If the character dies before the "protecting mine" cooldown is over, they get no reward. The reward could be in resources or caps (player's choice) and quite attractive so that pr0s got a reason to protect these locations for noobs/lowlevels.

Getting payed for every unit of resource that exits the map means it's better to make the area safe for as much people as possible, not just your friend. If some random unknow miner comes, mines 10 ores and runs out, you get payed for that too.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:46:21 pm »

It sounds very nice, much players will love to guards caravans or farmers like in fallout 2. I will really enjoy that.

+1
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:07:09 am »

'Protecting mines - This mode does contemplate the current mining system: players go to an unprotected mine and get payed for protecting it. The player should stay in the area for a given time to get minimum (low) reward and get bonus for every unit of resource that exits the map (can't depend on the number of characters that go out alive as that would be abusable). If the character dies before the "protecting mine" cooldown is over, they get no reward. The reward could be in resources or caps (player's choice) and quite attractive so that pr0s got a reason to protect these locations for noobs/lowlevels.'

And what will be the risk then ? Who will be the enemies ?
Asides from that, why would anyone pay mercenaries to protect looters while they plunder valuable ressources , just to maintain some order in a desolate place? It would make more sense if somebody would be hired to massacre them and keep them out instead.

Horrible Idea, reeking full of APK ideology. Please more suggestions that turns the game into a carebearfest, since we have so few!
http://i48.tinypic.com/n3kv0y.jpg
IT. IS. A. GAME.
*geez* ::)
Its supposed to be fun, which includes a friendly and helpful community of players.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:28:57 am »

If "mine protection" is implemented, you'll see more heavily armed guys in mines. You would be able to to mines and kill miners for resources and "APK carebears" for gear.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:27:16 am »

If "mine protection" is implemented, you'll see more heavily armed guys in mines. You would be able to to mines and kill miners for resources and "APK carebears" for gear.

If it pays off so well that more "heavily armed guys" camp around there, why should I bother going there with a high chance that I will face >3 guys there, meeting guaranteed death for the promise of some petty loot ? I'd rather join the campers for no risk, since nobody is so dumb trying on "heavily armed guys" for no efficient yield on victory, and play "APK" myself . I can do that well ! "YOU'RE RED LISTED !!! YOO HARR PK!" *shoots random person*.

Or I would simply guard my multi logs, reap the mats AND the rewards. Either way a great enhancement of atmosphere and game experience.
IT. IS. A. GAME.
Its supposed to be fun, which includes a friendly and helpful community of players.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:01:14 am »

Server population varies depending on the time it is. The situation in those mines would not be the same 24/7. According to the specific situation in every particular case, it'd be better to do one thing or the other. It's up to you and your style of playing.

You say APK are like this
"YOU'RE RED LISTED !!! YOO HARR PK!" *shoots random person*.
But you had just said
Horrible Idea, reeking full of APK ideology. Please more suggestions that turns the game into a carebearfest...
So make up your mind before posting. And I also recommend changing your general attitude. This is just a game, man, so you should chill a bit.

If you disagree with the suggestion, just try to share your arguments in a way that doesn't make you look like an unbearably annoyinf guy.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »

You say APK are like thisBut you had just saidSo make up your mind before posting. And I also recommend changing your general attitude. This is just a game, man, so you should chill a bit.

If you disagree with the suggestion, just try to share your arguments in a way that doesn't make you look like an unbearably annoyinf guy.

Wat.  Stop dodging my questions with polemics and tell me how you planned to work around those problems, this ain't kindergarten.
 Your "time dependence" argument is valid but not really significant. I'd still rather camp then raid. Look I say nothing against your other suggestions, they are quite fine, but this stinks like full blown APK ideology concealed as "an alternative to mining". And I don't like when people sneak/force their intentions/ideas into the game, like people akin to AVV forced "AVENGERS ONLEY 4BALANCE!!!" into PvP.
I don't hide PK intentions in my suggestion either without adding some counterpart, so why don't you ?

Don't get hurted by my perception of APKs, that's just how most of your fellow comrades tick, at least the majority of whom I've encountered during the last 2-3 years. It was meant sarcastically, I made my mind up long ago, but thanx for the life lesson. Another trait of your fellow tea club, teaching people where it isn't needed. No need to get all bubu and tearful.

tl; dr  : Give me a good reason to raid that mine while it's being protected or It will be just another "Idle for free ressources without opposition while shooting people you don't like".
IT. IS. A. GAME.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »

Eternauta>>
For now, a mine can be emptied pretty quickly.
I protect the mine, kill random miners.
My buddies empty the mine in less than twenty minutes.
So i can keep killing random miners, as they won't get ressources anyway (mine depleted)
At the end of the timer, i get reward, without having done anything but protecting my friends and killing the others.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »

Eternauta>>
For now, a mine can be emptied pretty quickly.
I protect the mine, kill random miners.
My buddies empty the mine in less than twenty minutes.
So i can keep killing random miners, as they won't get ressources anyway (mine depleted)
At the end of the timer, i get reward, without having done anything but protecting my friends and killing the others

You are right. An alternative could be that the reward is fixed but gets reduced according to how many deaths take place in that mine/place (btw remember this protection activity would be possible in new "farm" and "scavenging area" locations for fruits, fibers, tobacco, junk...) - that way the reward would be higher if the area's ground does not get covered with blood.

This would probably attract PvPers into these locations: they detect an enemy gang "camping" for resources, so they go and try to fuck up their reward.

Or it could be also a balance between number of deaths & number of resources that exit the location.

But yeah, you're right that my original suggestion had flaws.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »

I think several of these ideas are fantastic, but I (for the first time ever, I think) have to sort of agree with Vile about the mine protection. It is just more conducive to bring some miners and hitting up the mine yourself. But with that, I really love the creation of a large scale caravan for the transportation of resources would be a fantastic risk/reward scenario. I have often thought there should be large, purchasable quantities of ores and the like, but transportation would have always been a factor in that suggestion, and this makes it an "outsourced" protection "quest". I like it, i like it a lot.

On the protection of farmers and the like, maybe expand that to following your homesteader friends out into the wastes and protecting them. This would allocate those gathered resources to you in a more "realistic" fashion, and make it kind of a later, more experienced player ordeal.

Aside from that, I'd love to see these all implemented in one fashion or another. I think it would lead to much more "purposeful" grinding.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.