"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 03, 2024, 09:32:55 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Town Control Overhaul / Whole world gets TC  (Read 2457 times)

Town Control Overhaul / Whole world gets TC
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:26 am »

Long post. Brace yourself. And it's Badger talking about TC. Booo.

RIGHT. Inspired by this thread, specifically this post, I have a few TC suggestions. They're pretty major. Expect your mind to be blown.

1. Every town in the game is assigned a capturable 'Special Location'.

Every town in the game gets a capturable location that exists outside the town. The towns themselves are no longer capturable. As a consequence, the number of 'capturable' locations increases from 6 to 14 (minimum) corresponding to the number of towns ingame. This spreads PvP over the entire worldmap, and thereby creates more opportunities for smaller gangs - the increase in TC areas mean that it's much harder for a gang to hold them all, and the distance between them all makes it logistically more difficult to dominate. Gangs are forced to pick an area they want to control, and more gangs are given a chance.

2. Each special location produces a resource and has special crafting benefits.

Every town is assigned a relevant resource and crafting bonus.

Modoc's Ghost Farm, for example, would produce a lot of brahmin hides for the gang that captured it. The crafting bonus would be that any Leather Armor produced by the controlling gang is automatically upgraded to LA Mk2. Vault City's Research Facility would produce small energy cells, and any laser weapon built there is automatically upgraded. Junktown's Junkyard would produce metal parts, and any metal armour built there would be automatically upgraded to MK.2 (All just examples, not necessarily the way they'd go)

Not all bonuses/resources would be equal, to spread demand for each of these areas. Super organised gangs would inevitably go for the best resources/bonuses. Smaller, weaker gangs would then be more likely to control the less desirable areas. 10mm Ammo Production vs. Micro Fusion Cells, for example. Gangs have to choose between high risk, high competition, high reward, or the less popular areas.

3. All towns are now guarded.

I can only see it spreading the game population wider and encouraging more people into towns. More content is used, as people will start doing the otherwise neglected northern quests. It creates very clear zones = Towns are for questing/trading/etc., capturable locations are for fighting. PvPers get more fighting locations, PvEers get more questing locations. Everybody wins.

What do you guys think?

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Town Control Overhaul / Whole world gets TC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:02:15 am »

Reminds me of something called Domination Mode!

3. All towns are now guarded.

I can only see it spreading the game population wider and encouraging more people into towns. More content is used, as people will start doing the otherwise neglected northern quests. It creates very clear zones = Towns are for questing/trading/etc., capturable locations are for fighting. PvPers get more fighting locations, PvEers get more questing locations. Everybody wins.

Arguments seem pretty fair, however then the more guarded towns you have, the more the server "PvE/casual/nonPvP" population gets spread over the Wasteland. This is not good. Maybe some way to make every guarded town special in its very own way would do the trick.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:13:32 am »

Yeah, but Domination mode seems to require a whole bunch of new scripting doohickies (and I have no idea of progress: if they're beyond the idea phase or totally complete), whereas this is just the same system swapped out to include a lot of new areas.

The main problem would be maps. But I do remember reading that eager mappers are one of the few things that aren't in short supply.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:39 am »

There are some points that I really like. Don't bother for the maps, that's really the least of the problems.
I do see some problems with your ghostfarm example though, as the location will not be on the worldmap by default after the next update.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:03 am »

Reminds me of something called Domination Mode!

Waaaaitt.... a minute......   Isn't this Domination in a nutshell??? :o

;)

But I do like the small (and a particularly HUGE) changes to it though. The huge thing: ALL towns being gaurded would require a MAJOR overhaul because, as we all know, there would be a whole shitstorm of ways to exploit around the gaurds there....  So designing gaurd placement, HP, stats, equipment, etc, this would take I think a whole month if you kept at it and actually tried to get it right on the first try.  It certainly would take more than a business day...

