"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 08:35:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Auction House  (Read 1025 times)

Auction House
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »

Auction house (or another suitable name for such an establishment)

After reading this thread: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=21325.0

I had a think.

At this location a player could bring his items, and place them up for sale in the care of NPC traders.
Prices for each item would be dependant on a predetermined value for each item, the player could put his items up for sale with a 10% difference in price either way. This way if there is alot of supply for the item you are selling you could undercut some traders a little by selling a 100caps item for 90caps, or puch the price up to 110caps if there are no other sellers for the item. The limit on the price for each sale would deter a group from buying all of something and reselling it at a much inflated price (which, if done enough times on a regular basis, would render this place rahter useless)

Via some fancy programming (which can, and has been done in at least one other game)... the predetermined price can fluctuate. If alot of people are selling one item for a low price and they arn't being bought, then the predetmined value with gradually get lower. If there are few of an item being sold, but at a relativy high price, then the value will increase over time. Eventually the value of items will reach a balance, in theory (barring flooding of a particular item)

As to how it works, you could simply bring your items to the location and engage in some dialouge to put up your items.
After (insert time here, open to suggestions, 2 days?) if  your item has not sold you can collect it at a later date for a fee, on those lines if you item does sell you can come collect your caps as you see fit, again, for a fee. Either way, the NPC's will be taking a cut even if your item does not sell as they have to make money somehow to pay their guards.

Speaking of guards... there should be many. A place like this would be a prime target for factions to attack and in my opinion it should be VERY hard to take and hold this area considering the quality of people and equipment that can be purchased with all the cuts they are taking on sales.

Traders would still have a place, there are several options for them.
One is to simply ban certain items going up for sale so manually selling them or trading to NPC traders are the only options.
Another could be having certain items only spawn on certain vendors so those vendors remain useful to some degree, possibly combine that with the banning of those items from being sold at the auction house.
Also after some time certain items will have a much larger supply than demand, so it would be more profitable to sell to a vendor than put it up for sale or demand would infalte the price of some items so purchasing from a vendor would be preferable.

Another way to make vendors remain useful are mini-quests, such as collecting X of something for a small cap reward and karma boost to replenish a vendors stock. The items needed for these could change from day to day and vary from vendor to vendor depending on what they mainly sell.

Problems (and fixes), suggestions, etc?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:25:12 pm by Dayve110 »

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
Re: Auction House
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »

Use search, already suggested
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »

Unfortunately as much as I would LOVE this to be implemented... It will unbalance the game and make it more like other MMOs.  This game is about struggling to survive in a harsh wasteland.  If we had a place that any time you got a decent item, you could take it to this completely safe place, put it in for a day or two and get its value in caps... Making it ridiculously easy for strong players to amass millions, and after a while, due to some items being worth alot, meaning that players would farm those items, with fluctuating prices, would eventually make those hard to get items quite cheap and easy to get... breaking the game.  Good idea, but not for FOnline2238.

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »

As I wrote in a similar thread, unless the place is 100% safe (you can't die/have your items stolen there), it will not work.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »

Unfortunately as much as I would LOVE this to be implemented... It will unbalance the game and make it more like other MMOs.  This game is about struggling to survive in a harsh wasteland.  If we had a place that any time you got a decent item, you could take it to this completely safe place, put it in for a day or two and get its value in caps... Making it ridiculously easy for strong players to amass millions, and after a while, due to some items being worth alot, meaning that players would farm those items, with fluctuating prices, would eventually make those hard to get items quite cheap and easy to get... breaking the game.  Good idea, but not for FOnline2238.

Well, lets face it, it isn't hard to lvl up and become a "strong" player. I don't think it would be as easy to amass millions tho due to the limited number of items and a limited player base. There is no guarantee that item x would sell, and if it doesn't then you would still have to pay a fee. If you make bad choices and keep puttin up items that do not sell then you stand to loose money.

Of course there will be items that will almost always sell, but if too many people start farming those items to put up for sale, they will end up dropping in price if more people sell than buy, as you said... and if they are hard to get (hard with work, or long with time) then they arn't going to be sold for a low a price and without anyone selling so the prices would gradually go back up.

With price fluctuation there shouldn't be any items that everyone can repeatedly sell for lots of caps, it just wouldn't work. The more people trying to sell that item the less there are to buy it and while one person or group might get a good income selling a particular item it wouldn't be long until others tried to jump on the bandwagon and flood the market with that item and drop the price.

This pricing system has working in another game i've played and it worked rather well

As I wrote in a similar thread, unless the place is 100% safe (you can't die/have your items stolen there), it will not work.

It wouldn't need to be 100% safe, but thieves would be an issue, perhaps having a thief able to be gunned down within a certain time of a steal could fix that, its your own problem if your not watching and they take your stuff right?

Regarding not being killed... theres a chance you can be found and killed while doing pretty much anything in this game, this shouldn't be any different, but just harder.

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:33:23 am »

It wouldn't need to be 100% safe
If it's not 100% safe, nobody in their right mind would trade there since the likelihood of getting gang raped/robbed at such a place would be much higher than at any other guarded location.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »

just make alot auction guys, like trawelling merchants in each city (same guys like in wow).

give them random delay for get item ( u win at auction - got delay for get like few hours, so u can get item in any minute of this few hours )

Let the Force be with You.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:04:16 am »

Well, lets face it, it isn't hard to lvl up and become a "strong" player. I don't think it would be as easy to amass millions tho due to the limited number of items and a limited player base. There is no guarantee that item x would sell, and if it doesn't then you would still have to pay a fee. If you make bad choices and keep puttin up items that do not sell then you stand to loose money.

Of course there would be items that wouldn't sell, but its pretty easy to figure out what kinds of items would be good sellers... and then farm them. I'm talking about factions with access to multiple crafters, being able to churn out higher tier items by the hundred for very little effort. Even if the price drops considerably, they can still be raking in hundreds of thousands of caps easily, without any risk.

Of course there will be items that will almost always sell, but if too many people start farming those items to put up for sale, they will end up dropping in price if more people sell than buy, as you said... and if they are hard to get (hard with work, or long with time) then they arn't going to be sold for a low a price and without anyone selling so the prices would gradually go back up.

With price fluctuation there shouldn't be any items that everyone can repeatedly sell for lots of caps, it just wouldn't work. The more people trying to sell that item the less there are to buy it and while one person or group might get a good income selling a particular item it wouldn't be long until others tried to jump on the bandwagon and flood the market with that item and drop the price.

There will always be items that are extremely valuable and hard to obtain, that will mean they will have a high price, such as Gauss Rifles, but there are much more items that are hard for most people to get, making them valuable now, for example CA Mk2, FN FAL, Plasma rifles ect, that could be mass produced, allowing the people who can do that to make very easy money.  Then the prices drop as supply exceeds demand, making it very cheap for anyone to get, and easy... just bring a few thousand caps and bam, your in the best gear... Which is just stupid.

The way other games deal with that sort of thing, apart from having lots of very hard to get items, and bringing out more all the time.  Look at Wow for example, they don't go a month without introducing a few new items.  Those items start expensive, but the price drops quickly and then a new item is released and the cycle continues.  With FOnline2238, you cant do that, updates take a long time, and new items even longer.  I mean how many new items have come into the game since it began?  Fonline2238 just can't handle an auction house, it would break the game and make it boring, this I can guarantee
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.