"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:32:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Town caravans fight each other  (Read 2887 times)

Town caravans fight each other
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:50:29 am »

What if every month in game time there was a chance that two cities would go to war with each other; probably over some sort of political debate or trade disagreement. So that once a war was initiated the caravans would be hostile to each other in the wasteland. To help prevent abuse, the caravans that are at war become hostile to all players (unless idolized or w.e) assuming their some sort of "NCR spy" if you know what I mean. With that in place players would have to ultimately take out both caravans in order to loot everything.

I'm sure it could do other things, but maybe it might be fun to change your hunting habits every in game month depending on wasteland politics?

Good idea? Bad idea?
Owner of FOnline 2258! A true Fallout inspired adventure!
http://bit.ly/3syLeTp
http://www.fonline2258.com

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Town caravans fight each other
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:37 am »

So you enter the encounter, watch, kill the remaining fighter and loot everybody ?
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:12:02 am »

So you enter the encounter, watch, kill the remaining fighter and loot everybody ?

no real difference from encounter of caravan vs. raiders, or caravan vs. some critters... you can do the same... but still I am not supporting this idea....
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:13:28 am »

Except that in caravans vs raiders, raiders lose. And they don't have LSW.

Imo there are better ways to improve caravans.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:39 am »

im sure theres some way to possibly balance it out maybe make them a special encounter only possible a few times every in game month

i just think it adds a little atmosphere and life to the wasteland but hey its just an idea

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:27:06 am »

All caravans are too easy (well SF gives something challence, but anyway)
Just rocket or two or "nice" minigun burst and anyone die.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:39:41 am »

General AI improvements would help allot, instead of firing at the guy that looks funny they should attempt to cripple the hand of the guy with a minigun that's about to burst them. besides that, why do SFC gaurds have 80 hp? give them 200, they are using heavy weaponry after all.  An another issue is the caravan gaurds that don't use their weapons properly, I've seen SFC gaurds rushing to me with combat knifes while they had a combat shotgun in their inventory.

I also think SFC gaurds should wear an ocassional rocket launcher, those are perfect to ruin your day. or give them boosted stats (like some of them using drugs like jet)
Players often buff up with jet and such, why can't they?

Edit: oh yes, an another issue is that most NPC's are easy to defeat if you simply cripple their hands. This is how most people defeat things like enclave patrols or BoS patrols, just cripple their hands and they don't pose a threat anymore.
This is easily fixable, give them a sidearm! simple sidearms are fine, a deagle or a 10mm pistol. Or perhaps even a needler. This way they remain a threat even after they lose an arm.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:44:20 am by GroeneAppel »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:44:49 am »

Yes, NPCs hit points is something I regularly harass the devs with. Most of New Reno NPCs have about 80hp, and you got a point talking about caravans. Hell, NPCs of these encounters should win 100% of times against outnumbered enemies. Boosting their stats is, I think, ways easier than boosting their AI.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »

Why would Caravans (which are meant for trading/guarding the merchant)  fight a "war" to other towns?
Also. Each (or most of the towns) are dependant of other towns, what town A doesn't have, town B exports it to them. Pretty idiotic move to pull a war then if you ask me.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:45:15 pm »

Why would Caravans (which are meant for trading/guarding the merchant)  fight a "war" to other towns?
Also. Each (or most of the towns) are dependant of other towns, what town A doesn't have, town B exports it to them. Pretty idiotic move to pull a war then if you ask me.

Yet it still happens in RL....  ::)
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »

it doesnt have to include San fran caravans or anything... and these caravans would be hostile to the player so you can't just sit there and watch em' fight then loot the gear. You'd have to technically kill both caravans in order to loot anything, making the fight 2x as hard.

It's got lore to it anyways, the wasteland is hard and im sure just sometimes certain towns will eventually disagree with each other and duke it out for a bit...
I was thinking about watching towns like The Hub and Junktown or Modoc going to war with each other. There is a possible way to balance this out but then again it's just an idea... if it doesn't work, it doesn't work but hey! atleast we've gotten this one outta the way...

althought this could work it seems most players do not see how it could, so instead of thinking and posting "Hey its a bad idea, or its a good idea" let's try and find out WHY, and HOW.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:15 pm »

I've seen Gecko and VC caravans fight each other.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:12 pm »

I've seen Gecko and VC caravans fight each other.
Dammit you stole my arguement xD.

Yah this is an perfect example, VC is pissed at ghouls for poisioning water and guess what?  They fucking kill each other so why can't others?  Has there been a sudden ban on town npc fightings unless they have been in canon to the previous fallouts?

Remember Unity would kill everything (including you) if you encountered them with another npc group......
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:31 am »

Also. Each (or most of the towns) are dependent of other towns, what town A doesn't have, town B exports it to them. Pretty idiotic move to pull a war then if you ask me.

For cities north of Shady sands they would have so much more to loose if they tried to fight NCR. You got to imagine that these are towns we are talking about are in a post apocalyptic wastelands. There isnt thousands of people in cities/towns anymore. Also you have to know that when you take any amount of people from such a small community you will have an adverse effect on your own survival.

The only organizations capable for war is The Enclave, BoS and NCR. Each of those groups usually tend to ignore each other so there isnt much reason they would go into war with each other unless something major had happened.

Of course the only reason there would be war in the wasteland would be because the Enclave finally decided to "restore" the pre-government authority.
The way i see it happening is....
1)Enclave would first attack BoS (this would work as at the current time as BoS does not have access to Vertibird tech, along with the Enclave superior technology. One could imagine the fight to be like Helm's Deep without Gandalf)
 -if they succeeded I'd imagine, depending on their fighting situation, would either
  A) Launch a surprise attack on all of the NCR cities. ( I do believe New Reno would join in the fight with the Enclave against Vault City as they both seem close)
  B) Offer NCR some sort of ridiculous surrender agreement which would be called "Ratification of Statehood"

Then again this is FOnline 2238.... if a story line like this was to be accepted into game-play one could see players all around joining the fight for whatever side they choose. I would love to see players traveling to various cities in arm to repel Enclave attacks. Even if this isnt possible an event in which players defended cities against Enclave would be pretty cool.

I'd imagine it would look like the Kansas City Mission in Fallout Tactics except instead of super mutants attack it would be Enclave members.

This location and its associated mission is a highlight of the Fallout Tactics game. Some seconds after you arrive the ghoul town will be ambushed from three directions; north, west, and south.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Kansas_City
FOnline id: xPoncex
GT:xPoncex
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:55 am »

Yah this is an perfect example, VC is pissed at ghouls for poisioning water and guess what?  They fucking kill each other so why can't others? 

It has been a while since I played FO2, but when did Gecko poison Vault City's water supply?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 27 queries.