"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 04:11:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-com Terror From the Deep - Is that thing beatable?  (Read 8518 times)

X-com Terror From the Deep - Is that thing beatable?
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:43 am »

I'm playing on hardest difficulty as usual but there's a problem... The game is impossible compared to UFO defense.

There's millions of alien bases all over the globe and a terror site almost everytime I skip-foward.

If you have the game and beated it on highest difficulty please tell me wtf I have to do to keep all those aliens colonies at an acceptable amount.

I expected the game to be much harder than UFO or enemy unknown but damn...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:27:25 am by Brujah »
Re: X-com Terror From the Deep - Is that thing beatable?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:28 am »

pew pew pew laser, can you stream it?
We’ve died a million times but we are not the walking dead
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:52 am »

pew pew pew laser, can you stream it?

Maybe once I stop sucking at it.

It's the exact same game as UFO and at the same time it's not.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:58 am »

Yes done it several times including ironman mode.
It has some issues making it seemingly harder than it is (for example you can just straight ignore gauss weapons as you will salvage at least sonic pistol on first successful mission against gillmen or aquanoids, which do not require gauss things at all. Liner missions can be just aborted at the start, it's not huge penalty to recover from, and the game is far easier if you don't sit down doing nothing) and some research bugs prevents you from completing it.

If you start using grenades and scout/snipers stuff becomes far easier. You cannot deal with things 100% safe, especially tentaculats, but hey you hardly run into a problem that you cannot recover from and if you really have to, reloading is option as well.

I remember some videos on youtube doing fast run on superhuman and also giving out some very nice tips, you can have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qdL0cysiBU&list=PL49B325C3F2B472EA

OT: I really hope the EU reboot is going to be followed with TFTD sequel or DLC/Xpac. There is painful lack of good lovecraftian games, especially those set underwater.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:13 am »

I prefer gauss because it works underwater and on the surface, I don't like keeping huge stacks of items here and there just for different situations.

I keep an underwater tank or two but only because aliens are much more sneaky with all that coral for them to hide into.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:16 pm »

With gauss you will still not oneshot harder opponents, and it seems to be quite overkill on easy ones. The advantage of sonic weapons (particularly pistol and pulser) is much better power and accuracy allowing you to take tasoths and even lobstermen more safely (though later are best to be killed with a drill or stunned). In either case you will be equipping your soldiers with about 1-3 extra clips depending on mission. Extra clip size on gauss weapons is going to be depleted fast with automatic fire :d.

There is nothing wrong with tank. As always it makes the best available scout saving your dudes for merely cash and engineering costs. The hardest thing with your dudes to get over is the fact that slowpoke weakling can actually be 100 PSI guy that can control nearly any alien you will ever face, so I never like to lose soldiers, even if they have nearly useless stats.
"This is your forum."
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:19:19 am »

With gauss you will still not oneshot harder opponents, and it seems to be quite overkill on easy ones. The advantage of sonic weapons (particularly pistol and pulser) is much better power and accuracy allowing you to take tasoths and even lobstermen more safely (though later are best to be killed with a drill or stunned). In either case you will be equipping your soldiers with about 1-3 extra clips depending on mission. Extra clip size on gauss weapons is going to be depleted fast with automatic fire :d.

There is nothing wrong with tank. As always it makes the best available scout saving your dudes for merely cash and engineering costs. The hardest thing with your dudes to get over is the fact that slowpoke weakling can actually be 100 PSI guy that can control nearly any alien you will ever face, so I never like to lose soldiers, even if they have nearly useless stats.

Ye gauss is innacurate as hell.

But no other gun works in the surface as far as I know.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:54 am »

after watching youtube videos of this game I really want to play it.  :D .
Roaming the waste again.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:31 am »

TftD was much harder because of the damn corals and alien bases were a nightmare. While the Heavy weapons crew doesn't work quite as well (as in enemy unknown), as corals don't blow up quite as well as buildings for LoS/LoF purposes.

The scout/sniper team works quite effective still in TFtD- snipers take up position (near troop carrier), and kneel and stay in position until a better position is needed to cover the scouts. The scouts sweep the map, if alien discovered the kneeling sniper takes him out. Scouts also end turn in kneeling position (try not to get your scouts killed- once you get to +60 reaction stats and good Time units you'l be doing just as much damage during alien turns with reaction fire).  If you use one scout paired with a sniper only move scout about 2 squares each turn then end turn kneeling (this improves reaction fire as reaction fire= time units X reaction stat). Better system is to pair two Scouts together with one sniper covering (one is resting scout and they alternate each turn). In this case you can move the first scout 6 squares forward and then 3 squares backward (if alien not discovered), just make sure you end up next to the resting scout after moving backwards 3 squares; the resting scout will still have all his time units. This way the alien will have to move atleast 3 squares to get to your scouts- this means the resting scout will get a chance to react fire.

