"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:31:32 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like to have the skill-points system to be changed this way?

Yes! This definetely sounds good.
- 17 (63%)
Yes, but I have something to change in this suggestion (please reply).
- 1 (3.7%)
No, I want the good-old system to stay.
- 9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: October 30, 2011, 01:38:39 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Total skillpoints overhaul  (Read 4635 times)

Josh

• The Armegeddon Arms Co. is temporarily on hiatus
Re: Total skillpoints overhaul
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:07:09 am »

I like it! Its like a less invasive version of my old suggestion.
(http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=18780.0)
However it doesn't address the problems already brought up about some skills functionality. With the current system you might as well drop the last 3 skills off of Backup.
When you hear people talking about the great leader of the Armeggedon Arms Co., there talking about me. On the flip side when you hear them laughing about the Plague who stood next to guard and died or something else like that, that would be my brother Ben.
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

If this suggestion is primary for reducing alts it can not fulfil this requirement much.

For example my alt situation:
1 BG pvp ape + 8 tent alts
1 sniper pvp ape + 8 tent alts
1 energy pvp ape + 8 tent alts
1 BG, 1 SG, 1 armour crafters
1 stealer
1 barterer + 10 tent alts
some other failbuilds forgotten in the ashes of wasteland.
(i realize that there are many other kinds of chars which have to be separate alt like sucuideburster/bomber, merc leader, .... but i dont use them so this is only example.)

As you can see 80% of alts are just lvl1 tent alts. Not mentioned at all

Altough tent alts migh not be considered as relly "active alts" which run around wasteland and meets other players. This suggestion would allow to merge 1pvp ape with 1support char and one crafter char reducing amount of active alts to one third but reducing overall amount of alts by only one third (included reduction of tetn alts associated with support chars.).

Imho the effort to implement that kind of mayor change with all exploits and bugs and reballancing which will occur on the way is not worth one third reduction in alts.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

avv

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »

The thing with skillpoints is that they offer a tradeoffs. But in fonline players go "Tradeoffs? I don't want to trade anything off, I want to keep it all". In singleplayer tradeoffs create replayability but in multiplayer it's alts.
To cut alts, you'd have to cut tradeoffs which basically meant all skills 300%.

Or you can make every char so versatile that he can do most things and the rest he can compensate with equipment. Like cha1 guys drink beer or take mentats to compensate their bad leading skills.
Changing alt resembles just changing equipment these days anyway.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »

In singleplayer tradeoffs create replayability but in multiplayer it's alts.

That's pretty much true.

I think there is still a way to eliminate crafting alts, mining alts etc and still having trade offs, but it's a harsh solution. Quickly explained below.

Things needed:
- Battle.net like account system (1 account per person, your account contains all your characters)
- Item crafted / found by character x on account y cannot be given to other characters on account y.
- Only one character from account y can be in faction x.

This way you cannot:
- Gather resources and give them to your main char.
- Craft items and give them to your main char.

This would force...
- ...you and your faction to buy items you and your faction cannot craft from other players / NPCs
- ...faction to look for a specific player (e.g. we need a gunsmith)

That's quick and dirty explanation. This also goes to category "just-popped-into-my-head" so I'm not surprised, if I have missed out something important. If this was combined with the system Graf is suggesting, it could be pretty cool... maybe.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 01:38:26 pm »

That's pretty much true.

I think there is still a way to eliminate crafting alts, mining alts etc and still having trade offs, but it's a harsh solution. Quickly explained below.

Things needed:
- Battle.net like account system (1 account per person, your account contains all your characters)
- Item crafted / found by character x on account y cannot be given to other characters on account y.
- Only one character from account y can be in faction x.

This way you cannot:
- Gather resources and give them to your main char.
- Craft items and give them to your main char.

This would force...
- ...you and your faction to buy items you and your faction cannot craft from other players / NPCs
- ...faction to look for a specific player (e.g. we need a gunsmith)

That's quick and dirty explanation. This also goes to category "just-popped-into-my-head" so I'm not surprised, if I have missed out something important. If this was combined with the system Graf is suggesting, it could be pretty cool... maybe.
And why player can't make.... 2nd account for crafter? >_>
Then he'll "buy" it for free from his 2nd account and would be able to use it.

avv

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »

Yeah this. Another thing that makes alts is the encouragement. If the game encourages something, it will be done even through most hideous cheating. It's a big fail in development to have the features and mechanics say "do this" but have the rules that say "don't do it".
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 01:51:09 pm »

I don't know, if it is possible to prevent creation of another account, but you can make it a little bit longer process:
- Email activation (1 email = 1 account)
- MAC-address check
- IP-address check

There must be better ways too, but these came to my mind first. Several checks that doesn't frustrate the "one account users".
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »

Yeah this. Another thing that makes alts is the encouragement. If the game encourages something, it will be done even through most hideous cheating. It's a big fail in development to have the features and mechanics say "do this" but have the rules that say "don't do it".
Wishful thinking. Using alts will always result in more efficient gameplay unless you delete all features available.

I don't know, if it is possible to prevent creation of another account, but you can make it a little bit longer process:
- Email activation (1 email = 1 account)
- MAC-address check
- IP-address check
Creating multiple email accounts was never a big deal. IP address check is weak (see proxy users, dynamic IP users, or people that play from 1 IP address). MAC-address is easy to change too.

avv

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:32 pm »

Wishful thinking. Using alts will always result in more efficient gameplay unless you delete all features available.

Not a big dealio. Alts exist in every mmo out there because people want to try something differend. All that's needed is that an individual player can center his gameplay around one char and do fine in all aspects of gameplay (tc, pvp, crafting, exploring etc) without being tempted to create an alt.

Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »

Creating multiple email accounts was never a big deal. IP address check is weak (see proxy users, dynamic IP users, or people that play from 1 IP address). MAC-address is easy to change too.

Yeah, like I said that I don't know, if there is a way to prevent it completely. These were just examples of ways to make it more frustrating and longer process to create an alt (which is a small improvement). Feel free to suggest better ways, if you think the idea of the system is good. :)
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »

This thread is about skills overhaul, not alts. My point is, would you kindly control yourself and stick to a bloody topic.
_
Concept of the idea looks interesting, I'll give it a thought.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:14:35 pm by Wire »
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
irc V_guessWho

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »

... 8 tent alts ...
... tent alts ...

As you can see 80% of alts are just lvl1 tent alts. Not mentioned at all
Nothing against you personally, but it is reading things like that which make me (again) wish that I had a button to turn someones tent/base into a radioactive crater.

Onto the suggestion: I'm fond of what has been said, as it tackles an issue I thought on awhile ago.  The reason I didn't think on it much is because of the (possible) difficulty involved with altering SPECIAL/Skills in any meaningful way for the game. I'm not sure, but it just strikes me as being one of the more difficult things to even alter, if its possible at all. Only someone who are, say, the Devs or has similar knowledge of coding/whatever with this game could really reply on its feasibility.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »

I'm not sure, but it just strikes me as being one of the more difficult things to even alter, if its possible at all. Only someone who are, say, the Devs or has similar knowledge of coding/whatever with this game could really reply on its feasibility.

Nah, it was like that some time ago, it's now highly customizable.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

Or simply create limited number of codes, serials and each one would permit to set up one char. However then all people would become "playing on a shared IP" trololo.

One thing would be to make lvling harder so that u wouldnt have 10 pvp apes and 10 mining alts and so on and so on.
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:19 pm »

I'd encourage everyone not to waste time on making up various kinds of 'technical' limitations to fight with alts. Should we introduce any of them while leaving other issues intact - it would be just unwise to say the least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.