"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 03:24:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: make tents permanent  (Read 1655 times)

make tents permanent
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:22 am »

I suggest to scrap tent disappearing feature and make them permanent.

This suggestion is dependant on few conditions I have no hard numbers about.

- Are tents really performance problem?
When i had all alts active I was using about 20-30 tents. From my estimates if there are 300 people at top time about 3000 might be registered. Thats 3000 x 30 roughly 100k tents at max. 100k database table should not be problem on simple selects and i dont know if there are nescessary some big joins. And every tent needs his own tentalt which are not deleted at all afaik.

- Are there enough people whou would appreciate it?
From this suggestion would benefit mostly occasional players. To be able to move around wasteland in car you need parking tents around TC cities with your combat chars and around guarded towns with barter alt. Tent dissapearing pretty much prevents me from playing fully after moth or more of absence.
It also requires everybody to "refresh" their tents once a while. This procedure takes about an hour for every 10 or 15 tents even with car.

- Are workarounds insufficient?
There exists simple workaround by making parking car-spots instead of tents which are more permanent imho but i havent tested them myselves. But they are quiet expensive for even the richer players buying 20 cars is not something they could afford often.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:41:28 am by OskaRus »
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
Re: make tents permanent
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:23:13 am »

When i had all alts active I was using about 20-30 tents. From my estimates if there are 300 people at top time about 3000 might be registered. Thats 3000 x 30 roughly 100k tents at max. 100k database table should not be problem on simple selects and i dont know if there are nescessary some big joins.

There is no sql database backend for such stuff at all. Yes, it would handle tremendous amounts of stuff (zillions of tents), but access would be slow (no way it'd be faster than raw heap access). And then you would need some kind of cache which ends up with using foserv process memory anyway.

Besides, some people stated they'd want multiple tents (could slightly decrease alts, perhaps?). Then - what really would you like to have - multitple tents or permanent tents?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:12 am »

Then - what really would you like to have - multitple tents or permanent tents?

Multiple permanent tents would be best. ;-) If i had to choose one I would vote for permanent tents. Multiple tents would limit alts and allow pvp alts to make all parking tents they need. Permanent tents would be longer to setup and cause many tentalts but then would require no player mainetance.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »

Unless you whant The Lag to come and curse us all, or if you do not mind that, multiple perma tents will be a good ideea

or how about an outo-logger, some machine that will log in with what caracters you whant at a specific time of the day, so you will not love tents wile you are away for more than 4 weeks

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »

Maybe I'm going to be flamed for this. But what if you could just not encounter cars? Nearly everyone would be able to stick with one or even none tent.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

Maybe I'm going to be flamed for this. But what if you could just not encounter cars? Nearly everyone would be able to stick with one or even none tent.
Nothing to be flamed for. Visibłe car locations are a feature that came with an engine, and we simply left it as it was. One could call it: 'by circumstance' not 'by design':) I never liked it, personally.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:00:00 am »

Then - what really would you like to have - multitple tents or permanent tents?

Multiple permanent tents would be best.

I agree with OskaRus. Imo, tents should be permanent (players can go inactive without worrying about losing tents), multiple (less alts), AND we should be able to "add friends" to our tents (less alts and probably even less tents).

how about an outo-logger, some machine that will log in with what caracters you whant at a specific time of the day, so you will not love tents wile you are away for more than 4 weeks

That's not allowed by game rules. Also it simply means keeping the status quo + cheating :P

what if you could just not encounter cars? Nearly everyone would be able to stick with one or even none tent.

Well I guess we'll agree that not encountering tents or bases makes as much sense as not encountering cars :P but I think that tents are better, as they mean you have to move your ass and hunt brahmins, or you can buy them for a relatively low price. By using all car-tents, poorer players, for example a guy who doesn't play so often and doesn't have much time to farm and trade to get his epic fortune.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »

It's not about using cars for tents, but to travel. Usage of the most of tents up there is to safely park cars, or to have some stuff available - stuff you could have in your trunk if it was safe.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

It's not about using cars for tents, but to travel. Usage of the most of tents up there is to safely park cars, or to have some stuff available - stuff you could have in your trunk if it was safe.

Ahh yeah I remember there was a suggestion around about being able to "destroy" your tent and get some hides again, to make us able to move around as nomads. But if we had permanent tents, how would that be useful? we can just make a new tent without losing the old one.

Evan

• The dead are never aplenty enough.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »

I just love the feature that lucky people can camp/steal your car, and that sandstorms demolish your tents if you don't look after them.

Wasteland is harsh, shouldn't it be?

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »

I just love the feature that lucky people can camp/steal your car, and that sandstorms demolish your tents if you don't look after them.

Wasteland is harsh, shouldn't it be?

Yes but it sucks if for some reason you gotta be inactive for more than four weeks and lose all your stuff, especially if you play alone and don't have lots of faction buddies to share your tent with, etc. Permanent tents would reduce the need for dedication and help ocassional players and/or loners instead of making this game even better for those ultra-active members of big factions :P
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 07:57:52 pm »

Let's keep this as simple as possible.

I like:
Not encounter cars.
Multiple tents per char.
Tents permanent.
Feat. to move tents.

I dislike:
Lucky people.
Probably gonna be implemented when i get old and die ;D no offense.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:38:33 pm »

As far as I know after 10 mins of camping car location it becomes un-encounterable,

so heres a cheap-ish way to make safe parking spots,
get a brahmin cart and place in location you want,
camp for 10 mins,

Leave without cart.

You now have a safe parking spot for other cars.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:31:11 pm »

Ahh yeah I remember there was a suggestion around about being able to "destroy" your tent and get some hides again, to make us able to move around as nomads. But if we had permanent tents, how would that be useful? we can just make a new tent without losing the old one.

That woould be nice IMHO. You could just carry 10hides (packed tent) in your trunk and make safe parking spot anywhere. It would make travelling by car very comfortable. But i doubt if that is what devs wants. There would be no stolen cars then.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 06:56:16 pm »

Let's keep this as simple as possible.

I like:
Not encounter cars.
Multiple tents per char.
Tents permanent.
Feat. to move tents.

I dislike:
Lucky people.
Probably gonna be implemented when i get old and die ;D no offense.

Everything he said, plus I'd like the possibility to add (but NOT remove) people to the tents.
e.g.
The owner of a tent brings a player to the tent, the player has the arrow-tag on the owner, the owner writes the command ~teachtheway (or whatever..) and all the players in his surroundings who have him tagged will see the tent in the worldmap

Other ways might be a connection between pip boys and share the map
Or upload the location of the tent in a holodisk and give it to another player

If you think about it, it has sense and it is realistic, when you bring somebody to your home and teach him the way to reach it, he will be able to come back again (but once taught, it can't be forgotten)

If you think it's too unfair then you might do like only chars with IN > 6 can do it

But still, it's a suggestion, it'd be nice to hear what devs think about it
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:05:03 pm by killar_vortex »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.