"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:39:09 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Useless Combat Skills and Classification of Weapons  (Read 4049 times)

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
Re: Useless Combat Skills and Classification of Weapons
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »

Imagine BG character based on luck, (25% crit chance, 220% BG skill). I haven't played with such, but if i could get free 220% in SG to shoot you in the eyes with Sniper Rifle to knock you out and then finish bursting with minigun I would definetly make a sniper/bg.
You can still use P90 or something, but looking at firearms they are quite variable so it is not bad to have 3 skills there.
I'm however not particulary happy with melee/unarmed/throwing/traps, think melee should be combined with unarmed, let one not care if it is punch, thurst or swing weapon, and have just one melee skill covering them all.
If you look further gambling is pointless, science could meet repair, barter speech, and doctor first aid.

BAD ideas, its Fallout based game not new one.
This affects power of single character and need for alts, not gameplay as it is. More skill you have, the less can you character do and thus it encourages you to make more of them, because multiplayer chapter of this game does not cover it well. (but to be honest you'll see people doing this even in bigger MMOs).
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »

Because just because I'm a pretty decent shot with a rifle doesn't mean I can wield a rocket launcher.
but if you are good with an RPG you can wheld Snipers
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »

but if you are good with an RPG you can wheld Snipers
Hell no, two completly different trainings.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »

Hell no, two completly different trainings.

Thats right, but since we agreed, there should be different skills for every gun (minigun is different than rocket, flamer, laser etc).
Thats not gonna happen, so grouping guns sounds fair. What is now is grouping guns by mystery characteristics of big, not big and so on... i suggested logical skills, like one handed guns, two handed guns. Definately fits better to reality...

But, seriously, why its not gonna happen? How about, the more you fire gun, the more skill you have... oh right, powerbuilds with every gun on 300%.
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

If there is some kind of skill change for combat then it should something like this
Ranged skills:
handguns (every pistol, laser too)
rifles (every rifle, laser rifle too)
heavy weapons (like minigun, laser gatling, plasma rifle)
Something like this though I don't like this idea.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »

Small Gunner can burst with p90 as well as perform simple shots with it. I don't see any reason why he should be able to use smg or p90 in single mode and not a 10mm or 14mm pistol.
Btw, this would be a good idea if it didn't make some (good) weapons useless. Laser pistol is way better than 14mm (even though it's not so "critical") and I believe it would be used way more often, making 14mm less popular (only crippler would use it, not even pistolero).

I think we should change anything in main combat skills (sg, bg, ew). We can talk only about changing some weapons types or discuss melee/unarmed/throwing skills in this pole.

P.S. Jotisz, you would make BGs use what they're using (lsw, minigun, launcher) and SGs only rifles OR pistols. Not fair.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »

Imagine BG character based on luck, (25% crit chance, 220% BG skill). I haven't played with such, but if i could get free 220% in SG to shoot you in the eyes with Sniper Rifle to knock you out and then finish bursting with minigun I would definetly make a sniper/bg.

I don't think you really considered everything I said. If we assume that hypothetically, in the future, it becomes harder to hit people in general based on AC, and harder to crit them, and even more so against characters who specialize in dodging or avoiding crits, generalizing won't be a bad strategy. I never said it wouldn't be good. But if you generalized, you might end up having trouble dealing with either extreme.

And the availability of guns. If it suddenly isn't viable to always have the best possible guns ,that also changes things. As it is, the way you arranged stats and perks would make a character either very mediocre at using both, or gimpy/wasting his time using the other.  And it's not like a Sniper character can't keep an AR or SMG on hand to HURR burst anything that gets in his face anyway. Some of them are competitive with a Minigun, which only does 8-11 damage, even if it does have 30 rounds. A greasegun of all things does 10-20, and has a 20 round burst, besides taking 1 ap less to shoot.  your assault rifles do more  damage. The minigun takes 7ap, and requires 7 strength. There is not a standard Sniper gun like the Sniper Rifle that requires more than 5 str, and you need to dedicate pe to see far enough to make them useful.  Clearly, you wouldn't have a very good character if you aimed to use both with the same skill, especially if you had flaky, random perks to try and do both. You would be very average. And that's not good the way we strong arm, twink build characters.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 01:41:40 am »

BAD ideas, its Fallout based game not new one.

Fonline aint Fallout. if Fonline would be completely like Fallout (story, maps, items, features[gambling?]) then thats kinda other thing(imagine 200-400 players start at arroyo and them all chosen ones ;D).

did Fallout have Nightstalkers? what about odd white maggots which live in cave... or Radtoads? no it didnt, but did someone whine about them, no. whats wrong about changing FOnline universe if it isnt real Fallout?

P.S. if we want balance, we have to test new things...

But, seriously, why its not gonna happen? How about, the more you fire gun, the more skill you have... oh right, powerbuilds with every gun on 300%.

wait what? that kinda sounds interesting IF each weapon would have own skill progression... sadly that isnt possible.. (pistol, smg, rifles, machineguns, explosives, etc)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:45:17 am by Haterade »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 01:46:03 am »

did Fallout have Nightstalkers?

No, FOnline has none either. Besides, you do realize that all the new critters stem from the cancelled Van Buren, official Fallout content developed which just didn't make it in a full game? It's as Fallout as it can get.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 02:03:11 am »

No, FOnline has none either. Besides, you do realize that all the new critters stem from the cancelled Van Buren, official Fallout content developed which just didn't make it in a full game? It's as Fallout as it can get.
Uh......   FOnline DOES have nightstalkers....
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 02:13:17 am »

Never seen one.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 02:19:35 am »

Never seen one.
I used to find them northwest of New Reno. usually in the sandy areas.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 02:20:13 am »

You do realize that they are called Desert Stalkers?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 02:24:57 am »

You do realize that they are called Desert Stalkers?
Ah shit right.  If the wiki would just contain this...  I would've been able to correct myself beforehand.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 02:31:49 am »

I dont like this suggestion, lets keep it as it is, and focus on improving and balancing, shall we ?
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 22 queries.