"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 12:40:06 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Slow Map speed and Pathfinder  (Read 7919 times)

Re: Slow Map speed and Pathfinder
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:38 am »

Still needs work as seen in this post.

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=8677.15;topicseen

They're still hitting encounters quite often in one square even with OD.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

Heckler Spray

• former Orphans' member, now in TTT Lawyer Agency
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »

An other problem with the low speed on world map, concerning caravans : for now you have to water the brahmin at every 2 squares. Not really important, but quite annoying.
Do you plan to change this ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:12:46 pm by Heckler Spray »
Blood is thicker than water.
-------------------------------------

"Surf Solars Seal of Awesome" - "Amazing Music Taste" achievments
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 01:46:39 pm »

Also the percentage on dmg on car is increasing too much, drive 2 min in buggy and its almost 100% already, hummer is little slower but same problem there

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »

I guess upkeep should indeed decrease in relation to the new prices.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 02:30:23 pm »

let me see, the speed of a persone when walking is about 3-4KM/h, a tile is about 1/4 KM and teh game time is x20 faster than normal time,so the speed we have now on WM is the same speed we got in RL acording to the scales

so,teh distance to NCR and Hub is about 20 KM(let's say) whit 100 outdoorsmen befor the wipe we whoud have arived in about 20 ingame minutes(1 min in RL)

so the slower moving speed is more acordan to realisem

mesaje a.k.a.: you whant more realism? you got it
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010, 02:38:51 pm »

i thoroughly enjoy the new size of the world map. city squares are like vacuums now, and ive got to clean the vacuums out :D
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:18 pm »

nothings better than slow walk speed coupled with a fucking encounter every 2 pixels

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »

As for me (general notions):
- slow speed is cool. The wasteland has grown sooooooo big since I've been here for the last time. I cannot say anything about pathfinder, 'coz I don't use it.
- yeah, more interesting encounters is a must do  8) Why not make some little random quests in the wasteland, like the one in the starting area?
- a bit too many encounters. It really screws up the casual/starting players who are screwed as always anyway. Now they are screwedx2 I, personnaly, am just a bit irritated by the number of times I have to run away with my lvl3 char to travel a few hexes. Lower this or provide more means of transport (as mentioned, caravans could be cool, do not need to be super speed, but safer!

-still to many vs encounters. It is damn irritating to get that loading again just to see a little scrawny scorpion being whacked by the NCR patrol in 0.5 sec. Besides, these vs encounters are an easy  (FAR too easy and exploit-like) way of getting xp and gear - got my first 10mm smg on accidental meeting on lvl1 (NCR vs mauruders; smg thug hasn't been looted by them), got my second 10mm smg on accidental meeting on lvl2 (NCR vs mauruders; I grabbed smg and ran away), got my third 10mm smg on accidental meeting on lvl3 (NCR vs mauruders; smg thug hasn't been looted by them again!) And I played in total for like 3 or 4 hours.. I won't mentioned the "finish off those almost dead critters fighting each other and get heck a lot of xp for nothing" 'coz it was said like thousands times already.

You should be always asked about non-hostile encounters (without any xp) simply because there is no difference between ticking "NO" and leaving the neutral area (only a waste of time).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:06:24 pm by DrapiChrust »
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:10 pm »

