"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 06:56:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Area controlling  (Read 6799 times)

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
Re: Area controlling
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

I think what Izual really wanted to know, how would the area controlling work... like how would the ownership change.

I guess the fights would still happen on the main area (the gas station/mariposa base) and the surrounding area would be just a bonus for the controlling gang... or is there any other mechanics you meant?

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:18 pm »

I think that if something like that is implemented it will be for NPC-driven factions. Devs already said many times they had great plans for them. By the way, I like it, it reminds me of Cryofluid's suggestion. I would like to know few things more :

So it would be like GTA gang area style? Meaning NCR, Navarro, BOS, VC, Raiders, bandits boundaries would be visible and people would be able to join faction, speak to the commander and participate in some fights like

you+NPC from ally faction vs evil faction (2x more than you?)
you + bandits attacking a VC caravan

Every win would contribute to changing of the border line? That would sound great
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:01 pm »

This area control could be implemented into current TC. When you capture the town it will become yours with all of its defense points near it (controlable squares). This would mean that if another gang would like to take over your town, they will have to first take over area that is near current towns and then proceed into town itself. And stronger/bigger the town is, the better defense it has. So lets say that Den as less advanced city will have f.e. only one defense point (few barricades, foxholes) in the desert so whoever will want to TC the town will have to attack and seize the control of this defense points first. Then they could TC the city itself.

But there could be many variations for this. F.e. some smaller towns will remain without defense points at all but bigger towns such as BH could have 3 defense points. Anyway my point is to create some new PvP style. Currently there are street fights among gangs from 1 vs 1 up to 20 vs 20 but its still the same song over and over again. Something like defense points at certain cities could add new element into the TC (siege) that it would not be only hit'n'run in streets of the city but attackers will have to use different tactics how to penetrate defense walls of the city to fulfill different tasks. Lets say that BH defense points could have 1 or 2 sniper points and one machine-gun nest and attackers will have to get through them or something like that. If anyone here plays Fallout Tactics he knows what I'm talking about. It will be harder to implement without combat stances and actual roofs/foxholes that are in FT but still it could be fun if the map is well designed.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »

Maybe losing your Controlled Areas around town would decrease the town control fight in the town? Like without any areas around the TC would be 10 mins, while with all of them 1hr?
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 05:35:55 pm »

This area control could be implemented into current TC. When you capture the town it will become yours with all of its defense points near it (controlable squares). This would mean that if another gang would like to take over your town, they will have to first take over area that is near current towns and then proceed into town itself. And stronger/bigger the town is, the better defense it has. So lets say that Den as less advanced city will have f.e. only one defense point (few barricades, foxholes) in the desert so whoever will want to TC the town will have to attack and seize the control of this defense points first. Then they could TC the city itself.

Taking a town is already a difficult task and you want it to be even harder? C'mon.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »

I had in my head two options.

1 - If you will take town you get area arround city too + bonuses
or
2 - There will be nothing with towns. We will be have just few places like Mariposa, Gordon or whatever and their areas, and on this places we will fighting and etc + bonuses

There will not be some borders and etc. One place/area there, one there and one there. You will control it, you will have bonuses. Simple
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:12:35 pm by Hololasima »
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:44 pm »

I actually like this. Good idea, Holo!

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »

It's not bad, but needs something more interesting than Speed Bonus on the world map to be worth the effort.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »

2 - There will be nothing with towns. We will be have just few places like Mariposa, Gordon or whatever and their areas, and on this places we will fighting and etc + bonuses

This gets my vote. There should be capture-able locations equivalent to the number of towns. PvP can finally exist across the entire worldmap, rather than the ridiculous north/south divide.

If we could somehow tweak this to finally allow players to respawn at nearby towns, rather than on the other side of the world, that'd be even better. But I can't come up with anything.

It's not bad, but needs something more interesting than Speed Bonus on the world map to be worth the effort.

Resource multiplier depending on how many areas you control? Stuff like slaves are slowly accumulated for use by the faction? Sweet hats?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:24:27 pm by Badger »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 06:25:10 pm »

If we could somehow tweak this to finally allow players to respawn at nearby towns, rather than on the other side of the world, that'd be even better. But I can't come up with anything.

I'm pretty sure we will have alternatives to random respawn before long. Respawn in one of the larger bases (perhaps), in NPC faction, more hotels ... possibly go back to respawning in a nearer respawn place.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:58 pm »

Why not be able to take control of simply ONE square on the map?  I mean, like go in the encounter, use some item, like..  the G.E.C.K. then you will have a quest in your pipboy to kill all npcs on your square, you must then go to worldmap and travel around for one of every enounter and eliminate them, then go back to the marker on map to the G.E.C.K. and you will soon have a couple tents (3) and a box or two, you could upgrade it by clicking on the geck that will act as a terminal blah blah blah im sure you guys know where I'm going with this.

Oh and you could raid or take over these places.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »

Taking a town is already a difficult task and you want it to be even harder? C'mon.

Taking a town is not a difficult task but it needs to gather many people to be able to take it and people don't have always the time to do that (mainly because of work).
I think it is normal that a town would be difficult to take. What we need is a bit more global balancing and towns should not be the only places to be captured. We should have smaller places to control (factories, depots, etc) so even the smallest gangs could control them. And if gangs were not able to capture many areas at the same time they would have to choose which zone they want to control.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:15 pm »

And if gangs were not able to capture many areas at the same time they would have to choose which zone they want to control.

That's why I want to increase the number of locations that can be captured, and spread them across the map. Having somewhere in the region of 10-20 would make for a much more dynamic system.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 01:43:05 am »

That's why I want to increase the number of locations that can be captured, and spread them across the map. Having somewhere in the region of 10-20 would make for a much more dynamic system.

Seconded. Actually, having some capturable locations in the south that wouldn't have rewards large enough to attract big gangs would be a step forward I think. But then again we can't have too many, else the playerbase will spread too thin.

Atom

• Rotator
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:09 am »

This is called Domination and exists as a design doc since several weeks already. Testbed for it is supposed to come around in August, and will continue to expand as a part of a larger NPC factions system overhaul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.