"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 16, 2024, 02:55:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fonline2238, a best start for newcomers?  (Read 1534 times)

Fonline2238, a best start for newcomers?
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »

I see a lot of complains about player base being low, and noobs playing for weeks and die, and cant gather the 10 hides and leave or equip themselfs...

And i come with one idea, that is a little change, and it may help a LOT to new players.

What if when u start the first time  (in a random location) u start with a small tent?

When i was noob, was TOO DAMM HARD gather the 10 hides. I even cant gather all by miself, because i got killed by raiders/pked too many times. I finally have my tent because some nice guy giveme like 7 hides (i have like 3, because i die for 2 days trieing to get hides for my tent).

So, this could be game-changing? With a begginer tent, smaller that the "10-brahmins-hides-tent", it would be a little easyer gather equip, some mausers and stuff, and start leveling up the first levels.
Because is too damm hard for begginers hunt the brahmins, have the weapons, not die and start from scratch again, etc.

What do u think? Do u have another idea? Lets talk about this
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:56:38 pm by Savager »

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Fonline2238, a best start for newcomers?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:00:58 pm »

player start for loners is shit

we need boosted lvl 1 and nerfed lvl 21

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »

I don't like the idea of already having a tent when your character is created. I believe that, to make it easier for new players or new characters, it'd be interesting to modify the Hit Points formula so every character starts with a fairly decent (for a low level) amount of HP and there is not so much difference between 40 hp at level 1 and 240 hp at level 21... This would pretty much be what LagMaster said: boosting lvl 1, nerfing lvl 21.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

yeah the problem is to find the just middle between easier to have a minimum of security (to not rage quit) and in other side to know the price of stuff...
And , even if you die a tof time, you learn lot of thing about game and players (behaviour, combat systeme, wath to do versus npc......)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:19:56 pm by Sishare »

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:59 pm »

Do u have another idea?
Yeah, based on my long experience as self-proclaimed Mother Theresa of Wasteland.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Marko69

• SLASH!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »

Try playing on Russian servers and complain about it. This game is quite easy.
Anti-pk, protector of the law in wasteland.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:17:07 pm »

Try playing on Russian servers and complain about it. This game is quite easy.

uuuh, beginning is far easier on russians servers (at least TLA and requiem when I played those).
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Marko69

• SLASH!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:01 pm »

uuuh, beginning is far easier on russians servers (at least TLA and requiem when I played those).

Well what is hard here? You just need to make a crafter-traveler and you'll get brahmin hides and tent quickly. Most of people who start don't know where to get brahmins, it's near Modoc fools. Or you can come to BH and ask for hides.
I remember almost 2 years ago when I started playing I got level 15 2nd day of playing, and I got pissed off cuz there was no brof, didn't asked for info or read forum enough, it was my fault. But noobs which start playing and don't know what's brof, they should suffer.
Crazy for me and you it's easy, tell me to how many newbs you helped out with starting in this game?
Anti-pk, protector of the law in wasteland.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »

All it takes is a quick forum search to see where to easily find brahmin hides. NW of Mordoc 18:3 and 19:3 is where I like to go myself since its like 3-4 per encounter. All you need is a 9mm or 10mm pistol that can be easily made from a few pieces of junk and a piece of wood.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 07:15:20 pm »

tell me to how many newbs you helped out with starting in this game?
I never counted, but hundreds for sure. Most of them left the game after few days anyway, but not due to my lack of help.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »

Starting alone is too risky :/
Why not ask friends to play with you?
Makes game more easier.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »

This game is really a niche game and will never support huge numbers.  It's sad to say but for the most part you're not going to be able to drag somebody from their 360 and convince them to spend the week or so on this game to even begin to appreciate its depth of substance.
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:55:11 pm »

Yes, the game is difficult for newcomers.  All the usual scapegoats are already listed.  "Too hard to get a tent", "PK's", "No one helped them", etc.  It's none of those.

The reason it took me two weeks to get my first tent with my first character, and 20 minutes with my last new character, is because I had already overcome the steep learning curve present in this game.

It's hard for new players, simply because they do not know.  Look at this. http://www.fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Advice_for_beginners

Rent a hotel room? lolz
Shovel shit?  That advice is so terrible it's almost insulting.
Buy brahmin hides? Good luck.

Seriously, is that the best support offered to new players? No wonder it's difficult for them to get the basics.  "But they can search the forum lolz".  Yeah, they could.  Obviously they don't.  I took the advice on the wiki when I first started, and knowing what I know now... it's fucking terrible advice.

If players want more people to play (and we do), we help them by telling them all the stuff they need to know.

If devs or other important people want more people to play, then stop prominently displaying such shit advice, which only wastes their time, and makes it more difficult for new players than it needs to be.  Of course there is a ton of information on the wiki that IS useful, but you would have to scour it for days before playing to collect it all.  Obviously, no one does that.

That's my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Iguana Pete's sister

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:58 pm »

This game is really a niche game and will never support huge numbers.  It's sad to say but for the most part you're not going to be able to drag somebody from their 360 and convince them to spend the week or so on this game to even begin to appreciate its depth of substance.

Oh, and this.
Iguana Pete's sister

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:43 pm »

With a decent player market or auction (not just useless merchants for grinding caps) every noob would see the prices of hides and could shovel shit for an hour or so and make tent without knowing a thing about this game.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.