"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 04:24:44 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animation time depending on AP cost  (Read 3155 times)

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
Animation time depending on AP cost
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »

I suggest this to solve one of the (IMO) big problem of the actual gameplay, based on TB, and not totally adapated for RT.
In TB, the AP cost is equal to the time that an action need to be made, while you can't do something else. So basically, for two player with the same AP (same rapidity of action), use 2 times 3 AP or one time 6 is the same thing. Sadly in RT, it's not, because the time during each animation your AP don't reload, and shot for example 6 times for 2 AP cost far more time than 2 times for 6 AP, which is not logical.

So here come the suggestion: animation time dependant of AP cost. To solve technical problem, it's basically that after the animation time finish, even if the graphical is not, you can act again and regen your AP. If you do another action, the animation stop to play the new action. If you do nothing after, the animation finish normally.
This would also allow the changing of weapon during fight (if you have one in the other hand) which is pretty useless right now because it block you too much time.

PS: I am high while writing this, so if it's completely stupid, just tell me ;p
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
Re: Animation time depending on AP cost
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »

Yeah, very good suggestion, I also thought about writing this down.
This is the best solution - don't let the animation block the actions.
If just some animations would be sped up, this wouldn't solve much, and look ridiculous at all times (while with this only when in fast combat).

Also maybe make changing of weapons cost 2 AP, now I believe it is 0 - instant weapon change would be quite weird...

Lacan

• [TSAR]Sol & [TSAR]Ketur
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:55:28 am »

That would be really awesome, and add sense to RT fighting, but i'm afraid maybe engine just wasn't designed like that.

anyways i vote yea.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:15:42 am »

Hm animations could be speed up, the thing of canceling one animation and skipping to another is more troublesome, but sounds really good anyway. Some animation lenghts could be adjusted, but its easy to say its a hell of work
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:41 am »

Hm animations could be speed up, the thing of canceling one animation and skipping to another is more troublesome, but sounds really good anyway. Some animation lenghts could be adjusted, but its easy to say its a hell of work
What if you got BRoF or fast shot? The canceling is better and simpler...

avv

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:00 pm »

Goddammit why did you have to be high while typing this. This could be the basis how actions are performed in combat, it has lots of potential for strategy. Right now it's pretty awful how every action is delivered instantly and after that you start regenerating action points. It strongly encourages high ap builds because they get many deadly attacks in row before needing to regenerate aps.

So if I got this right: animation is as slow as the time it takes to regenerate the action's aps? If it's attack, the attack is delivered after that time? And after that you can start performing another action. Kind of reverse how it's right now. I like it very much.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »

i may be misunderstanding, avvv, but i think he means that you start with 0 AP, and when you go to shoot someone, your AP must charge to the appropriate amount first.

jan0s1k

• If it bleeds we can kill it...
    • Chosen Soldiers
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 06:11:20 pm »

I suggest this to solve one of the (IMO) big problem of the actual gameplay, based on TB, and not totally adapated for RT.
In TB, the AP cost is equal to the time that an action need to be made, while you can't do something else. So basically, for two player with the same AP (same rapidity of action), use 2 times 3 AP or one time 6 is the same thing. Sadly in RT, it's not, because the time during each animation your AP don't reload, and shot for example 6 times for 2 AP cost far more time than 2 times for 6 AP, which is not logical.

So here come the suggestion: animation time dependant of AP cost. To solve technical problem, it's basically that after the animation time finish, even if the graphical is not, you can act again and regen your AP. If you do another action, the animation stop to play the new action. If you do nothing after, the animation finish normally.
This would also allow the changing of weapon during fight (if you have one in the other hand) which is pretty useless right now because it block you too much time.

PS: I am high while writing this, so if it's completely stupid, just tell me ;p

it's good idea that is on OBT2 maybe it's just bug or it's feature idk here video how it should look
Ice Cream Fight fail

avv

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »

i may be misunderstanding, avvv, but i think he means that you start with 0 AP, and when you go to shoot someone, your AP must charge to the appropriate amount first.

That's exactly how it should happen.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »

Well it's hard to explain with my poor english, so there are some misunderstanding. What I suggest is that some quick actions, like firing a gun with fast shot and brof (2ap) or changing weapon, should let you be able to "skip" the end of animation to directly begin next animation (the time of non skippable animation depending on AP cost). But well, OBT2 style AP is another sugestion that can be good, but too slow IMO (the guys on video are lvl 354 so it's why they shoot more than we would do on 2238 with same system ;p)

jan0s1k

• Chosen Soldiers
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »

Well it's hard to explain with my poor english, so there are some misunderstanding. What I suggest is that some quick actions, like firing a gun with fast shot and brof (2ap) or changing weapon, should let you be able to "skip" the end of animation to directly begin next animation (the time of non skippable animation depending on AP cost). But well, OBT2 style AP is another sugestion that can be good, but too slow IMO (the guys on video are lvl 354 so it's why they shoot more than we would do on 2238 with same system ;p)
on this video I mean just this skipping animations not ap style (what is little fucked in my opinion) ;)

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »

In that case, yeah, totally ;p

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:50:28 am »

You are all wrong!

The AP regeneration "speed" is depending on your maximum AP. The time to regenerate all your AP from zero is FIX. A character with 12 max AP regains AP twice faster than an other with 6 max AP.

jan0s1k

• Chosen Soldiers
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 06:26:13 am »

You are all wrong!

The AP regeneration "speed" is depending on your maximum AP. The time to regenerate all your AP from zero is FIX. A character with 12 max AP regains AP twice faster than an other with 6 max AP.
this topic is about when you have ap for more than for one shot you can shot without w8ing on end of animation

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:55 am »

You are all wrong!

You haven't read the thread, did you? Read it and come back without trying to explain us the game. I doubt you know the AP regeneration as good as me, but this topic isn't about that.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.