"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 16, 2024, 03:09:54 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pickpocketing/Tagging  (Read 8941 times)

Pickpocketing/Tagging
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »

Hi im pretty new to the Fonline forums/game and now im pretty setup with a tent and guns and armour etc. BUT The one thing that gets on my nerves IS Idiots walking around pickpocketing you and tagging you to bug you and pickpocket you my suggestions are

1.Remove pickpocketing
2.Make a option to allow them to tag you for instance *John has tagged you allow? Y/N"

Thanks please hope you read and THIS WORKS!
Hmm i wonder what this is *Looks at dynamite on the floor* *thinks to self* " Why isnt anyone taking it?" *reaches over and grabs it* * BOOP BOOP BOOP* "OH SHIT ITS A DYNAMITE" *BANG*

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
Re: Pickpocketing/Tagging
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »

1. why do so? its easy to avoid thiefs...
2. why do so? you can throw them out from party on world map...
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »

Mostly i think PickPocketing is one of the worst ideas noobs do it 24/7  and earn more items than us working for it. it annoys me so much how the noobs can just get away then if you try to pk them you die instead!
Hmm i wonder what this is *Looks at dynamite on the floor* *thinks to self* " Why isnt anyone taking it?" *reaches over and grabs it* * BOOP BOOP BOOP* "OH SHIT ITS A DYNAMITE" *BANG*

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »

As I stated already - its easy to avoid them, so why do you even bother about it?
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:33:36 pm »

move to unguarded town, they are safer

Kanly

• The future is today, worry about it tomorrow!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »

Mostly i think PickPocketing is one of the worst ideas noobs do it 24/7  and earn more items than us working for it.

The opposite, they waste a lot of time, when in 5 minuts they may go find the right encounter with unity or master army and ncr, and get away with loot for many k caps.

Sometime I think that thieves are the roleplayers of the wasteland, but probably they are trolls, and from your nick you too.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16:23 pm »

First off, no.

This suggestion only consists of noob-safeties in NCR that would just make it more annoying for everyone else. You would just get rid of a skill that's always been part of Fallout games. Don't just say "I hate thieves!!! Delete them all!". Instead, try to think of a solution that would change how the skill works, not just get rid of it because you can't think of anyway to prevent someone from stealing from you (aka walking one hex away from them, staying alert).

Edit: Besides this, thievery is one of the most unproductive skills in the game, as you can get as much loot in 10 minutes fighting in encounters as you would in all day of trying to steal in NCR. Yet, people just don't get that, so they continue to fail to steal the 2 caps I have in my inventory.

The second suggestion would just make it annoying when players are using the tagging feature the right way, as in wanting 5+ other people to join their party to hunt. That, and a group wouldn't be able to run from an encounter together, because they would have to accept it before going, wasting precious seconds. A better solution would be to have some sort of tone or alert-message saying that "_____ has joined your party" without having you actually having to waste time to accept them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:22:13 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:53 am »

A better solution would be to have some sort of tone or alert-message saying that "_____ has joined your party" without having you actually having to waste time to accept them.

This sounds better but it'll dull your own awareness in checking if you've been tagged because if you don't notice it now you'd get yourself killed, your stuff looted from tent if you're silly enough not to check or place your tent right next to town giving yourself little time to check.

Also with high enough outdoorsman and carrying little of value on yourself you could take them on a short trip (if they decide to leave first) or a long one (they hope to kill you in encounter or hopeful you are heading to tent)  8).

cogliostro

• No Parole from Rock 'n' Roll, all the way from L.A
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:20 am »

That little thieves, hehe.
I was once buying a tool at NCR and someone came and pick a key from my pockets quicker than I could realize, due to my high ping. Anyways, that kind of things do happen, and it is more fun somehow because it makes a more realistic game experience, hehe. Take it easy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:49:23 am by cogliostro »
Let them eat metal!

sander

• I can see ya reading my posts.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:50 am »

Remove pickpocketing? I totally disagree.

Probably some rework of pickpocketing system should be done to prevent 4lvl "skilled"-traited(160% steal skill) alts from stealing each 30 seconds.
Let it be 10 mins cd,that could be reduced to 30 seconds only by maxing steal skill + picking some high-level perk (e.g. make "master thief" perk reduce steal cd by a half in addition to what it does now).

