Poll

Do you like this idea?

Yes
- 48 (84.2%)
No
- 9 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gaining experience  (Read 5858 times)

Gaining experience
« on: March 27, 2010, 05:57:00 am »

Everyone knows, that exping on crittes is so hard and boring (after gaining first levels), that players go for other ways for exp, like using bots for first aid or using many kinds of exploits. The idea of deacrising experience for killing is great, and realistic (cause you learn how to kill each critter and it becomes easy for you), but it's too nerfed now. After killing the most-giving-expierience critters it's become senseless to exp on easier ones, cause it obviously gives to small experience. This is the moment when players start combining and use things mentioned earlier.

I think the solution to this problem will be returning the initial experience that we gain for killing critters after some time. For example we killed 30 centaurs, so the experience for them is minimal. Then we don't kill this specific critter for some time (hours, day? It's need to be balanced of course), and after lapse of this time we again get initial standard exp. This is realistic for me, imagine - after those 10-20 kills you are expert of killing each critter, so you don't gain more expierience, but then you do something else and you simply don't practice anymore killing creatures. This means you forget how to best kill each animal. And you again get more exp. This will make exping sensible and interesting, and at the same time players won't use bots and exploits so often.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:59:58 am by Samurai »

avv

Re: Gaining experience
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:50:07 am »

Cannot support this idea because grinding encounters is basically a powergaming method. This game shouldn't encourage to kill hundreds of wasteland creatures for experience.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11:14 am »

Cannot support this idea because grinding encounters is basically a powergaming method. This game shouldn't encourage to kill hundreds of wasteland creatures for experience.
... or crafting thousands of bullets, or healing hundreds of HP, or wandering across worldmap and avoiding encounters.
C'mon, there is always some way for "powergaming" and person playing 2-3 hours per day will always be behind no-life grinder, that makes only a short break for pee. If we start to search in any possibilities for fast xp gaining and disable them, soon there will be nothing more to do than staying in NCR and chit-chatting.

+1 for Samurai's idea.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

avv

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:31:05 am »

... or crafting thousands of bullets, or healing hundreds of HP, or wandering across worldmap and avoiding encounters.
C'mon, there is always some way for "powergaming" and person playing 2-3 hours per day will always be behind no-life grinder, that makes only a short break for pee. If we start to search in any possibilities for fast xp gaining and disable them, soon there will be nothing more to do than staying in NCR and chit-chatting.

Comparing the encounter grinding to some other as silly exping methods doesn't make it sound any more rational. But you got it right that players will always find the most effective ways to get what they want.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:07:12 am »

Gaining experience is pretty much hardcore in FOnline since the day one. Imho GAME should be designed to be enjoyed and not to frustrate players. Now its all just luck based (not your char stat). You travel around world map with gathered items and boom ghoul scavengers. Before you even start to run you are dead and you can do absolutely nothing bout it. Game should be developed that way so you can play it and die only when you take that risk and gamble and not when you are not lucky enough and game rolls YX and you encounter badass bastards with guns...

I think that with current game mechanics FOnline will never be enjoyable game for solo players. There are just too many hard-core mechanics that frustrate people or even worse its designed with many timesinks. I can't help it but I think that http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=2512.0 could help this.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:09:39 am »

Everyone knows, that exping on crittes is so hard and boring (after gaining first levels), that players go for other ways for exp, like using bots for first aid or using many kinds of exploits. The idea of deacrising experience for killing is great, and realistic (cause you learn how to kill each critter and it becomes easy for you), but it's too nerfed now. After killing the most-giving-expierience critters it's become senseless to exp on easier ones, cause it obviously gives to small experience. This is the moment when players start combining and use things mentioned earlier.

I think the solution to this problem will be returning the initial experience that we gain for killing critters after some time. For example we killed 30 centaurs, so the experience for them is minimal. Then we don't kill this specific critter for some time (hours, day? It's need to be balanced of course), and after lapse of this time we again get initial standard exp. This is realistic for me, imagine - after those 10-20 kills you are expert of killing each critter, so you don't gain more expierience, but then you do something else and you simply don't practice anymore killing creatures. This means you forget how to best kill each animal. And you again get more exp. This will make exping sensible and interesting, and at the same time players won't use bots and exploits so often.
What if you kill centaurs, instead of xp gain restoring about time, how about it restores while killing other creeps. I mean, you kill 30 centaurs, get shit xp from them, to restore it, you gotta kill 100 other creeps (Dont mind the numbers, its just an example).
I give a fuck.

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »

Eve Online is not for solo players too, however many people play it...
+1 for the Samurai's idea, it should definintly take time...

Blubber we miss You!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:12:43 pm »

Let's talk about other way of getting experience - let's start with quests - there is no way to gain 21 lvl by doing it, and even when devs add a lot of them, it will be still impossible. They are good for start but that's all.

Crafting - it's also too nerfed and near to imposible to get 21 lvl by this, but besides this -  let's say that after looong long boring time you will get this 21 lvl by crafting. To achieve this you must tag some kind of guns (bir or small or energy), and you MUST tag science and repair, cause to craft most-giving-exp things you need high science and repair. It means, all other skills would be useless, such as First aid, Doctor Sneak and many others. Another thing is - what if I want to do some silly warrior, which can't repair, but he is great in fight? He won't get a chance to have 21 lvl?

This wipe was really great and lot of changes are just perfect, more and more people are coming to this server. But this exping problem is big minus, which scarry away not only old, but many new players from game.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:23:12 pm by Samurai »
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:16:50 pm »

Well, the problem is that the main source of XP should be quests. Killing things and crafting items should be a small bonus, but by no means should they be the way your character levels up. That's why levelling up feels like a grind right now, because the main ways of getting it are just grinding one thing or anything.

So. QUESTS, PEOPLE. THEY ARE THE FUTURE. If you want levelling to stop being a chore, start insisting on quests. This also cancels out the powergaming element of grinding FA or whatever, because it'll be a lot less efficient than just doing quests and playing the damn game.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 02:20:04 pm »

Badger, as I said earlier, even when devs will add lof of new quests, it will be still impossible to gain higher lvls.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

Badger, as I said earlier, even when devs will add lof of new quests, it will be still impossible to gain higher lvls.

Why? If there's a minimum level requirement, they can give out a decent amount of xp.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »

This amount of experience is just too small. And devs will have to add milions of them to have a chance to gain 21 lvl. Just make every possible quest now and tell how high your lvl will be ;> Maybe this will be possible after a year or smth, but not in near future.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »

normal players dont cheat no matter whatever exp they get by playing normally
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »

Vedaras agree ;> But it doesn't change nothing, exping is still too hard ;]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:46:02 pm by Samurai »

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 02:35:02 pm »

I'd say more quests, and add those with required level that give more exp
and I still support the idea of Samurai from the first post

+1 to Vedaras

Blubber we miss You!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 24 queries.