"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:34:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like to have the skill-points system to be changed this way?

Yes! This definetely sounds good.
- 17 (63%)
Yes, but I have something to change in this suggestion (please reply).
- 1 (3.7%)
No, I want the good-old system to stay.
- 9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: October 30, 2011, 01:38:39 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Total skillpoints overhaul  (Read 4624 times)

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Total skillpoints overhaul
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »

As all of us know, Fonline is mostly known for three things: evil PK's ("wasteland is harsh" stuff), so called "Korean crafting system" and alts. Today I would like to discuss, how to deal with the last one. I understand, that support characters are not bad by themselves, but if you'll spend some time reading the suggestions board, you'll definitely notice, that nearly 90% of suggestions are being rejected because of their futility, until we get rid of alts. So I spent some time looking for a decision. And I think I've got one. Check this out:

To make alts even more useless, along with other measures aimed to reduce the number of alts, I suggest to divide 18 skills to 3 types...

Combat skills:

Active skills:

Backup skills:

... and give a character the same number of skill points, except that he will have 3 groups of skills, and in each group he will have equal number of skill-points each level. This means, that once the character with average intelligence gains a level, he will have 15 skill-points for combat skills, 15 for active skills and 15 for backup skills to assign.

To calculate, if we are going the right way, let's check what wiki says about the intelligence (since, it's the most important skill, affecting the number of skill points received by the character):

So, the average intelligence character will have 3 skills over 250% only, which isn't too much, and not even making him a "Jack of all trades". The character with maximum intelligence and all perks will have 3 skills with 300% and 3 more with 118% skill. Nobody (even true PvP apes) needs a characters, that will be able to handle basically everything, but we all want our characters to shoot well, to be able to craft some stuff, that we need, and to travel without of much difficulties. This suggestion allows you to do so, with 21 (or 24th) level cap, and without of breaking the game. It also could make some sense, to lower the number of skills gained by, for example, by 30%.

That's it for now. Please feel free to discuss this suggestion.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
Re: Total skillpoints overhaul
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

Sounds good, but I think there is already something planned to make combat chars able to craft/travel.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:51:37 pm »

There were somewhere few exact suggestions, skills divided into 3 parts, get separate skill points into each section, etc. Just need to use search.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 03:17:37 pm »

Definitely yes.Not just yes,you guys MUST do it:One-two characters for person will be normal,alting will be just a pleasure and not a necessity.Can t wait for such improvement.And yes,level cap to 24,with the last 3 level insanely hard to get,million xp maybe,so very old and experienced character can have a deserved little edge over molerats-centaur raised characters grown in a couple days.Thank you and can t wait to see that in action!
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate

avv

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:54:48 pm »

No matter how you divide them, FA and doc are very important for pvp char. So even if you divide those skills like that, pvp char would take one main combat skill, doc and fa and then perhaps repair.

Unless other skills provide similar benefit as doc and FA, there's no encouragement to spend skillpoints in other areas. Sneak is an alternative but it needs to be incredibly high to be useful.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:08:13 pm »

It's not a necessity to place skills like I did. Sneak could be placed in other section, for example in the "backup". But then everybody will be able to be a sneaker and do other stuff in the meantime. So it might be a better idea, if you have to choose between FA/Doc and sneak.

By the way, I thought about dividing all skills on to two categories: combat and non-combat skills.

Pros:
More diversity in builds.

Cons:
Doesn't solve the alting problem completely.

How do you think, is it better or not?

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:16:28 pm »

Everything that can help to get rid off alts - I support. You have my spear, Leonidas.

Combat ape + uber-woodsman-crafting-machine is all I need, really. And by uber-crafter I mean uber-crafter, able to craft any shit craftable. Not toilet-like-chars (use - flush - forget), made and leveled up just to get profession.

avv - there are stimpaks you know, no need to have FA maxed.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »

So we can only tag 1 skill in each section? Or maybe put the 3 tags in whatever section you want?

Though I suppose given the choice everyone would prefer the first.

I think it's a great idea, for reasons already mentioned.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

avv

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:27:29 pm »

How do you think, is it better or not?

