"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 09:19:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Keepin the crap out of the Suggestions Forum  (Read 4225 times)

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
Keepin the crap out of the Suggestions Forum
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »

Intro:
So I just had a talk about suggestions and the whole trolling and stuff that happens here.
It's a tough job to read all suggestions, i know, because i did it at everyday until one week ago.
Now there are a lot of troll, reposted, stupid suggestion, but also very good, sunken suggestions.

I would like to introduce a system that points out good suggestions to the developers to make it easier to read through decent suggestions without spending too much time. This system would safe a lot of work and nerves, for devs to look for nice ideas and for moderators which need to keep the forum clean of garbage.

Now to the system...

Add a vote-system for the suggestion forum to every thread made.

The Look:

The mechanism:
You can sort by score to see which suggestion is currently most famous by forum users.
Why score? Devs decide which suggestion is implemented, not players!
This is an optional feature which helps dev to spot presumably good suggestions, it is not mandatory to pick these suggestions.

Suggestions which reach a score of -x are autojunked.
Why autojunked?
To help forum-moderators to sort out crappy/troll/reposted-without-new-ideas-added suggestions.
Isn't this abuseable?
No you can vote +2, +1 and -1, so decent or even better suggestions wont get junkvoted by some forumtrolls.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
Re: Keepin the crap out of the Suggestions Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:36:54 pm »

I was just told this is impossible with forum-software.
If this is correct, feel free to junk this.

edit: seems it is possible.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:03:17 pm by Andr3aZ »

Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:55:56 pm »

Impossible? Nope.

Quick googling for few minutes and you can find a plugin which does something similar:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1313

Maybe you can find even better plugin from that site.

e. For checking more carefully, that plugin actually doesn't support this version of SMF. But it's not impossible to do that. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:02:53 pm by Opera »

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:25:30 am »

i think the auto-junk ahould de at -10 votes,cuz a tool can foe -1 at fist time
also the score of his ideea shoud be over 9000

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:33:04 am »

the score of his ideea shoud be over 9000

Over 100000000000000.

I really hope this suggestion becomes reality.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:06:22 am »

Better would be a system where each suggestion is viewed by forum staff before it gets posted on Suggestions forum. Forum staff consists of GMs, Dishonest Abe, RJ, Misiolap, CptRookie, etc; these people are aware of what has been suggested before and what isn't worth suggesting.
Now that is for keeping the crap out of suggestions forum, but it can be made together with your idea, which isn't bad.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:02:16 pm »

I do like this suggestion. It can be daunting to look trough the vast amounts of material on the suggestion board, trying to filter out the things that don't fit from the good ideas.

Not sure if this will be possible with the current SMF (1.x) version. We might consider using some external tool, like the folks over at Ubuntu are using (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com) although I personally like having it all integrated into the forum more.

avv

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »

I've seen this kind of system at work, pretty hard to show an example since the forum which used it got overhauled and the whole thing disappeared.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:03 pm »

Yah, the new Dystopia forums are really shitty, after the devs started to go business. Sadly i got no old screenshots to show the thing here.
But if you sort your forum view after "Score", like i showed in my image, it would be look pretty much the same as back in the working system.
I can only show you an old suggestion which was autolocked due to user voting reached -10. As you can see, my post is the last one, after that this was automatically locked, i was no moderator there and no moderator manually locked it.
Link : http://punyhumangames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=19803
This shows an ideal example how a crappy/troll suggestion (the OPs argument is : because its too much!) is sorted out of suggestions without any work of moderators/devs.

I've seen this kind of system at work, pretty hard to show an example since the forum which used it got overhauled and the whole thing disappeared.
psssst... look at the filename of my example picture  ;D

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:04:32 pm by Andr3aZ »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:11 pm »

But doesn't this mean any troll gang can all make forum account and make a bunch of -1s and destroy threads to troll people as well?  I don't like this suggestion that much...
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »

But doesn't this mean any troll gang can all make forum account and make a bunch of -1s and destroy threads to troll people as well?  I don't like this suggestion that much...

read the suggestion again please...

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »

read the suggestion again please...
Isn't this abuseable?
No you can vote +2, +1 and -1, so decent or even better suggestions wont get junkvoted by some forumtrolls.
30+ gang making 30+ forum accounts all -1 a thread does not solve this -.-.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 11:31:46 pm »

I can't wait for all these botnets to start minusing all suggestions and automatically junklock them :> The "suggestions" forum being totally clear - yay! No more need to read all the suggestions, devs.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:11 pm »

30+ gang making 30+ forum accounts all -1 a thread does not solve this -.-.

Then a 30+ gang supporting the suggestion would all +2 a thread and we're at +30.
This system is tested and worked perfectly in a community where the number of forumtrolls would be almost higher than here. I cant believe someone would really do such excessive trolling as trolls usally dont really care about suggestions and dont even read them, they're busy trolling ingame  ;)
As for last resolve, a moderator can still fix things up if shit hits the fan.

I can't wait for all these botnets to start minusing all suggestions and automatically junklock them :> The "suggestions" forum being totally clear - yay! No more need to read all the suggestions, devs.

Is that statement serious ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:38:40 pm by Andr3aZ »
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:38:20 pm »

No more need to read all the suggestions, devs.
That part is clearly showing that I was ironic.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 5.49 seconds with 23 queries.