"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 03, 2024, 08:11:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Beginners Guides Competition!  (Read 32693 times)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Beginners Guides Competition!
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:31:42 am »

As proposed by Sius in a suggestion thread, we are starting today the Beginners Guides Competition!

There are three contests in this competition. Each contest is about writing one guide. The best three guides in each category will be rewarded (See below for the rewards details). You can participate in one, two or three contests by writing one, two or three guides (But not more than one guide in each contest).
The competition starts today, June 14th, and will end the 1st of July.

I just want to say that you should not hesitate and use also images, links and other creative stuff in your guides. Simple text guides are good but we are looking for the best guide here, not the average. Once upon a time this was a great guide for newcomers (warning: its in Czech). Also don't forget to mention great utilities and stuff from tools+mods section. Character calculators, transparent UI, namecolorizing editors... all that stuff is completely unknown for newcomers so it will be good to put some of it to your guides.

I. Getting started guide
Post your guide here.
This guide shall contain instructions about how to install the game, details of character creation, crafting, combat modes (RT/TB), tips about what you think is necessary, presentation of the game's most important towns, reputation system, basic commands, important game rules, etc.
The perfect thing for this guide would be to write it so that it leads a newcomer that never heard of Fallout 1&2 from the very beginning of the game install to the first levels, with solid knowledge on how to grow stronger. Try to see the game as if it was the first time you were playing it.

II. Combat guide
Post your guide here.
This guide shall be read by a newcomer that hasn't made any character yet, and wants to fight in PvP, but also in PvE (Two subguides ?). It is necessary to write fully detailed guides for all kinds of builds (SG/BG/EG/Unarmed/Throwing/Mercs-leader) and their sub-builds (Big Gun using a minigun or a rocket launcher, Small Gun using a P90 or a Sniper Rifle, etc). Ways to get your gear, basic combat tactics and Town Control system should be explained here too, as well as everything you think is useful. For players that would like to fight NPCs, it should contain informations about combat modes (TB/RT), slavery, crafting, encounters, FOnline's geography and also all kinds of informations that would be useful for a PvE player (Caravan carts, useful skills, and why is it interesting to do PvE only ?).

III. Crafting guide
Post your guide here.
This guide is meant to be a complete crafting guide. Most of the crafting formulas/requirements are on the wiki, so don't bother writing them in your guide (but you can put links), but you have to explain here what is crafting, how to craft, how to mine, what can be crafted and how, where you can find books, workbenches, what's the most useful to craft (in order to use it or sell it), and any hint or advice that is needed.

Rewards
For each contest, best three guides will be rewarded. All in all, 9 guides will be rewarded, 6 PAs will be given, 3 cars, 7 items and 100.000 experience points!

1st place
Guide written on wiki and kept up-to-date by wiki team.
+

x1 Hardened Power Armor
+

x1 Chryslus Motors Highwayman
+

x50.000 experience points
+
x2 craftable items (Chosen by player)

2nd place

x1 Power Armor
+

x30.000 experience points
+
x3 craftable items (Chosen by player)

3rd place

x1 Brotherhood Armor
+

x20.000 experience points
+
x2 craftable items (Chosen by player)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:27:40 pm by Lexx »
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

balio666

• TSAR
Re: Beginners Guides Competition !
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:01 am »

So PA will be introduced in game, and left in tents by owner ofc...

Balio, Sunder, Snooky, Nopa, Lanza, Wyrn, Slevin, Avarice, Nevins, Alistar

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:43:23 am »

That's why we can safely introduce 6 PAs =p
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:44 pm »

Craftable Items... Does that include ammo?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »

Yes, if you think one bullet is worth it, we'll spawn it =P
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:42:02 pm »

Yes, if you think one bullet is worth it, we'll spawn it =P
Lol, you can't craft 1 bullet, you can only craft 50 or 100 ;D

OK, another question, does the guide has to be like Microsoft Word document or just post it in the forums?
Oh and another one  ;D Do you have to write all 3 guides?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »

Post your guide here.

So it's on forum, not on Word.

Oh and another one  ;D Do you have to write all 3 guides?

You can participate in one, two or three contests by writing one, two or three guides (But not more than one guide in each contest).
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:10:09 pm »

all i know is if i get that power armor i'll be the first guy in game to get blown up wearing it.
plasma nade your face off!

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »

I just want to say that you should not hesitate and use also images, links and other creative stuff in your guides. Simple text guides are good but we are looking for the best guide here, not the average. Once upon a time this was a great guide for newcomers (warning: its in Czech). Also don't forget to mention great utilities and stuff from tools+mods section. Character calculators, transparent UI, namecolorizing editors... all that stuff is completely unknown for newcomers so it will be good to put some of it to your guides.

Anyway I'm looking forward to see the results.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »

Thanks, quoted in first post.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

iiitachiii

• Sorry Sir, may I snipe ur ass?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

Excellent idea. I'll do it myself but I'm just too lazy and noobish lol.

Let's see what the people comes up with ;D

Don't fuck with Brahmins.

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:11:03 pm »

If someone writes 3 best guides (Not me ::)), can he/she get 3 awards?
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:12:04 pm »

Yes.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »

Even though its not on the competition section, i would say that also counting in the tips and tricks for newbies guide vedaras made
would be appropriate simply because its one damn impressive piece of work which covers quite many choices and sections. Making your character, leveling up
and making fortune to be exact, and it explains every choice really well.

Im not too good with words but i must say once again that it sure is one DAMN impressive guide and not
counting it in would be a mistake.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:02:20 pm by Kardia »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »

If he doesn't post his guide into the appropriate thread we won't count it.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 18 queries.