Use a grenadier- prime grenades in early part of mission and then throw them to your buddies to pick up and use on the front (aka grenade relay). Also allocate one 'squadie' to be 'Ammo mule'- he carries all the rockets/extra grenades etc.

When choosing roles- any one with reaction stat of >50 should be scout; firing accuracy of >60 should be sniper; heavy weapons need >60 and strength >40; grenadier aim reaction stat >50 (if you want to use him in front lines; otherwise not needed as he can stay at rear and use grenade relay), and reasonable strength stat >40, Ammo mule strength >40.

Another tip is to use smoke grenade or what ever they are called in TFtD ( I preferred ufo enemy unknown), prior to deploying from the troop carrier (Triton from memory I think it was called :P). You then deploy on turn 2 under smoke cover. Saves your guys from getting hit in the head after taking one step outside troop carrier. This is because during first turn the Aliens (who haven't moved yet), will have max time units so expect high reaction fire.

Also everyone should act as medic (equip every team member with a medical kit).

Also don't reload after taking casualties. The games is more exiting this way.  ;D

after watching youtube videos of this game I really want to play it.  :D .
Play UFO enemy unknown- it is much better than TftD. Works well in Dos Box 0.74. Just patch it to version 1.4. Also get "xcom utils" it adds quite a numbers of things and improves several weapons. For example the heavy laser is not shit anymore. And 'High explosives' can now breach UFO walls- this opens up a whole new tactical aspect to the game as you don't need to take the doors which are usually camped by Aliens ready to react fire etc...
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:04 am »

I agree enemy unknown was a lot more fun.

Also, if you have a hacked PSP, you can play it on that :D

I went searching for some nostalgic UFO vids, when I came across <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZsye4n684" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZsye4n684</a>. They made a new version! Looks shitty and far less scary than the old version, but still; might be fun.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »

IIRC only Torpedo and Hydro-Jet are underwater only, everything else is perfectly fine everywhere(you know the aliens are shooting at you with their guns as well :d), not sure about DPL, but by the time it appears, you will not see much of those open missions.

Bad thing about smoke grenade is the stun damage it does if you don't have power armor, and TFTD version is pitifully nerfed. Better way to avoid getting shot immediately is just to end turn and let aliens spend their TUs :d. You got those doors there so you are pretty much safe during their moves.

Play UFO enemy unknown- it is much better than TftD. Works well in Dos Box 0.74. Just patch it to version 1.4. Also get "xcom utils" it adds quite a numbers of things and improves several weapons. For example the heavy laser is not shit anymore. And 'High explosives' can now breach UFO walls- this opens up a whole new tactical aspect to the game as you don't need to take the doors which are usually camped by Aliens ready to react fire etc...
I disagree, both games are equally awesome. And xcomutil is kinda old, Xcom extender is the shit now.
(http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76), but I like more xcomutil version of Heavy Laser (basically heavy plasma without auto, but a very bit more damage, making it also the ultimate weapon against sectopods)
"This is your forum."

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »

Thanx Johnnybravo,

I set up UFO Enemy Unknown CE edition with the extender.
The HQ4x makes game look better than DOS version + there is option for widescreen monitor (which is nicer overall look).
The extended is like modding tool- I already modded the heavy laser to be like xcom utils so no lost there.
I also like the ability the extender brings to arrange troop position on Skyranger and the extra info in equipment screen.
Only gripe I have is with music. The original XCOM music was much better; have to play around with is to see if I can get it back.

I think I am going to have to have another play through...

Thanx again mate :)

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 01:50:45 am »

Well if anything fails, there are guys working on open xcom as well, which is new engine for old data. It's already kinda viable, but can't tell at the moment if it will ever reach state of remakes like Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).

It's just kinda sad that it does not allow to mess up with armors ( I believe the game will assign armor stats automatically from equipped armor, without any external table lookup ). I'd love to try original XCom with TFTD style fights (More resilient soldiers, less fire rate, but also tougher and more dangerous foes).

EDIT: Now I remember kinda important thing. Not sure if only mine problem, but the game was a bit more prone to crash at the start of mission. Saving before sending skyranger made everything OK. Might be just music thing or some corruption, but better keep it in mind if it appears.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:54:34 am by Johnnybravo »
"This is your forum."
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:19 am »

Started a new playthrough, this time on veteran difficulty so I don't get mauled and eatten alive again.

Skipped gauss technology, went straight to blasto sonic rifle, working very nice so far.

Still gotta research gauss so I can manufacture gauss cannons though.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:24 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyzVA8Z9xI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyzVA8Z9xI</a>

Found this fairly close to original geoscape track:
modded it in and it works fine :)
that's more like it; the track really gets going at 5:08 min mark; very similar to original with a touch of neo :)

edit: no crashes yet, albeit the extender got a recent update just few weeks ago it seems- so that could've fixed the bugs :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:15:27 am by AdolphbinStalin »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.