maybe
- 9 (14.3%)
I dont think so...
- 4 (6.3%)
no.
- 24 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: thirst and hunger system.  (Read 9275 times)

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
thirst and hunger system.
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:47:33 am »

Suggested before, I simply making my own version here so read careful.

I honestly think the people who made fallout nv hunger system had the right idea but it was totally wasted by how easy it was to obtain these things sadly. (just sayin)

The Hunger system:
Will correlate very closely with ingame time specifically, lets say you start with 0/1000 hunger points.  every hour adds on 3 points.  24 hours times 3 = 72 hunger points. 72 times 7 = 504 hunger points, so within 2 weeks ingame, you Must eat something. the same goes for drinking.

Consequences for not eating and at what levels:

+250 hunger points = -1 charisma.  (yer cranky :P)
+400 hunger points = -1 charisma -1 agility (cranky/tired)
+600 hunger points = -1 charisma -1 agility -1 strength (etc)
+800 hunger points = -1 charisma -1 agility -1 strength - Perception (etc)
+1000 = death.
[P.S. it will not go below 1 of each, also, i know that first level will not affect builds who used charisma as dump stat, but they're the "Strong, powerful, tough." the ones who would be able to get through such a set back without being hindered much.]

Benefits from eating:  No consequences and no death.  ;)

benefits from drinking and at what levels:

+200 thirst points = -1 perception
+400 thirst points = -1 perception -1 strength
+600 thirst points = -1 perception -1 strength -1 charisma -1 Endurance -1 intelligence
+800 thirst points = -1 perception -1 strength -1 charisma -1 endurance -2 Intelligence
+1000 = death

food level of use:
Fruit -25 hunger points.
Iguana on a stick -50 hunger points.
Strange Iguana on a stick 50% chance -15 hunger points 50% +5 poison.
Meat -75 hunger points (Hey an actual use for it :D!)
Meat Jerky -100 hunger points.
Any new implemented foods will be determined by devs.

Drink level of use:
Nuka cola -75 thirst points.
water bag -100 thirst points.
All booze will add thirst because alchohol only drains your body of needed fluids.
Maybe all should be -50 thirst points?

Of course, we will need a food/drink gathering system.  Well, first proposal for the ones with money to buy food, in each and all town, there be an npc that through dialogue sells food and drink for 100 caps for food and 150 caps for water[water will be given in an water bag or nuka cola]. (if there isnt already)

Alternatively, For water you could just use that water bag you get once you first register and fill it up at a well easily if there is one.

also, the food  you get as a newbie, will be useful rather than random stuff your just handed...  (if you survive with it that is)

Some answers to possible questions:

"Will you becoming hungry/thirsty will offline?"
No.

"Won't this make this game too harsh for newbies?"
No, brahmin shit shovelling eventually gives enough caps to support this without too much hassle.  Shovel that shit for your life!!

"Will we be able to harvest food from animals?"
I dont see why not but i doubt that its necessary since you can find fruit in many encounters, but maybe if this is implemented, it could be that fruit plant encounters are far more scarce, and that eating animals could become necessary...  you'll need a knife.

"Cannablism?!?! :D"
I hope so, and maybe, just maybe, there can be a cannibal faction for cannibals only?   (I dont know whether to make it a perk, you decide.  perk to have the nerve to eat other humans?  Or maybe a trait! :D)

atm, when system is more refined, it could be made harsher accordingly, as now i think it is too lenient.

This part of the game would need to be very well defined in the beginning of game registration.

I think that's about it, comments, suggestions, all is welcome. (Except obvious spam and trolling.. of course.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:57:08 am by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
Re: thirst and hunger system.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:53:07 am »

i like it mich but with a minor change like a place in ncr where they give away 1 free food and drink a day mostly for noobs who have trouble getting caps. :)
Roaming the waste again.

Snackish

• God damn cows.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:20 am »

you know i voted no straight away before actually reading anything because of how hard it could be to implemant but this sounds like a great idea and gives me a reason to why i carry cheez puffs around with me everywhere.
+1 if i can change my vote.
The most satisfying thing is bursting a cow for 460 damage, makes me tingle all over.

avv

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:31:30 am »

I'm all for survival because it has potential to make us act like wastelanders but your system has a flaw: it only makes us gather food but not act like wastelanders. If we can just buy our food from npc or farm it from wasteland, then we just need to farm and grind as usually and transfer some of it to alts. Nothing really changes, except the ammount of grinding.

So what's the potential? I'll explain. If you get food mainly from npc factions that means you have to follow their rules. If you follow the rules of npc factions, you act like a wastelander. The whole rule part has to be revisited though, as seen with current idolized-abuse.
In addition the food cannot be allowed to be transferred as items. When you get access to food, your char would eat it right away.This prevents you from doing something with one char and then doing the exact opposite with another. You have to be loyal to your npc faction.

The last thing are the downsides. I don't really care what happens between the 1000-0 starvation points as long as it's not nerve rackingly annoying. What matters most is what happens if you just don't eat. The food system has potential to strongly discourage griefing like bombing and suicide killing in safe towns. If you die, you get more hunger, if you die in hunger you cannot perform the typical actions needed to interact with the world. These would be: crafting, fighting, using skills and even looting. All you could do is to go back to your npc faction and get more food.
I mean if you constantly die it shows that you're clearly not respecting your character or the world you live in.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:16:38 am »

You forget about those who don't give a shit about their chars. Perhaps it's dedicated suicide bomber char, which is deleted afterwards and created anew.

