"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 04:10:35 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-com Terror From the Deep - Is that thing beatable?  (Read 8517 times)

Re: X-com Terror From the Deep - Is that thing beatable?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »

So now I have a really big problem...

I'm doing an Alien base and basically I don't know where to "find" the last aliens.

This is the first base ever built in geoscape "Alien Base 01", outside had aquatoids and taloth (aren't these supposed to appear only mid-game?) and inside had those lobsterman and their chrysalid-like brains.

I explored the entire map and killed "all" lobsterman, yet the remaining ones don't show up anymore (turn 130 right now).

They simply pop out of nowhere whenever my characters move to an specific place, they're basically SD sneaking my soldiers and they don't seem to stop coming (killed around 32 so far in both base maps).

And I'm pretty sure they are just randomly spawning in front of my soldiers, some of them just appeared right in front of them right at the direction they were facing in the first place.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:58:52 pm »

Destroy the synomyum device in the command room.
Then make you way back to the exit grid and abort once all xcom operatives on exit squares. The mission will be a success and alien base eliminated.
The only disadvantage with this option is that you only salvage the stuff you are carrying.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »

I see no device.

I explored the entire map, something tells me these lobsterman appearing out of nowhere are bugged as well and that mission can't be completed.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:50 am »

TftD was full of bugs in fact it was unfinishable at the time of release due to game destroying bugs. But I remember being able to do base missions.

I mainly destroyed synomyum device in the command room; unlike UFO EU, in TftD the alien bases were huge and the base set up was a tactical nightmare. From memory the control room was found in the middle of the base and it also had an upper level; this is where the device is; and the device might take a few hits to destroy. Once you destroy the device you still have to make your way to exit grid, if you abort right away you will loose the mission and your team.

Maybe also try searching for any bug fixing patches before playing, the stand alone game was broken and unfinishable.

edit: found some pics to help out...

look for this (command room), and take elevator (blue  circles), to go upper level.

upper level looks like above pic. the Syn device is the circular thing (upper left on screen)... Destroy it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:17:45 am by AdolphbinStalin »
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 02:27:06 am »

Hmm I can't download UFO extender... The mod file is just a patch and not the mod itself: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Image:UFOLoader.zip

Where can I find the actual mod?

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »

To my knowledge UFO extender is only for the collectors edition/gold edition of UFO Enemy Unknown/Base Defense.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 04:31:52 pm »

There is TFTD extender as well, last time I tried it was not all that bad (though OBDATA mods worked only in ufopedia and not in battlescape :d).

By the way that screenshot is artifact site, base missions are even more horrible. It's basically 3 store mess of small rooms. On the bottom floor there is command room but it's hard to see it. It should be in the center of map roughly.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 12:11:28 am »

I got the collector's edition and downloaded the UFO extender thing.

However, whenever I try to run UFOloader.exe it stops working, and even if I do manage to launch the game the screen is extremely shrinked to a point where it's completely unplayable.

Can anyone with this mod help me?

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »

However, whenever I try to run UFOloader.exe it stops working, and even if I do manage to launch the game the screen is extremely shrinked to a point where it's completely unplayable.

I only have ufo enemy unknown\Base defense installed so I am assuming you are running UFO Enemy Unknown/Base defense, I doubt this will work for TFTD.
The latest extender is version 1.28.3.
However, you must first apply 1.28, 1.28.2 and then finally apply 1.28.3 (at least that's how I got it working).
There should then be an exe called "dos.exe" in your directory (you can rename it to whatever you want, *note: its not dos version at all), run dos exe to run the game after applying the extender. Now use the "extender.ini" to able/disable options/fixes/mods/video options etc. you can even add you own lines to change things.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 10:07:11 pm »

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TFTDextender this is for TFTD

Edit: And beware there is huge creepy cthulu picture on that page :d.
Specifically you need both loader and patcher:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/images/archive/9/9c/20120924101714%21TFTDextender.zip
http://www.ufopaedia.org/images/9/9c/TFTDextender.zip
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:15:10 pm by Johnnybravo »
"This is your forum."
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:28 pm »

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TFTDextender this is for TFTD

Edit: And beware there is huge creepy cthulu picture on that page :d.
Specifically you need both loader and patcher:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/images/archive/9/9c/20120924101714%21TFTDextender.zip
http://www.ufopaedia.org/images/9/9c/TFTDextender.zip

Nah I meant extender for UFO defense, TFTD maps are way too huge, it would take forever to finish that game.

