"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 21, 2024, 09:46:12 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beginners guide competition  (Read 5838 times)

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
Beginners guide competition
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:36:42 pm »

As the title says this will be about guide for beginners. Its nothing new under the Sun that FOnline is very user unfriendly and especially for newcomers. And since changing this fact ingame will take a little longer I believe that there should be more support for newbies here on web sites. I know there is a whole survival section and all that stuff but to be honest to complete newbie it does not help much and most of people that are playing today simply made it there with try-fail method. So maybe if there is a competition for people to make guides for beginners (with awards of course) it might help to improve this situation.

There could be 3 main kinds of guides to compete in:

- Getting started guide (FOnline environment, UI, basic introduction into char development, crafting, survival, general game mechanics...)
- PvP guide (with sub-guides for SG, EG, BG, less common PvP builds, basic combat tactics, introduction to TC...)
- PvE guide (close eye on crafting, grouping, slavery and other FOnline PvE features

Top 3 guide writers will receive ingame rewards such as Highwayman car, 15k caps and one of the following to choose: bozar/gaus/vindicator/pulse
And one award should be player chosen and winner of that one will get lets say PA of his choosing.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: Beginners guide competition
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:17:17 am »

I like this but the rewards........  Awesome yes but...  Such a thing will be declined by devs, trust me.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:26:57 am »

The weapons are fine IMO, but I see no future for PA anywhere in this game.

John.Metzger

• Hey Joe.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:11:49 am »

there are many helpfull treads for newbis but they are buried somehow.
it seems like a good suggestion to make it more atractive for powerplayers to post something helpfull.
and we can find out which path a wastelander can pursue.
sounds like roleplay huh?
competition good.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:46:06 am »

How could 3 PA somehow affect gameplay? They will most likely end up in someones tent or base and we will never see them in combat what so ever so there is no reason why not to reward those best guides even with PA. Anyway it does not matter what the award will be, but it should be something worth and something that fits current server economics. So even those 15k caps are like pocket money that almost everyone can get in few days. So imho cars, guns, armors, special skins (who would not want to play as Horrigan? :D ) are way more attractive than even 100k caps.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:29:56 am »

If we actually see comprehensive guides from this I dont see anything wrong with the odd PA here and there. As Suis says they'd probably be safely locked away in a tent anyway :P
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 02:33:39 pm »

If we actually see comprehensive guides from this I dont see anything wrong with the odd PA here and there. As Suis says they'd probably be safely locked away in a tent anyway :P
The top 3 guides should be Sticky'd in the forums. An ingame trophy title would be nice, or even let me start writing some new quests and NPC Dialog. That would be super cool.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 04:04:51 pm »

Well I posted this in suggestions forum on purpose. I suggest that you organize such competition :D. Make an official announcements in news forum + at blog and I believe that there will be some results.

Edit: there are dozens of players that are eager to help with skins, quests, storyline but they lack programming skills to become one of the devs but this could give them opportunity how to help yet without the need of any scripting language and other stuff like that. And if one is not grammar nazi then nothing stands between him and fresh new PA. Well maybe only other players if there will be any ;).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:26:25 pm by Sius »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Good idea !
And best guide shall be copy/pasted on wiki, where it will be updated when needed.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

Sius, I must applaud you. And yeah, they probably would just be locked away like everything else that's good.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »

Well can we expect anything like this happening?

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

Is there any date of ending for this competition?
And also, how would you get pulse/gauss rifle if they aren't implemented ingame already? And some devs are saying that adding weapons like that would unbalance whole game.
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »

Is there any date of ending for this competition?
And also, how would you get pulse/gauss rifle if they aren't implemented ingame already? And some devs are saying that adding weapons like that would unbalance whole game.

1st of all competition has not started yet.

And those weapons are ingame, they are just not accessible for players but they are "coded" there. And as Solar said few PAs or Big Fu***** Guns won't destroy game balance  ;).

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »

And those weapons are ingame, they are just not accessible for players but they are "coded" there. And as Solar said few PAs or Big Fu***** Guns won't destroy game balance  ;).
We'll see. I am almost sure that minimaly one of Devs would have pretensions about it if someone will use this weapon.

And, so how would it be? Any date of start? :P
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »

There is already a special encounter where hi-tech things can be found and its not unheard of for PA to be given out as a reward for lesser things than this.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.097 seconds with 21 queries.