P.S.: not sure if steal cd is still as low as it was earlier.
P.P.S.: Another way to make pickpocketing "harder" is to reduce chances of stealing drastically. Or just add a Luck-roll to it. Or just scale it with Luck in such way, that the thief with 300% steal skill could have 300% steal-check only if this thief has 10 Luck and his target has 1 Luck.
(sry for bad syntax in last sentences).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:14:12 am by sander »
My English sux. I bet your Russian sux better.©

wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

Here we go again...
Nerfing steal will only make the trolls make more alts and multi-quick-log.
Gambling and speach has been a part of fallout but it's not a part of fonline... stealing could join those skills.
This skill has its origin (like all rpg) in DnD, but there was a skill called Spot, there was a skill vs skill roll, putting skill points into spot could make you thief-proof. There's nothing in FO that stops thiefs, if he dosen't run away,you can shoot him if he fails, if a npc seen that, you can pick up your items if you get to the body first. That's a lot of ifs.

The world would be so much better if only people would listen to me...
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

avv

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »

This skill has its origin (like all rpg) in DnD, but there was a skill called Spot, there was a skill vs skill roll, putting skill points into spot could make you thief-proof. There's nothing in FO that stops thiefs, if he dosen't run away,you can shoot him if he fails, if a npc seen that, you can pick up your items if you get to the body first. That's a lot of ifs.

Anything that has to do with "more points spent on x equals better chance to win" always leads to minmaxing and alts. Only allowing players to affect their chances to success with their ingame decisions breaks this pattern. 

What makes least ammount of sense is that players can't stop someone from stealing you by any other way than running away. Thieves basically play tag in safe towns and nobody can stop them if they just don't get caught. It has always baffled me how can someone come next to me, take my items and walk away protected even if I withnessed the whole act?

Wouldn't it be reasonable that even if thief succeeds to steal, he becomes unprotected but there's no mention about it from guards? So if the victim notices that something was indeed taken from him and he knows who did it, he can just shoot that thief. This way the steal skill% only calculates if you manage to grab the item, not whether nobody saw it or not.

The world would be so much better if only people would listen to me...

Ohohoh, first you gotta listen to others  ;)
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:54 pm »

What makes least ammount of sense is that players can't stop someone from stealing you by any other way than running away. Thieves basically play tag in safe towns and nobody can stop them if they just don't get caught. It has always baffled me how can someone come next to me, take my items and walk away protected even if I withnessed the whole act?

Wouldn't it be reasonable that even if thief succeeds to steal, he becomes unprotected but there's no mention about it from guards? So if the victim notices that something was indeed taken from him and he knows who did it, he can just shoot that thief. This way the steal skill% only calculates if you manage to grab the item, not whether nobody saw it or not.

The only reason you know and see is because you're looking for it. Normally you would only notice at some point that you've been stolen from but don't know the where and when.
It's not reasonable for thieves to become unprotected when they didn't fail.

avv

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

The only reason you know and see is because you're looking for it.

That's pretty obvious. Wouldn't it be sufficient if careful players could keep their belongings and deal wasteland justice instead of being forced to play tag? I mean the game should reward smart gameplay and discourage carelessness or otherwise it turns into circus.

It's not reasonable for thieves to become unprotected when they didn't fail.

It is if they steal crudely without any finesse. Think of it as purse-robbery: A thief grabs an item and makes a run for it. Better thieves would steal so that there was no trace, too bad the game doesn't have much additional options for thieves to use than target someone with steal skill. It'd be completely okay to implement some further sneaking features to be utilized by thieves if obvious stealing would result in getting caught. You haven't got anything against challenge do you?
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

That's pretty obvious. Wouldn't it be sufficient if careful players could keep their belongings and deal wasteland justice instead of being forced to play tag? I mean the game should reward smart gameplay and discourage carelessness or otherwise it turns into circus.

It is if they steal crudely without any finesse. Think of it as purse-robbery: A thief grabs an item and makes a run for it. Better thieves would steal so that there was no trace, too bad the game doesn't have much additional options for thieves to use than target someone with steal skill. It'd be completely okay to implement some further sneaking features to be utilized by thieves if obvious stealing would result in getting caught. You haven't got anything against challenge do you?

Wasteland justice can only be dealt when the thief is caught in the act.

I can only speak from personal experience, but not all thieves run away after a successful steal.
Also sneaking wouldn't be an option, it's useless in shops and crowds.
Thieves hide in plain sight in crowds as there's less chance to get noticed.
Again, the only reason it's obvious is the isometric view you have and your character doesn't have.

As for challenge, it would be more likely to go the way of con artists.
1 distracts you, the 2nd steals from you.
Not a change, as you can still see it with your isometric view, which goes for every "solution".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.