"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 08:44:38 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: TC, lets flesh this out.  (Read 19390 times)

Re: TC, lets flesh this out.
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:17 am »

This looks like an improvement.

"Old windows" doesn't sound good, though. With old windows, there was like 1 hour action in every northern town per 24h. You could also forget about some towns completely because their windows appeared at some strange hours, what made things even worse with various people being in different time zones.
For now TC windows must be implemented as soon as possible to cure TC, because it is easy and fast to implement, and after it can be developed some new concept.

maszrum

• Soldiers of Thunderstorm
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:42 am »

msh aproves!
tc windows is good solution for organised gang fights, everday. dont know why that was removed on first place.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:24 am »

Yeah, I've confused the issue by calling them windows. I mean the 15 minute counter to take the town, like last season, not the old windows system.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 10:25:26 am »

Yeah, I've confused the issue by calling them windows. I mean the 15 minute counter to take the town, like last season, not the old windows system.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:33:20 am by Skycast »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »

I'm guessing thats a picture, which is blocked at work :P

Anyway, anymore thoughts on this before I go and pester scripters to do stuff?

Pedopander

• Trolling de geso~
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »

Yes. Everyone wants the old window time system to return to the game, however, the way I see it, everytime a faction takes town, it's locked for, let's say 4 hours, during which the town cannot be taken over by a different gang. The reason for this is to mitigate the timezone difference and in the end have more players participate in TC at any given time of the day.

Also, every faction member should get a warning if an enemy gang enter a town under their management(if they meet the influence requirement, that is) with a group of five or more people(that's the minimum to start the countdown, no?).

And please, for God's sake, do something with this darn mass fast relogging issue. Jovanka had a pretty good idea with a weakened state after logging into the game, though it could be easily bypassed with additional clients, however, what if...

Team A controls the town,
Team B comes over, starts the countdown
Team A and C are ready to enter the town from the world map
Team A comes in with full force, town is locked for the rest of the countdown or until either of the forces emerges victorious, whichever comes first
Team C misses the opportunity to enter the town, can't participate in the battle
Team B wins over Team A, successfully wiping out the majority of the force(less than five men survive)
Team C, seeing as the town is unlocked, joins the fight and locks it once more
Team C wins the fight and starts their own countdown

Even though it might look complicated, it's not and does not require much work on your part.

PS: Give mercs some kind of three, five second cooldown on attacking upon entering any map, it'll work miracles.
You have received a warning due to the fact of deliberately breaching the Internet etiquette of the Fonline 2238 community, posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to bait or excite users into responding or to test the forum rules (...)

avv

« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:41 pm »

One thing: once gang has the town, does it get rewards from the time it doesn't spend inside the town?
In previous wipe this was an issue for following reasons:
When a gang gets rewards in tc locker when it's not actually present it encourages them to simply leave the town after capture because there's no reason to stay inside. Rewards keep coming anyway.
In addition it was annoying when enemy captured when you weren't around so you lost the rewards from entire night.

If locker doesn't generate rewards when nobody is inside it's better for everyone. Gangs don't get annoyed for losing rewards from off-timezone captures but they don't either get free stuff from doing nothing.

Yes. Everyone wants the old window time system to return to the game, however, the way I see it, everytime a faction takes town, it's locked for, let's say 4 hours, during which the town cannot be taken over by a different gang. The reason for this is to mitigate the timezone difference and in the end have more players participate in TC at any given time of the day.

No locking please. Sometimes we have situations where a gang simply cannot gather its troops in 15 mins and stop the capture even though they could smash them no problem. So if a gang manages to do fast cap in 15 mins, they get the town for 4 hours. Not good. Players must be able to capture when they want if they have the troops.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:20 pm »

how about this.
use old 15 min timer to take town.
influence only goes up for capturers of town. influence only affects the rewards. 1 influ every 10 min or repeat able quest. max influ of 50. 25 influ = 1.5 times normal 50 is double. influ is reset when a faction loses town. max 15 millita all with mid tier gear no useless spear and unarmed millita. millita help owers of town no matter what unless they are attack npcs then millita attacks them.   
Roaming the waste again.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:03 pm »

@Pedopander - Massive, backstabbing, multifaction skirmishes I enjoy the most, because even a weak gang can turn the tide of the battle.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »

One thing: once gang has the town, does it get rewards from the time it doesn't spend inside the town?
In previous wipe this was an issue for following reasons:
When a gang gets rewards in tc locker when it's not actually present it encourages them to simply leave the town after capture because there's no reason to stay inside. Rewards keep coming anyway.
In addition it was annoying when enemy captured when you weren't around so you lost the rewards from entire night.

I hardly call that an issue and i doubt there is any other efficient solution without changing the reward gain to some kind of ultimate grind where you just do some scripted objectives to repair generators forever and what not , i don't believe that would be better forcing players to work more than needed , like being ready to defend the city all day long isn't enough and winning countless battles to hold the city throughout the day ? I wouldn't call that no effort , of course if nobody competes for the city and then raises concerns about rewards from TC being to easy to obtain for someone , that's a different story witch is common for many factions and players who raises those concerns.