nothings better than slow walk speed coupled with a fucking encounter every 2 pixels
When I asked how character level affects encounters, Izual said lvl does nothing with that, but when I was 1st-3rd level I had what you have on screen all the time, sometimes I didn't even move 1 pixel, because I simply clicked on world map and instantly had an encounter without even moving and sometimes even more than 2 times in a row, so I had like 3 encounters on the same pixel of world map, but after 10th-11th level I could easily go from Hub to Vault 13 with only 1-2 encounters, and now I have them really rare, so I'm really happy that I didn't tagged outdoorsman and spent 0 skill points on it, on 1st level I had 22% outdoorsman, now I have the same 22% outdoorsman, but it working strangely better.
Also I have 2nd level alt with almost the same outdoorsman (~20-26 or 28) and he has encounters everywhere, so probably it's just real life luck, but for me character level makes encounters more rare, no, I'm not talking about avoiding them, I'm talking about encounters frequency only, avoiding still the same... with 22% outdoorsman it's a bit rarely, but gives alot XP, so as for me, I still can't find a reason to tag and raise this skill, only if you're taxi-type character, I'm happy with my 22% outdoorsman now, so I simply don't need it, also since wipe I never used TB fight, and really... RT even better than TB, because only few critters running at the same speed as player, and about shooters.. it's not that hard really, just don't run, shoot and stand at the same place and you'll be happy + fights much faster, after wipe I lvling on mutated molerats even faster than pre-wipe because of RT, so right now outdoorsman useless, only again... if you're leader build and simply don't want to spawn on every encounter with whole party.

Edit:
Also forgot to say that I painting stars and other strange figures with red dots on world map on mutated molerats squares, it means that I spending most time on wold map than encounters.. and yes, I have only 22% outdoorsman and 14th level. While my 2nd level alt got these damned encounters almost every pixel, from Hub to Junktown mine he usually have from 6 to 10 encounters, if I'll do that with my main he'll have from 0 to 1 may be 2, but both have the same outdoorsman %, alt may be have even more % on few.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:25:13 pm by RavenousRat »

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »

You're weird ravenous, I have the 21 lvl since 3 days (32 outdoors) and sometimes I have an encounter each pixel, and sometimes not, exactly like when I was lvl 1.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:05 pm »

You're weird ravenous, I have the 21 lvl since 3 days (32 outdoors) and sometimes I have an encounter each pixel, and sometimes not, exactly like when I was lvl 1.
Then it's real life luck, I'm good in encounters, but bad with laser pistol, because miss every second shot with 95% to hit. ^_^
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 08:52:43 am »

Consider checking the Cars thread, they seem to be working hard to make cars much more usable.  However travel speed/encounters involving PC's is still troublesome.  Is there a different table for that?
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00:53 am »

Personally as a new player I dont mind the speed at all.

I have tagged outdoorsman and hence I am at about 50% on it while being lvl 2. If my speed will increase as I increase it then all the better.

Frankly speaking slow speed makes sense to me since as a new player I try not to venture to far away from Shady Sands and the surrounding areas. I guess thats what trains are for when you are still new.

From the point of realism... er... who the heck cares about realism? We are playing a post-apocalyptic world were on one hand you eat lizards and on the other you have laser guns and there are cows with 2 heads walking about. So realism is of no real concern the way I see it.

So people walk faster eh? "Background radiation has mutated the human gene into giving increased speed" tadah! In 2 seconds I found a (rather silly sure) explanation. Give it a day and get me a biology book and I can right you a page for it.

As for the encounters... I think that since the wipe they did drop down a little bit I think. The first post wipe days I would indeed have that 2-3 encounters per hex occuring. Now ussually one, max two but thats rare.

As for the diffuclty of the encounters, thats another matter. IMHO around civilised-guarded cities the 8 surrounding tiles to a city should NOT contain anything but animal encounters, patrols and players and very rarely raiders/slavers. I find it hard to think of the wiki entry about NCR army, rangers and police forces and then meet well armed mauraders next to the city.

In the 16 hexes around the first circle I would expect once again animals, patrols,players the occasional raider/slaver and on extremely rare occasions marauders.

After that its fair game for anything walking about.
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »

So I'm a die hard loner slaver. I've always like to venture the wastes - scavenge, craft, catch some poor AI souls, trade. Now it's pretty much impossible... :(
Here's my question:

Do mercs/slaves occupy a place in car? (never had one .. guess why).

If yes than what's my option to travel faster with 5 slaves? Buy a goddam bus? Before the wipe, to help my self I used male trappers high outdoorsman skill. But that's like 100% only. Does 176% / 202% increase travel speed to some bearable levels?
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 04:09:16 pm »

Does 176% / 202% increase travel speed to some bearable levels?

No
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.