Better for sure, it's just some skills aren't as useful as others which leads to maxing out the useful ones.

avv - there are stimpaks you know, no need to have FA maxed.

FA is very useful skill because it's fast to use in combat, just press 5 and click and it gives instant healing after death provided you succeed to remove weakness.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:00:33 pm »

Its just doesnt sound right.

What if i need to tag BG and SG? Ill have still just n points for both skills.

Second idea seems much better. I think that, in first group there should be EVERY skill, needed for combat. So: SG, BG, EW, unarmed, Melee, Throwing, Sneak, First Aid, Doc.

The second group.... hmmm... still i think its weird to get same SP to distribute in any skill. Maybe we need some other system for those, non-violent stats. Something based on actual playing style. for example: 2% Outdoorsman for every square of map visited (or 3% if you have tagged OUT). Same for reapir: the more weapons you try to repair, the more skill u get. Same with, dissasembling for science.
Because your suggestion Graf, leads to ending alts era (which i think is really great idea), there should be no any cap of those non combat skills.

Combat: everyone has same chances - build pvp ape you ever wanted.
Non combat: benefits for explorers, barters, scientists, repiarsmen. The more you play your character, the more all-around it becomes.

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »

No thank you

No need for that

Death to the level cap!

Problem solved

(just changing some skills so that those would be working fine without bumping them up to 250 - 300) (like sneak or repair)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:18:03 pm by Wallace »

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:52:47 pm »

No level cap? No way, characters should not be able to have 300% in each stat. It will just be molerat grinding, and the distance between noobs and no-lifers will just increase infinitely. I can't believe that you're being serious.

This suggestion won't make it perfect, but it will make it better, whether it is divided into two or three parts.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

No level cap may work if XP will be limited for actions. Right now XP is unlimited, you can gather it without worrying it ends.
Like non-repeatable quests only, and if repeatable, then XP only for fixed number of attempts.
No XP after N kills of some type of mob, or diminishing XP to some number and then 0 after it.

XP from quests gained from 0% to 100% of possible by quality of completion, if quest is for more than 1 player, but less than 4-5 and this number can't be changed at the middle of quest (noone can't enter location after 1st enter), then 100% completion should require some skills like gambling/speech/science/repair/outdorsman/barter in process.

XP gained from mob should be dependant on quality of kill and your level, if you dealt 100% of all damage to mob and it 0% to you, then you'll get full XP, or else some penalty to it.

This way there will be some kind of "level cap", because after some time you won't get XP from actions when all quests are done, all types of mobs are killed on max, etc. The level cap will be different for each player, dependant on its knowledge of game and quality of using this knowledge.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »

It looks good, but u miss one thing, SPECIAL requirements for specs and specs limit. For every profession you need an alt. Also Fa, Doc, Outd in 1 group would be hard
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 12:27:58 am »

No level cap? No way, characters should not be able to have 300% in each stat. It will just be molerat grinding, and the distance between noobs and no-lifers will just increase infinitely. I can't believe that you're being serious.

This suggestion won't make it perfect, but it will make it better, whether it is divided into two or three parts.

What you seriously think this way ?

Chars don't gain perks , hp after level 21 and can reach level .... for example 30 much simpler = less alts because the existing characters more universal or just better powerbuilds ;D ..... well both.

It looks good, but u miss one thing, SPECIAL requirements for specs and specs limit. For every profession you need an alt. Also Fa, Doc, Outd in 1 group would be hard

Yep , this all suggestion sounds candy and sugar but it isn't all that good , i wish it would be happyland ... hmmm sweetcakes.

But this suggestion is good in overall , i give a green light from my side.

(just changing some skills so that those would be working fine without bumping them up to 250 - 300) (like sneak or repair)

This is a problem too , if you give enough skillpoints then everyone in the wasteland will be invisible , invisible proxy looters , big gunners , snipers , UNSEEN merc leader chars , invisible maxed out traps suicide bombers , each crafter is gonna become invisible sooner or later , that means invisible miners etc. etc. i could go on forever and ever. That would be the era of 12 pe only chars and shit ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:51:13 am by T-888 »
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.