Another problem is: besides of leveling and equipping, you'll waste even more time just to have some fun. And what happen to the char, while you're offline for a week?
Permadeath? Come on.

Lowering stats: ok. Death from malnourishment: no. Prepared food: small bonus to stats. (like drugs)

avv

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:35:47 am »

Lowering stats: ok. Death from malnourishment: no.

Not dying from malnourishment could be actually good. Chars won't die in hunger & thirst but they simply become very weak and unable to interact with the world.

What comes to stat-loss they seem pointless. They just force us to click and micro more. It'd be better if the food-bar acted only as your personal food storage and downsides would show only when it reaches like under 100.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:05 am »

I think any Hunger system would have to work by offering boosts, rather than punishing. In terms of F:NV it would be copying the bonus XP from being well rested, rather than copying the stats dropping.

Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

avv

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:37 am »

I think any Hunger system would have to work by offering boosts, rather than punishing. In terms of F:NV it would be copying the bonus XP from being well rested, rather than copying the stats dropping.

Then it's just another resource to farm.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:18 pm »

Then it's just another resource to farm.
So it is when you need it to even survive. ( unless you're able to buy everything with ease ).

Also if could've either be something you just get everywhere ( like xander roots or flint ), or something midly annoying ( like junk ), something annoying and requiring tools ( fiber ), or just a chore ( killing rats ).
Ofcourse it's still just another 'Bat'.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Alvarez

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

Why not crafting a simple roasted rat meal from a rat meat+two flints+one wood? This way XP farming would be actually hunting for food.
Or including meat of tough critters as a drug component? (Ok, that would be problematic for non-combat chars)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:00:58 pm by Alvarez »

avv

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

So it is when you need it to even survive. ( unless you're able to buy everything with ease ).

Why having yet another resource to grind is bad is because it doesn't change anything. You grind for guns, drugs, caps, armor, base and if food is required, then you farm for it aswell. When you got all this amassed, you just go and do whatever you want which in some cases are killing people pointlessly and suiciding.

If food is going to be implemented, it better be a feature that changes our goals and ideology. If it's just another option or resource to grind then it's good as useless.

Rascal

• FOnline2!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »

that idea is just a new way to make the game more annoying :F

big NOOOO!

Alvarez

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »

Why having yet another resource to grind is bad is because it doesn't change anything. You grind for guns, drugs, caps, armor, base and if food is required, then you farm for it aswell. When you got all this amassed, you just go and do whatever you want which in some cases are killing people pointlessly and suiciding.

If food is going to be implemented, it better be a feature that changes our goals and ideology. If it's just another option or resource to grind then it's good as useless.

So how would farming change our goals and ideology, if one can just kill a farmer or/and rob him for food? Lolz, n00bs get us our stuff, pardon for shitspeak.

Wouldn't a farmer enjoy some kind of guild protection, like VC citizenship? You farm raw material, get it to the guild, they transform it to the end product, players buy it.
If you kill a farmer, you get shitty reputation and you won't be able to buy food. (In this case, not as item, but as service, which can't be stored in your inventory)

So you won't kill farmers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:46:22 pm by Alvarez »

avv

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

Wouldn't a farmer enjoy some kind of guild protection, like VC citizenship? You farm raw material, get it to the guild, they transform it to the end product, players buy it.

If you can farm something alone, you can be self sufficient and do whatever you want.

If you kill a farmer, you get shitty reputation and you won't be able to buy food. (In this case, not as item, but as service, which can't be stored in your inventory)

Then you get that food with an alt.

So how would farming change our goals and ideology, if one can just kill a farmer or/and rob him for food? Lolz, n00bs get us our stuff, pardon for shitspeak.

Not farming. I've been against farming all along. Read this.
The real question is: how food & drink system can change our goals and ideology. Answer is it will if following requirements meet:

1. The food cannot be transferred between chars.
2. It is mainly received from npc factions, getting food alone without help should be very challenging or limited to certain builds (fe. only outdoorsman chars)
3. It is mandatory for everyone
4. Being malnourished quarantines your char from most ingame activities (crafting, fighting, looting, skill usage)

The reason why these four rules have a chance to alter our gaming style is that number one makes alting more difficult. The number 2 gives us some rules to follow, making it not recommened to just kill everyone. Number 3 prevents players from total anarchy and from choosing unfalloutish playing styles. Number four means that if player doesn't respect the world the game is set, or his character he is isolated from the world while still giving a chance to recover but not fool around.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »

This was just a rough draft, I'll try working on it some more later.  btw:

There should be one vendor ingame and thats in ncr, don't remove my twin Micky!  And leave the nuka cola dispenser dude in Junktown...

The others i suppose can be left alone or removed of whatever food vending they had.

Also, maybe the food can be more expensive, think of it as, visitor's tax, because you are not actual citizen of population so tack on 100-150 caps.  (Makes becoming vc citizen useful for newb)

Trying to achieve everything and anything is a grind, in a game you grind to kill all the enemies, you grind to gather loot, you grind to craft, you grind to get a quest done....... etc.  I guess it just depends on how fun that grind is whether it's stamped with the "Grind" symbol.

When you die from malnourishment +1000 hunger/thirst points, its reduced to +800.  BUT:  Everytime you die with less than +799 hunger/thirst points 100 (200 for harshness?) is tacked on.  There are of course alts but thats not going to change just give opinion on this one if there weren't alts in your mind....
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 24 queries.