Also, this would give gangs a chance to actually meet each other after battling, sure, they would prolly rage each other but I see some gangs having a good chat with each other.  This may be very unfallouty like sounding, see as these enemies who just killed each other are suddenly talking like friends....  But shit, there's too much hate which causes continuous griefing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:12:47 am by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:21:46 am »

Also, this would give gangs a chance to actually meet each other after battling, sure, they would prolly rage each other but I see some gangs having a good chat with each other.  This may be very unfallouty like sounding, see as these enemies who just killed each other are suddenly talking like friends....  But shit, there's too much hate which causes continuous griefing.

Wow, I never thought of that, but it makes sense. I like it. There's a safe ground attached to that TC location, and the two are much more closely interlinked. Each town has a safe location and a dangerous location. Meaning that there's plenty of opportunity for post fight smacktalk.

And if you control a town's TC area, it's likely you'll spend time in the nearby town too (like the WWP in Redding). There's a chance people not involved might become familiar with the gangs, as they have a physical presence in the town (even if it isn't strictly their town in the sense it used to be).

Hell, people not part of a gang might get involved in patching people up/selling gear before and after fights. If there's an attempted capture in your local area, it's an incentive to visit the nearby town and see if there's anything you can profit from. The idea of a fight starting and a whole host of wasteland parasites descending upon the town to hawk drugs, guns and slaves appeals to me in a very strange way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:24:29 am by Badger »
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:42:08 am »

I don't really do TC so i don't really care one way or another except DO NOT MAKE RENO A GUARDED TOWN. The small gang pvp in reno is fun and amazing, should never be taken away.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:18:51 am »

Nice suggestion, I would like to add some of my thoughts as well:

1. The map where the PvP occurs could be some sort of stronghold, like a base of operations, from which the gang "controls" the town. Would be interesting for a gang to siege a stronghold, rather than just fight on some desolate map.

2. The gang is allowed to set a tax that the merchants charge the players, somewhere between 0%-25%. Hopefully, we can see more complex politics, such as players revolting against a gang because they do not want to pay a high tax.

3. Merchants in towns should be more unique in the type of merchandise they sell. For example, you would find merchants selling dynamite only in Redding, while in Modoc they would not have Metal Armor for sale (it is an agricultural town after all).

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:11 am »

I will be honest. I think this idea is better than mine (which is explained in the post mentioned by Badger). Problem is it seems to share some characteristics with Domination Mode, so I don't see your suggestion getting implemented. I do have faith in Domination Mode, which we all know is eventually getting implemented.

In other words, good one, but don't expect it to become a reality. Anyway remember there are some people who are in PvP gangs but share some opinions with players like you :)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:38:02 am »

I will be honest. I think this idea is better than mine (which is explained in the post mentioned by Badger). Problem is it seems to share some characteristics with Domination Mode, so I don't see your suggestion getting implemented. I do have faith in Domination Mode, which we all know is eventually getting implemented.

In other words, good one, but don't expect it to become a reality. Anyway remember there are some people who are in PvP gangs but share some opinions with players like you :)

Domination mode is supposed to be more open and not restricted to player factions but with a limited amount of players that may participate in the control of certain areas (on behalf of an NPC faction??) for benefits etc. TC as i understand will be left with a no restriction to the number of participants as i recall.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:34 am »

all towns are guarded? no no no.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:35:17 am »

all towns are guarded? no no no.

Did you read the suggestion? The PvP that we have in town, will just be transfered over to some location near said town. So you still have your TC/PvP (what is wanted by "PK/APK") while introducing life and stability into towns (what is wanted by "roleplayers") a win-win situation.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:53 am »

Did you read the suggestion? The PvP that we have in town, will just be transfered over to some location near said town. So you still have your TC/PvP (what is wanted by "PK/APK") while introducing life and stability into towns (what is wanted by "roleplayers") a win-win situation.

no its not win win, because now players need to do quests for example and go to modoc, pkers can wait there and kill them and enjoy that. After this suggestion, random killing could happen only in encounters, that would suck totally.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:30 am »

Something like lineage 2 towns and castles?  :P Good idea!

pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:45:46 am »

no its not win win, because now players need to do quests for example and go to modoc, pkers can wait there and kill them and enjoy that. After this suggestion, random killing could happen only in encounters, that would suck totally.
You say PK can't (gird) camp to blast some people trying to level up with quests? And that's a bad thing?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 22 queries.