"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 10:39:09 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravans have small quests with them and...  (Read 2369 times)

Caravans have small quests with them and...
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:46:59 am »

I'm wondering if the merchant of a caravan could give you the "quest" of travelling with them to the closest city eighter for caps or to earn a few caps... This might have already been suggested but I just thought of it and felt like its worth mentioning (again :P)  I can't see a way to abuse this feature and it might add a little atmosphere and life to the game's caravans...

It can give players a chance to gain a few rep points with the caravan's town or just travel with them for a bit (unable to loot anything) or just get a quick ride into town or make a few caps + xp... It might even make groups of players "join them" instead of killing them...

Maybe if you encounter a friendly caravan they can even give you a small quest to clear a cave for them (if its in the encounter) so they can camp out for the night? Getcha' 50xp just for searching the cave...

They could even ask you for a random noob item (fiber, rope, fruit, knife, empty water bag, lighter, cats paw, healing powder, etc) getting you a few caps, xp and rep points in return... Getting rep points can help fix that really high -700 with a town... But I can see thieves and what not abusing this for rep points, however if you RP it you can simply consider it their good deed for the day...

Anyhow, reply with some friendly hate mail  ;D
Owner of FOnline 2258! A true Fallout inspired adventure!
http://bit.ly/3syLeTp
http://www.fonline2258.com
Re: Caravans have small quests with them and...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:01:33 am »

Hell yeah that sounds great!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 04:44:34 am »

i jsut loved in fallout2 to go with the caravans has a guard!! :D
" Warning, trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

i loved to do that in fallout 1

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »

This has been suggested many times and we all want it to happen but I think it's not high priority for the devs which, I think, it just as well.

An NPC driven caravan would likely only promote lonerism and solo-questing, where as a player driven caravan would promote teamwork, dialogue and the unexpected. It wouldn't be the same scripted job each time.

Thats why after the wipe I will start a caravan company RP :) I have already tested this idea a bit and it should work smoothly, plus, being a mobile RP project it's much less likely to suffer griefing.

If you're interested in joining (or starting a rival caravan!) you can PM me.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:28 pm »

Good idea!

Maybe the player should be rewarded with Reputation too, for which city ever  he guarded the caravan
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:24:26 pm »

Still a good suggestion, traveling would undoubtedly be like it is now except for the fact you'll be with a rather large group, I would love if the caravan could get caught in player traps (Lets see who wins between the merc campers and the caravan guards ;D )

Handyman

• Zostałem Południowcem !
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:12:17 pm »

well if you have -700 rep your shot on sight by caravans right ?
Why would you argue with someone, while you can kill him.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »

Caravans should have some resources and its up to players to decide how to acquire them, whether by killing them or bartering. Quest would be good too, reward could be resources
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:42:04 pm »

Still a good suggestion, traveling would undoubtedly be like it is now except for the fact you'll be with a rather large group, I would love if the caravan could get caught in player traps (Lets see who wins between the merc campers and the caravan guards ;D )

A player driven caravan can get attacked by other players any time it's grounded...

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »

Indeed, but NPC caravans if they often travel the same route would be fantastic for some pk's to try and kill it/the players along with it. The caravan should spawn in a decently long line to stop people from just waiting with 4-5 rocket mercs and kill them all when they spawn, much better if they cant hit 4/5 with one rocket at the start.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:44:38 pm »

Yea but I don't think the NPC caravan would stand much of a chance. Chances are the people doing it are beginners or at a low level and an organized group of experienced PVP players would have no problem taking out a caravan of NPC guards and PC rookies. It wouldn't be more than shooting fish in a barrel.

A player driven caravan however would be a much more unpredictable force to reckon with as the players running it are probably strong enough to protect their investment and have PvP experience. Not to mention they will remember their enemies and shoot them on sight.

I won't divulge my strategies here but I am well aware of potential pitt falls with running a caravan and will be more than prepared to make sure they don't phase my venture ;) 

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »

johnny I like your idea but what I don't understand is what will the caravans be carrying ?

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:32 pm »

johnny I like your idea but what I don't understand is what will the caravans be carrying ?

They don't have to carry anything, you got to have fun in the end.

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

corosive, i love your idea - caravans could have quests. Clearing the cave so they can camp is a good one. Also maybe their caravan got split up so if you take their quest, it enables you to find the other part of their caravan in the area and lead them back together. Also their caravan could be stuck due to injuries. You heal them and bingo, that enables some assignment. Maybe it's simply traveling with them for caps. Maybe it's taking some items in a different direction. Maybe they ran out of ammo and they are stuck - you give them some ammo and they gladly pay you. Such a thing could open up another way to make some small caps too.

Your idea is a good one and it could open up a ton of fun possibilities for more quests. As for promoting solo play, there's nothing wrong with that - there's already some solo playability in the game and it only makes the game better, not worse.
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.