"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 04, 2024, 09:54:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: toned down crafting system  (Read 4851 times)

Josh

• The Armegeddon Arms Co. is temporarily on hiatus
Re: toned down crafting system
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:56 am »

Virtual economies are almost always going to be whacked. The foundation of economics is scarcity and as we all know there is no scarcity when you reach the higher levels and have rl experience under your belt. I get that mining/crafting is an exploitable way to have unlimited production of guns/armors/caps to satisfy your needs but the same could be said about farming encounters. The only way that the supply side of the game's economy could be kept in check would be for there to exist a limited resource. In pay to play games this would be the one that rl money would buy. As fonline's license prevents that this method won't work but the exchange rates between the pay resource and the rest of the game are usually shit anyways. An alternative would be for the GMs to spend their time making sure that there are only so much of everything in the game, only x sniper rifles in the hands of players, if theres x, then no more will drop until 1 breaks or is sold and disappears. I feel like this would only make the hoarding habit worse and prevent noobs from EVER getting equipment (you swing your hammer but there is no ore left/you can't make that now, there are too many already in existence/raider drops: nothing). On the plus side the lag problem would probably be reduced and unarmed use would go from select few to mainstay of all but a few rich players...
BTW this is all theoretical, I personally would prefer our current system and all its myriad flaws as opposed to the problems that would come with most of these.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:51:29 am by Josh »
When you hear people talking about the great leader of the Armeggedon Arms Co., there talking about me. On the flip side when you hear them laughing about the Plague who stood next to guard and died or something else like that, that would be my brother Ben.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »

Not any more strange than being able to heal a crippled leg. We are all Fallout Jesus. \o/
Ok, actually i can heal my leg, with a stick, some bandages, maybe some anestetic. But if you can heal your eyes, this means that you have eyes on your hands!
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

Virtual economies are almost always going to be whacked. The foundation of economics is scarcity and as we all know there is no scarcity when you reach the higher levels and have rl experience under your belt. I get that mining/crafting is an exploitable way to have unlimited production of guns/armors/caps to satisfy your needs but the same could be said about farming encounters. The only way that the supply side of the game's economy could be kept in check would be for there to exist a limited resource. In pay to play games this would be the one that rl money would buy. As fonline's license prevents that this method won't work but the exchange rates between the pay resource and the rest of the game are usually shit anyways. An alternative would be for the GMs to spend their time making sure that there are only so much of everything in the game, only x sniper rifles in the hands of players, if theres x, then no more will drop until 1 breaks or is sold and disappears. I feel like this would only make the hoarding habit worse and prevent noobs from EVER getting equipment (you swing your hammer but there is no ore left/you can't make that now, there are too many already in existence/raider drops: nothing). On the plus side the lag problem would probably be reduced and unarmed use would go from select few to mainstay of all but a few rich players...
BTW this is all theoretical, I personally would prefer our current system and all its myriad flaws as opposed to the problems that would come with most of these.

Well, current system is on it's way out too. We'll see what the schematic system brings when it comes. Depending on how that works out we can reconvene here :)

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 09:55:46 am »

I'm gonna briefly shed some light on what will future comes and how it addresses your concerns:

a) scarcity of resources - gathering cooldowns are gonna be removed in favor of scavenging locations. On those locations, resources will be spawned occasionaly, on known rates. This means, they will be unlimited, but 'countable' (we know exactly how much is gonna be produced in a world per unit of time, as opposed to gathering cooldowns, where we knew exactly how much one player could produce in a unit of time)
b) high tier stuff - it was never meant to be as easily acquirable. Some stuff will require using those workbenches that are in some PvP/PvE locations. It was always meant to be this way.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

Quote from: scypior
high tier stuff
I personally think that the actual "high tier" should be obtainable only via quests-scavenging in particular places (example: Mariposa, The Glow, SAD...) and not craftable.
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!

Josh

• The Armegeddon Arms Co. is temporarily on hiatus
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »

I'm gonna briefly shed some light on what will future comes and how it addresses your concerns:

a) scarcity of resources - gathering cooldowns are gonna be removed in favor of scavenging locations. On those locations, resources will be spawned occasionaly, on known rates. This means, they will be unlimited, but 'countable' (we know exactly how much is gonna be produced in a world per unit of time, as opposed to gathering cooldowns, where we knew exactly how much one player could produce in a unit of time)
makes sense, will the mines be removed?
When you hear people talking about the great leader of the Armeggedon Arms Co., there talking about me. On the flip side when you hear them laughing about the Plague who stood next to guard and died or something else like that, that would be my brother Ben.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »

makes sense, will the mines be removed?

Don't know yet how exactly it will look like, probably HQ ones will be some kind of dungeon with PvE.
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:23 am »

Don't know yet how exactly it will look like, probably HQ ones will be some kind of dungeon with PvE.

Awesome! Thats the thing wich can make mining fun.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.