So to get rewards from TC locker now , you need someone in the city that leads to some afk characters in dark corners of the map. What's the point ? I think receiving reward from TC locker is acceptable when not being present , for starters reduce the amount of reward received when not being present , might as well implement those objectives or some kind of activities that increases locker reward , but i certainly don't want to see it as the only option.

Both is the answer. If someone wants to do activities in city , they will be rewarded better because they actually do something more than awaiting enemies to arrive but at the same time they receive the TC reward for not being present either but at a much reduced rate , this makes sense.

bahh this post is kinda messy , hope you understand the point.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:32:25 pm by T-888 »

avv

« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:36 pm »

So to get rewards from TC locker now , you need someone in the city that leads to some afk characters in dark corners of the map. What's the point ? I think receiving reward from TC locker is acceptable when not being present , for starters reduce the amount of reward received when not being present , might as well implement those objectives or some kind of activities that increases locker reward , but i certainly don't want to see it as the only option.

This is plausible. In addition the rewards must not increase over time. It's just matter of time before some Brazilians capture the town which you held for three weeks for massive rewards.

Rewards from not being present should be pretty minor. It's free stuff. You risked 15 mins for it. If you want more, risk more.

The real stuff should be received from activities and being present in town. And by real stuff I mean real stuff: avengers, gatling lasers, BAs, top drugs. Towns need to be the places to be at, not some distant encounters and caves in the middle of nowhere. These activities need to put players in bad position and vulnerable to attacks but the rewards should also reflect that.
We grind already so much. Grinding in towns is just better because there is a chance to meet players. You can't grind players.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »

You'd be getting rewards in exactly the same way as last season.

avv

« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »

You'd be getting rewards in exactly the same way as last season.

You believe it's for the best? Cap town, go to worldmap. Don't enter unless theres enemy or if you want to empty the tc box. Keep it for 5 weeks in row and get massive rewards due to increasing ratio. But only because nobody bothered to cap the town.

It's not that bad, but it'd be good for gameplay if we could do stuff in towns to increase the rewards. I'd rather grind inside my own town than somewhere invisible.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:59 pm »

Yes, you'd have the current influence mechanism there to increase the rewards (which could be expanded upon later, but I really think keeping it to the bare minimum atm, to get something ready, is advisable)

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 01:35:22 am »

This is actually pretty awesome. Set hours for given towns only led to bipolar politics for the entire wasteland - you could either join one of the two big alliances (it's natural - there might be some brief period of chaos, eventually a single group would dominate those fights, people would ally to overthrow them, the former "number 1s" would in turn seek their own allies to balance things out and with all the established personal sympathies and antipathies dating a few sessions back we'd end up with the same old NA vs DA ww1-like stalemate) or you couldn't participate at all - please don't ever bring that evil thing back, it was nothing more than a ridiculous, gamey (as in unrealistic and breaking immersion) setup for set piece battles which lacked any meaning and required a lot of really boring, logistical stuff. If you ever think it was any good just remember how thoroughly burned out and sick of it a lot of people were back in the day after just two months of that bullshit and how many have actually stopped playing the game because of everything preset TC windows entailed. Remember how, at times, we couldn't get any action at all for days, even weeks because one of the sides was beaten so badly that it just didn't feel like fighting until their opponents got tired of waiting for nothing and their numbers started dwindling during the TC window. Ultimately, with that setup the only way to "defeat" your enemy was to bore him to death.

The influence based mechanic that requires a lot of camping turned out to be pretty bad as well, because it discriminates against small gangs and also requires a lot of boring, timesink-based stuff (hence the AFK playstyle). The 15 minute dynamic counter mechanic, which is actually the only one that really worked and didn't make most of the people involved rage (aside from the issue of bluesuit captures, which has long been solved), is going to provide battles unpredictable enough to discourage large alliances (nobody's going to keep 30 people fighting for one side online for hours, others could just wait'em out anyway) while providing greater rewards and opportunities for people who actually name their hometown and keep enforcing their rule inside (I hope they get to have some militia after a while, but still can be removed pretty quick with a concentrated effort of a 5-10 person gang even at +60 influence). Actually, I think it's the first TC rework in a long time that doesn't really make me raise my brow and holds some real promise. Just don't allow any faction to rule the town for hours by virtue of militia and influence alone and you're golden, if the controlling gang is not in or ready to go in at ~30 minutes' notice it should be easy to dislodge to keep this TC thingie rolling and fun instead of it being a chore one must do at a predetermined snail's pace to get some action.

Also - does nobody remember Draconis and his Cathedral-based RPG project anymore? It got raided in the end, but it worked better than anything of that sort I've ever seen in a TC-enabled town. Take that, you anti-PvP "we want our own town with arbitrarily invincible militia where we arbitrarily make the rules" land grabbers :>
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:08:58 am by Nice_Boat »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.