It's pretty cool now, the heavy laser is still a bit useless because the shots suck up energy but at least it's useable now.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 11:21:40 am »

I think the landscape is better in defense. In TFTD all you get is corals (which makes for a very boring landscape IMO + most of the maps from memory looked identical).

Also I suggest when you do your map sweep don't sweep buildings room by room, instead use your heavy gunners (rocket launchers to flatten any buildings); much safer method.

Use 3 man teams (i.e x2 scouts working together covered by x1 sniper). I prefer 14 men crew (6 scouts, 3 snipers, x2 heavy weapons, x1 grenadier, x1 ammo mule, x1 officer)

Each 3 man team uses x2 scouts to leap frog each other with one being resting scout while both are covered by the third man- a sniper.  Basically when sweeping the map you want to move(the resting scout), only 1-2 squares (you'll be able to do more as TU's improve), forward then kneel (this will leave most of time units free for reaction fire); the 2nd scout might move 8 squares forward (if an alien is not discovered), then move 8 squares back and kneel (so he ends up next to resting scout). This way any alien not discovered will in most cases need to move at least 8 squares to get line of sight on the scouts which means the resting scout will usually react fire( particularly as TU's approach 80 and reaction stats approach 60+; you will always react fire). This system dramatically reduces casualties. I am currently at month of April and most of my scouts have reaction stat over 70 now (i think my weakest scout has about 62), and the aliens pretty much cannot get near us due to reaction fire.

If you apply the mod in the .ini -Heavy explosives can also now breach ufo walls so take advantage of this. They are also good to clear buildings. They can be thrown like grenades but are much better. So make use of your Grenadier. HEs are much heavier than grenades so make sure your grenadier has a good starting strength (+40) stat- so he can actually throw the damn thing. as his strength improves he will become very valuable.

*NOTE: if you want you can improve  damage of heavy laser by typing following command into extender .ini under OBDATA (I set my value to 120 but you can use lower value because  I am finding 120 is a bit OP)

Heavy Laser Damage=120

Remember that with heavy laser you can target up to x3 aliens at once if you use burst mode; so make use of this method. It will take up most of your TU's but since snipers spend most of time stationary in kneeling once a good position (whereby the sniper can cover his scouts as they sweep the map), is found it doesn't matter much.

TIPS:
1. Use smoke grenade and deploy it on ground in front of Skyranger latch door. You actually move out of Skyranger on turn 2 under smoke protection; this method prevents aliens from throwing grenades as your first guy leaves the Skyranger or gets shot right in the head by an unseen alien just outside Skyranger. Albeit keep it mind any aliens detected/seen while you're still in the Skyranger (before having a chance to deploy),should be shot immediately.   

2. The two guys at the back of the Skyranger can actually look through pilots cockpit windows if you turn them around; this way you can see whats behind the skyranger prior to deploying your guys.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:46:20 am by AdolphbinStalin »

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

Xcomutil sets Heavy Laser to 120, gives it Heavy Plasma accuracy and makes aimed mode somewhat more reasonable fast.
Machinegun thing is a mod you can toggle off, and I've found it best for environment destruction.

To be honest I'm not sure what mod is better. One makes it unique thing, but not really comfortable to use and perhaps too random compared to explosives. Other one makes it great weapon for experienced soldiers.

Oh and those corals are relevant only to recovery missions, artifact sites, bases or terror missions have none of them. I think that port terror mission is the best map in both games.

If you apply the mod in the .ini -Heavy explosives can also now breach ufo walls so take advantage of this.
I wouldn't do this. Unlike Heavy Laser, those explosives are already very useful. No need to make them THAT powerful.
"This is your forum."

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »

I just find it adds more options/tactics being able to breach ufo walls with heavy explosives. This means you can storm the UFOs from multiple sides at once- often surprising the aliens since they like to camp the doors :P
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.