"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 21, 2024, 07:35:05 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Looking for caps  (Read 23522 times)

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
Re: Looking for caps
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

Look what I have done. One single quote and boom! Man, my trolling skill keeps rising.
(...)
YOU'RE ALIVE!!!11eleven
Glad to "see" you, sir.

And I can only humble agree with time issues you've described. It's the reason why I had to resign from being part of 2155 team.
Before we started it seemed like we would have had 100 players at peak, to have that number this far in and 8 months since even the slightest update still seems weird to me.
It's called "masochism", I guess :>

No, seriously - if 2238 be total crap, barely anyone would still wait for any changes. But people are waiting, it has to mean something then.
If you don't have much time, simply take more people.
+1

Quest/Maps/Dialogues/Scripts contest, anyone?
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:18 pm »

To the devs, maybe this has been proposed already, but have you been thinking into making the project open source?
If you've thought about it already, what are the reason why you don't do it?
There are many free source code hostings in the web, with bug tracker, svn and other features.
By this way the simple player who has the knowledges to help, goes in the bug tracker, writes a solution, and then the leading team will decide if to apply it or not.
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:55 am »

I think the devs could go OpenSource when the circumstances won't allow them to work on 2238 anymore and i hope that won't happen in the next time.

And you're basically asking the devs to abandon their project.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2011, 10:56:50 am »

It's just not that easy.

Besides, check out Desert Europe. Lots of people in the beginning and now it's as good as dead. I don't have any insight in how they work, but my humble guess is that the reason for their problems are at least two: 1. lots of people doing nothing and 2. lots of endless discussion killing progress.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:58:38 am by Lexx »

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:25 am »

Open source is not the answer. It works well for projects, where subjective opinion of the developers doesn't count, and what counts is performance/reliability/correctness. Game is often mix of those things and it includes art (be it map design/writing/graphics). Whether art is concerned, subjectivity starts to prevail and open source may just cause conflicts.

However, what should help community to have greater impact on content are proper tools. Tools, which would allow you to package your idea, test it, send to devs who in turn can easily deploy it without bigger conflicts. And this is the road we should be following. It's not Linux, it's a game.

Johnny Nuclear

• Rotator
  • hrmm
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2011, 01:11:11 pm »

It's just not that easy.

Besides, check out Desert Europe. Lots of people in the beginning and now it's as good as dead. I don't have any insight in how they work, but my humble guess is that the reason for their problems are at least two: 1. lots of people doing nothing and 2. lots of endless discussion killing progress.

as Wichura wrote, contest, that's what can show you skilled mappers/writers/scripters and if you take them, and they won't work, you can simply fire them.

keep in mind, reasonable discussion is what produces most healthy ideas.

Rockwell gold card owner.

lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »

Since the community was waiting for so long to get a new update, I think it deserves a reply from us, the devs. I, hereby, want to thank Lexx and scypior for providing their points of view on the matter and, at the same time, want to use this opportunity to provide you with my own one.

I think our community got most of the transparency as one can get from a development team. Instead of the usual marketing crap, hype and framed interviews you could expect from the developers/publishers today, we really were open to our playerbase as much as we could afford it. We always tried to keep the development as transparent and open as it possibly could be, discussing or, at least, mentioning the community input in our IRC debates and keeping the communication channels open via the forum. I am sorry that we couldn't meet the wishes most of you had for this project, but I believe most of the features currently implemented still have a large support of the playerbase. For this, we thank you and hope you will keep supporting this "masochistic work" we have been doing, as we do support you in your "masochistic addiction" to this game.

Quote from: Johnny Nuclear
Johnny, I wish it was "simply ... do this and that." Let me be clear: explaining the situation about the FOnline: 2238 development and The Rotators is such a complicated material, that I could write a novel about it - no more, no less. I ask myself sometimes, if all of this is still just a dream, considering what incredible factors and coincidences led us to the point where we stand right now. Quite incredible, I assure you. There came the words of wisdom, behold:
Quote from: lisac
The team is the way it is, and we work the way we work.

And last, but not least:
Quote from: Wichura
Glad to "see" you, sir.
I must invest some skill points into Sneak, I see :)

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »

In the very moment we started working on 2238, most of the team was motivated AND had enough time to make a framework for the open beta.
^This.
You need fresh blood that would be as motivated and time-free as you were back then. I understand that the current development pace isnt an issue for you, but Im sure there are lots of tedious and boring things to make which can be rather assigned to someone new. Its a win/win situation, you get unburdened and the new guy gains some experience with the development.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2011, 05:46:38 pm »

Deliver such a magic person (who won't leave a few weeks in) and you have a deal! :)
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »

To be precise - content is needed, not [DEV]s swarm. Point is, you need maps, quests, dialogues and so on, not yet another one-week-stand yahoos to get "Developer" status below the nick. That's why it doesn't really matter who did this or that, as long as it can be used and/or implemented.
And this leads to various contests, to get fancy files, not shmancy people. It's cruel, but works.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »

VERY sad that,a free game made out of passion and hobby has users who do not understand and appreciate the fact that devs and gm could do something else in their spare time,instead of worrying of our lazy asses.

I love this game,i will donate and keep support it as much as i can.I just do not understand the point of whining about something free.We are users,not customers.It's so immature to keep pissing off the grey-caped guys.
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate

Frenchy

• TSAR
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:02 pm »

3 devs and 2 GMs are some time connected, others are dead ?

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »

3 devs and 2 GMs are some time connected, others are dead ?
Reading seems to be forgotten ancient art.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2011, 11:16:42 pm »

Weirdly, we have more of us here since .... well, a very long time.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Frenchy

• TSAR
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2011, 11:47:43 pm »

"Looking for caps"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.