"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 11:25:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [BANKS] WARNING to all new players!  (Read 11145 times)

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: [BANKS] WARNING to all new players!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 02:29:21 am »

Perhaps every few months we could change currency (oh I'm sorry, we don't accept "caps" anymore. Haven't you switched to "Hub-bucks" yet? I suppose I could exchange them for you 100:1, but only cuz I'm such a nice guy.)
This is actually a very good idea. +1 to the whole post, this needs to be seen.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:47 am »

If you start charging money for depositing it, the playerbase start hoarding money in their tents. Absolutely safe and free of charge. So it's a dead capital instead of one flowing in system.

However, if your interest surpasses the costs, you will for sure fill up your account with 10K or something. The bank should change interest at fluctuating weekly basis between the FLC branches from negative to positive values and charge branch transaction costs from players - the FLC gets its income to create interest and players will behave more actively concerning their income growth by this kind of "daytrading".

If a player wants to save his money on transaction, he must withdraw money and bring this cash to another branch - for that, he risks to get killed and robbed in the Wastes - in this case, this cash will be introduced back to the global pool.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:45:48 am by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »

from negative to positive values

No bank in the history of the earth has ever or will ever add a negative value to interest.

Why?

Because you're just giving your money away in the eye of the consumer, and that's absolutely the case.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 09:56:47 pm »

Negative interest would mean someone else would get your money as positive interest. Consider your money invested in FLC stocks - they're
getting uppers and downers, too, depending on how much cash is in the bank.

Is it too little in Hub - the bank gets it from negative interest from the branch in Frisco, where the most money is placed. Players gets the info about high interest and storm the Hub FLC branch to deposit their savings there. It's cash pool gets filled up with player's money and the pork cycle leaves a span of time for players getting some positive interest.

On the other side, there will be panicked withdrawal of money from Frisco - yet, since there won't be a possibility for every player to watch their account for 24/7, there will be always loss for some players and, winning for another, more awake ones.

So it's a financial PvP against an anonymous person and you better do something about your profits.

Hey, ask yourself what will happen if someone start to hoard the caps in-game?

And i think the devs should distance a bit from realistic bank schemes, but not condemn them.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:34 pm »

What a ridiculously stupid idea, no offense......  are your getting enough oxygen to your brain?
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 02:31:50 am »

CBT's banks did not collapse, global currency pool system and not the actual work too low. They will be more and more flat, over time the real wealth is lineraly expected to increase.
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:13 pm »

No bank in the history of the earth has ever or will ever add a negative value to interest.

No offense, but you are speaking from ignorance. Even if we ignore the common practice of banks exceeding interest payouts with non-service related bank fees, it is often the case in conflict countries for banks to charge either a substantial flat fee or negative interest for protecting your money. For example, this practice is still rampant in post-earthquake Haiti, as the only other options are to carry your money and risk mugging/skimming, or keeping your valuables in an easily ransacked tent. Insecurity leads to protection charges.
Main Menu: Shift -> Credits
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »

On the other side, there will be panicked withdrawal of money from Frisco - yet, since there won't be a possibility for every player to watch their account for 24/7, there will be always loss for some players and, winning for another, more awake ones.

What you're suggesting is an easily exploitable system, and the only way to counter abuse would be arbitrary limitations on each player's "participation" and THAT would mean defeating the whole purpose of this little gambling stock-market minigame. Who wants to sit on their computer waiting for bank-updates while Ivan is idling with an army of traders waiting to min/max every transaction.

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »

I witnessed a dialogue between two newbies today, one advising the other to keep his money in a bank.

This topic needs to go back to the first page.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:50 pm »

No offense, but you are speaking from ignorance. Even if we ignore the common practice of banks exceeding interest payouts with non-service related bank fees, it is often the case in conflict countries for banks to charge either a substantial flat fee or negative interest for protecting your money. For example, this practice is still rampant in post-earthquake Haiti, as the only other options are to carry your money and risk mugging/skimming, or keeping your valuables in an easily ransacked tent. Insecurity leads to protection charges.
just noticed this.

Banks do not cost anything to store money in and you actually make some money storing it in an account.  There is that first "flat-fee" to make the account but it is hardly of consequence.  And they do not charge negative interest as you say.  They only charge you for withdrawals.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 12:57:58 am »

just noticed this.

Banks do not cost anything to store money in
activity fees, transfer fees, minimum balance penalties, atm fees, "maintenance" fees, interstate/international "processing" fees, currency exchange fees... and that's just for normal countries, not including bribes or protection money... have you ever used a bank before?
and you actually make some money storing it in an account.
you're lucky to find a bank that gives 0.25% interest. most banks, if you hold less than a few thousand dollars in your account, will charge you more in monthly service and maintenance fees then you will ever make in quarterly interest.
There is that first "flat-fee" to make the account but it is hardly of consequence.
Most real banks don't do this anymore. Why make a barrier to new members, when the real money lies in fees and investing their deposits. In 2238, the bank fee seems to be simply a money sink to control the economy, and a minor barrier to slow down alts
And they do not charge negative interest as you say.
all you need to do is google "negative interest rate"... there's even examples of non-conflict/non-third-world private and public banks going negative.
They only charge you for withdrawals.
You have obviously never used a bank before... underaged?
Main Menu: Shift -> Credits
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:37 am »

Yea in a primitive country like the US maybe (assuming you are US cause you mentioned dollars).

In a civilised country with a working banking system I do not have

a) Opening account fee? NOP
b) Minimum amount of money or you are charged? NOP (actually Barclays does this but not Natwest and HSBC)
c) Deposit/Withdrawl charge? ARE YOU NORMAL? What kind of sneaky scam-artist bank does this?
d) Withdraw with card from ATM? Hell No!
e) Withdraw with card from ATM of another Bank? NO AGAIN!
f) Pay with -debit- card fee? NOP!

The only things I get charged for is for money transfer to another bank (which does make some sense) and for getting cash (not purchases) with the visa in which case its a visa transaction cost and not from my own bank.

We even have cash back and there is no extra charge (ie you go to the super market and you buy some stuff and tell the cashier 'also give me 100 pounds' and bill it all on my debit card').

So yea... I am sorry for you poor Americans...
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:50 pm »

I don't know which country you are from Ymeogamaouas, but seems you're very lucky. Here, in The Czech Republic the majority of banks charge you for almost everything. Withdrawal, deposit, ATM withdraw, paying with card... it costs you a lot of money. Not to mention perversities like e-banking or immense deposit fees.

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »

b) Minimum amount of money or you are charged? NOP (actually Barclays does this but not Natwest and HSBC)

According to this it sounds to me like Britain.
I remember when I used to live there, no fees at all, no interest rate on credit cards...
When I came back to my country, I could not believe that I had to pay for everything (when I started to use non-student account). Our banking system is way more behind (like everything in here) than it was in Britain.
[sighs] One of these days, I will be back, Britain...do you hear me?...I will be back. ;D
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:19 pm »

I was in the UK for 5 years... the above examples are from there...

I am originally from Greece and we have exactly the same things I mentioned for UK with the exception of getting money from an ATM of another bank... they charge you 1 euro for that. And we also dont have cash back...

I am now living in Poland and its ALSO the same here... they only charge me for taking money with my card from a diffrent bank ATM but on the other hand I can make money transfers even between banks without transaction cost...

I know that the banking system in the US is pretty darn primitive (as is their public medical care and education) but didnt expect it from Czech and ... where you are from again Mike?
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.