"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 07:16:29 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5 Second Rule  (Read 2316 times)

5 Second Rule
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:04 am »

Think there should be a 5 second period when entering a town where you can't be attacked or attack.

Reason being some assholes camp at a town's entrance with a minigun and instantly kill you as you load into the town.

I spent a few days playing, took a lot of time getting 1,000 caps for enough to buy 10 hides, took it out of the bank, and went off to a good town where someone sells them often. I made it to town to hope to buy some so I could finally make a tent, and was instantly minigunned as I entered and watched them take all I had. Since I couldn't get a tent yet I lost all the stuff I had, like my pistol, shotgun, Magnum, and ammo I had (as well as the 1,000 caps for my tent.

Instead of just starting over, I decided to just quit. The games not balanced enough for me to want to start over again. Something like this will balance it a slight bit, or at least stop the best players from getting anything they want for free by just sitting at the entrance of a town with a gun (it was a guarded town btw, and I hadn't done anything to make the guards not protect me).

High players getting anything they want from anybody + low players constantly getting killed by them = not many new players who will stick around.
Re: 5 Second Rule
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:57 am »

Although I disagree with you quitting over it, I kind of agree.  I can't count the number of times when starting that I got pwnt right on the entrance grid, both in-town and in encounters.

+1 For letting people get their bearings for a few seconds when entering a town.
Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound

iiitachiii

• Sorry Sir, may I snipe ur ass?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:11:24 am »

Agreed.

Fighting with same chances of winning, not entering a town and get instantly dead when loading...

Don't fuck with Brahmins.

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:23:42 am »

Parle?

No, thanks, we already got this for a very short time and it was hated by everyone.

...expect some"funny" people in Modoc entering city during this timeout and shouting insults for hours.
Games are meant to be created, not played...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:47:11 am »

Simple enough to prevent: No doing anything but moving on timeout.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:08:15 am »

I don't think anyone will ever support this again. This was awful. We have town preview to prevent grid camping. And now nearly every town has multiple entrances.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:17:17 am »

Edit: Nevermind, statement retracted after discovering the Town/World Button
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:35:07 am by Jeoshua »
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:20:42 am »

Why would everyone hate a 5 second period to enter? It's literally 5 seconds.

Besides the minigun campers that is.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:45:28 am »

Use preview( in the world map, go over the town , click town world, click the eye in the triangle) and avoid to go with all your treasures in a unguarded town (or to junktown), if you don't love thrilling and risk maybe this is not the game for you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:02:05 am by Flick »
One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:49 am »

Okay, but PREVIEW I've never heard of.... I've even looked through the manual, nothin.  How?

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:39 am »

We must have overlooked it on the wiki. Added to the to do list.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:20:25 am »

Okay, but PREVIEW I've never heard of.... I've even looked through the manual, nothin.  How?

It was an update feature and since the wiki and manual are so out of date of course no one would know unless manually taught by an experienced player.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:30 am »

It was an update feature and since the wiki and manual are so out of date of course no one would know unless manually taught by an experienced player.

I'm gonna be honest. I have no clue if the manual has been updated at all. I wouldn't rely on it for anything. But the wiki, well we try pretty hard to keep it updated. But seeing as there's so few of us working on it, we always need help. If you see something that needs to be fixed, post in the wiki thread here http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=59.0 or come to #2238wiki on IRC and let someone know.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:15 am »

The 5 second thing was implemented badly and now everyone hates it because of stupidity like you'd enter town, theres a guy with a gun about to kill you so you shoot, but you shot to early and nothing happened but you still lost your ap. Now he just blows you away. If there had been a visible timer there would be no problem.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:52:25 am »

Use preview( in the world map, go over the town , click town world, click the eye in the triangle) and avoid to go with all your treasures in a unguarded town (or to junktown), if you don't love thrilling and risk maybe this is not the game for you.

Okay, that solves the problem then. No idea that was available. Still not modivated to start over again though. Maybe I'll change my mind.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.